dmr md-380

Scanning radio frequencies in Wales
welshy9
Regular
Regular

dmr md-380

Post by welshy9 »

hi guys took the plunge and baught one of these ,

has anyone got any saved files for this radio untill i get used to it for cardiff ,

im planning to put the md380tools firmware on there and gonna start reading how to add plugs / codeplugs etc

Thanks guys

mark
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: dmr md-380

Post by thelad »

Lots of help on Facebook groups and Youtube, should be up and running in no time.
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
welshy9
Regular
Regular

Post by welshy9 »

ive been looking mate and its confusing lol
but it dont help when the kids are screaming and running arround ,
so far ive put the md380 tools on there and installed the user database on there lol
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Post by bigbloke »

I dont have a codeplug for cardiff , but I can tell you that most of the "interesting" traffic will not be
readable on an MD380.

The central store and pub network (charlie romeo) in the centre uses TETRA (different digital mode) that the MD380 wont pick up
A lot of the council services (highways, telecare, viridor binmen etc) have moved onto a DMR TIER3 system
which has a feature called RAS (restricted access to system) which the MD380 cannot read. The same is true of
Cardiff castle. parts of the millenium stadium use TETRA too.

Thats not to say theres nothing to listen to - there is! but you'll need to hunt it The MD380 is a great radio (
I have 4 here and an MD9600) but its a limited digital scanner, and not a hunting tool

Do you have a regular scanner with a discriminator tap or an RTL-SDR with SDR# software and a copy of DSD+ ?
You're going to need those to find the DMR signals initially, then once the 4 parameters for each channel are known to you
(frequency, timeslot, colour code, talkgroups in use) you can use those fields to programme your MD380. if you load the
3rd party firmware it adds an additional mode called "promiscuous" which reduces the list to 3 parameters and if you use
one particular version (ty toolz) you get a colour code scanner as well.

but bear in mind that your MD380 can only give you direct access to 16 channels at a time, and can only scan 30 at a time.

Sorry if this sounds like bad news but I thought it best to "tell it like it is" . If you're looking for a "turnkey" solution for DMR scanning
I'm afraid its sell the MD380 and invest in a whistler / uniden 3600.

Couple of known DMRs to start you off if you have the md380toolz with the colour code scanner (I'm not going to share colour codes,
and talkgroups anymore via a web forum due to experiences with various d***heads - no names/ packdrill)

UHW security 453.5125
Roath Storenet 453.475
senedd 456.475
national assembly 453.8125
central station - 453.950 "I think - might be Newport?"

Regards

BB
welshy9
Regular
Regular

Post by welshy9 »