Surveillance

Scanning radio frequencies in Wales
alannah
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Surveillance

Post by alannah »

Heard what sounded like a surveillance operation taking place in the Caerphilly area yesterday on 173.050 simplex at about 08.00 hrs. Appeared to be a couple of vehicles following someone - poss DSS ?

Anyone else heard anything ? - Could be worth a listen.

168.9125 used to be a popular frequency for the DSS in this area but havnt heard this being used for a while.
delta79

Re: Surveillance

Post by delta79 »

173.050 is used by St John Ambulance England.
MikeSE9
Regular
Regular

Post by MikeSE9 »

Hi
173.0500MHz is a UK General frequency so it might be any one
Mike
alannah
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by alannah »

yes I'm aware of the users of the frequency. The Proma database also lists the frequency as being used by government agencies for surveillance. As does the UK scanning directory.

Why would St Johns be involved in a surveillance operation ?

I listened for about 30 mins.
The guys talking were following 'a target vehicle' and recording it with video camera amongst other things, when they arrived at the park and ride they stated it was too risky to get out and follow the target on foot at this time and at this point decided to switch to mobile phones. The DSS around here used to use 168.9125 but havnt heard them for a while on that frequency.
MikeSE9
Regular
Regular

Post by MikeSE9 »

Others do surveillance operations as well not connected with the government (TV and news papers + a few more).
Sill you will have some to listen to
Mike
alannah
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by alannah »

Yes thats true - as a matter of interest, at what time of day did you hear it ?
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

Hi Alannah

I also heard this operation in the Caerphilly area - lasted for about a week in total on the frequency you quoted. Whoever it was sounded very professional. The DSS and Customs have traditionally used simplex unencrypted VHF frequencies for a number of years in this part of the country

The DSS in particular used to use 168.9125 simplex as you stated. Caerphilly Job Centre used to watch people signing and communicate with a vehicle outside if they wanted anyone they suspected of working to be followed. I havent heard them on that frequency for a while so it is feasible they have migrated to the UK general channels.

Dont be put off by the negative people. Keep posting the interesting stuff !