Lifeboats

Scanning radio frequencies in Yorkshire & Lincolnshire
suttoncoastguard
Regular
Regular

Lifeboats

Post by suttoncoastguard »

Hello I have just joined the group.

I was in North Wales over Christmas and New year and I heard a Lifeboat talking to its station but it was not on a marine frequency. I was told it was UHF.
Can anyone tell me if it usewd in the UK and if so what are the Frequency please?

Thanks

Ken
Andrew
Banned
Banned

Re: Lifeboats

Post by Andrew »

Off the top of my head I cant think of a uhf, which frequency was it, if you can remember?
Banned Account
suttoncoastguard
Regular
Regular

All can remember is that the one outside the station was using a hand held.
StoatTB

Post by StoatTB »

I think the handhelds maybe UHF, perhaps that was what they were referring too. :?
Scott_93
Call Sign: Sunray20Alph

Post by Scott_93 »

Maybe they got the UHF and VHF mixed up and he was just on a marine VHF on the RNLI private channel or even zero ????

Scott.
Andrew
Banned
Banned

Post by Andrew »

Lifeboats, inshore or otherwise, apart from using 16 to call the coastguard station, only generally use Ch 0, 31, 67 or 73 at a push, and even 31 is only used to contact the lifeboat station when in close proximity. Largs ILB which is about 20 miles up the coast to me uses 31, Troon, about 3 miles away, don't.

They only usually use uhf on ships like freight ferries and passeger ships. It most likely was a vhf handheld, lifeboats don't need lots of channels.
Banned Account
suttoncoastguard
Regular
Regular

I have the problem solved as I received a email from a friend and they are using PMR 446 and they use it when they are about half a mile from their station.

Ken
Andrew
Banned
Banned

Post by Andrew »

157.550 is a private lifeboat channel (Marine 31) I wonder why they don't just use that. There must be a logical reason.
Banned Account
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter »

suttoncoastguard wrote:I have the problem solved as I received a email from a friend and they are using PMR 446 and they use it when they are about half a mile from their station.
It's surprising who does use 446, one of the customs cutters out of Shoreham uses it for a lot of on board comms, mainly I think down below as I've had a close call from it when down there watching it leave but it soon dropped out. I guess it makes sense in a way, some crappy 446 handset is a lot cheaper to write off if you drop it in the oggin.
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.
MikeSE9
Regular
Regular

Post by MikeSE9 »

They might not have be talking about Lifeboat things, so would needed to use another band
Fell rescue use UK general (UK light) in parts of Yorkshire when providing comms for walks as they can only use the rescue frequencies when on a call out or an official exercise.
radio_ryan
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radio_ryan »

good Morning people

yes there is a UHF channel ILB use, but i can not find it in my data base.

i have phone a friend and been told there are 6 uhf channel and not in 446. but can not tell my due to his job

hope this is of help
radio_ryan
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radio_ryan »

hello all

just found this hope it is of help to some one the S&R for hull but it may be the same channel has you where looking for pluss for other i have to

449.45 S&R Hand held

Hull marine

456.65 north sea ferries
456.725 north sea ferries

453.25 hull docks
456.55 hull docks
462.275 hull docks
462.35 hull docks
462.425 hull docks

can any one who hears talking an the chnnel let me know so i can update my last hear has i have have not been to hull for aound 1 1/2 years
phillmobile
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by phillmobile »

if you was listening to it you tell us
Andrew
Banned
Banned

Post by Andrew »

radio_ryan wrote:good Morning people

i have phone a friend and been told there are 6 uhf channel and not in 446. but can not tell my due to his job

hope this is of help

Never mind the 'it's my job' crap'! Four UHF channels I can think of off the top of my head are, and they are listed quite publically are:

457.500, 457.525, 457.525 and 457.550.

They are all in duplex too.

I hear them in use from ships anchored in Irvine Bay. If anyone is really determined to find them, they will just search 'til they get a hit. If they moved the frequency, they would just search again. My Uniden spends most of it's life in search mode, rather than scan, as it serves both purposes doing that. Your friend possibly doesn't know, so just said he can't tell you.
Banned Account
radio_ryan
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radio_ryan »

Andrew wrote:
radio_ryan wrote:good Morning people

hope this is of help

Never mind the 'it's my job' crap'! Four UHF channels I can think of off the top of my head are, and they are listed quite publically are:

457.500, 457.525, 457.525 and 457.550.

They are all in duplex too.

I hear them in use from ships anchored in Irvine Bay. If anyone is really determined to find them, they will just search 'til they get a hit. If they moved the frequency, they would just search again. My Uniden spends most of it's life in search mode, rather than scan, as it serves both purposes doing that. Your friend possibly doesn't know, so just said he can't tell you.

I do not live by the sea only visit,

when my friend told me he can not give the channels out, due to his job for the cost guard (unpaid) . I believe my friend when he says lhe can not tell me, i will not ask he agine. Like i will never put on the channel we use where i work.

has before the channel i use when by the sea are channel 00, 0 6, 16, 31, 99 are the channel i use.

if you find then when scanning that is fine and you can post them on here. and we help each other out with information and are own finding and working together we will find the information we are looking for.

i would like to point out to the preson who put that message my about my job C*** that was out of order i my friend says he can not tell he can tell.

ryan