Cycle couriers Cardiff area

Scanning radio frequencies in Wales
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Cycle couriers Cardiff area

Post by Mikel »

Have been listening to these guys for a while. Monday to Friday between about 9.00 - 18.00 hrs.

165.700 MHz base

170.500 MHz mobile

Best to listen on the base/repeater frequency 165.700 MHz.

Can make interesting listening at times, with crashes, punctures, arguments etc. Should be able to be heard over a large area as the mast is located north of Cardiff, above Lisvane on the ridge between Cardiff and Caerphilly.

License details taken from the WTR are as follows:

Commercial Radio Systems Limited

Address

Unit 30
Bessemer Road
Commercial Radio Systems
CARDIFF
CF11 8BA

Licence class

Business Radio (Technically Assigned)

Tradable licence

Y

Licence start date

16-05-2013

Frequencies and locations

Location(s)

ST 18900 85100

TX: 165.7 MHz
RX: 170.5 MHz
Bandwidth: 12.5 kHz
Colour Code: 14

TX: 166.1125 MHz
RX: 170.9125 MHz
Bandwidth: 12.5 kHz
Colour Code: 15

http://tinyurl.com/q5lz3ez

Heard nothing on the other licensed frequency yet and interesting that the license details give colour codes as all comms are analogue so far with the repeater operating with a ctcss of 179.9

The map below displays the location of the mast above Cardiff:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
welshevo
Call Sign: 163TM995

Re: Cycle couriers Cardiff area

Post by welshevo »

interesting ... as i thought i seen one of these couriers using a motorola DP3400? which is a DMR radio? unless they are due to switch over and are still using the old VHF analogue stuff? ...but excellent find!! well done
:thumbup: Tetra is a Lonely place! Get DMR instead! (163TM995) ...... :thumbup:
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

They used to be heard on 165.0375/169.5375 for a long time but this was (still is?) a community repeater.

I seem to remember that a waste company was a heavy co user of the channel and communications for the courier company were difficult at times and the length of transmissions were restricted, you could hear 'time out tones' on longer transmissions.

Possibly why they moved as I have not heard any other users on the 'new' frequency (been on 24/7 for ages). It wouldn't surprise me if they switched over to digital radios - seems to be the way things are heading!
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
Bruin
Regular
Regular

Post by Bruin »

I Listened to them most days from here in Fairwater. Now I get binmen on there in the afternoons.
Bruin
Regular
Regular

Post by Bruin »

Binmen active on 165.0375 now. Certainly not as entertaining as the couriers.
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

Bruin wrote:Binmen active on 165.0375 now. Certainly not as entertaining as the couriers.
Yeah same here, just Binmen active on 165.0375, probably why the couriers changed frequency to 165.700. They say there's nothing worth listening to these days but I enjoy listening to the couriers.

It must be a hard job especially when the weather is bad. They take turns on the cargo bike for larger parcels, that must be hard work in itself.

The cargo bikes they use in Cardiff are similar to the ones pictured below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.