Alton Towers

Scanning radio frequencies in the West Midlands
RadioNerdz
Call Sign: 2E0

Re: Alton Towers

Post by RadioNerdz »

Their system is still 100% analogue, mainly VHF, but did see a few UHF sets.

Equipment in use; GP340 and IC-F15 plus a few HYT sets (not sure on the model, think TC-610).

Thought they'd be using TRBO, would appear not, didn't see a single digital set over the two days I was there.

Wish I'd taken a scanner now, just presumed they'd be using TRBO like the rest of the Merlin attractions.
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Gemini4 »

whatever they're using RadioNerdz..i still can't seem to pick em up now :(
benw18

Post by benw18 »

I can confirm that Alton Towers are now in migration from analogue to digital. Managers are using DP3600's and general staff DP3400's.

They are still 90% analogue (and using TRBO in analogue), but DR3000 repeaters have been installed, which could also answer why the power has been turned down a little bit. No specific date when they will fully migrate, but I have a feeling it won't be until next year.

TRBO carriers can be heard on a few of the allocated channels. Lots of staff are still carrying GP340's and vintage Icom's but I imagine they will change over fully during the down season.
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Gemini4 »

why would this thread be moved to west midlands..its no where near the west midlands :?: its in staffordshire.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Erm... because Staffs is in the West Midlands? :?
Minus1
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Minus1 »

You are getting confused between the West Midlands region which includes Staffordshire, and the West Midlands county (which no longer exists anyway — other than nominally for the Police Force and Fire Service).

The confusion is because the government were too clueless to come up with a new and unambiguous name for the region (such as 'Mercia').

http://www.education.gov.uk/nationalcol ... egions.htm
KEY : = channel/stud | ~ = CTCSS/DCS | ^ = transmitter site | ¯ = overhead | * = trunked
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Gemini4 »

Minus1 wrote:You are getting confused between the West Midlands region which includes Staffordshire, and the West Midlands county (which no longer exists anyway — other than nominally for the Police Force and Fire Service).

The confusion is because the government were too clueless to come up with a new and unambiguous name for the region (such as 'Mercia').

http://www.education.gov.uk/nationalcol ... egions.htm
absolutely correct..my mistake apologies made. :oops:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staffordshire