Augusta Westland AW-192?

Scanning radio frequencies in Wales
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Augusta Westland AW-192?

Post by Mikel »

Very strong signal this afternoon on Polycon frequency 419.1125 Mhz FM. I assume this was an Augusta Westland AW-192 rescue helicopter out of St Athan ?

Received for about 15 mins, but could not hear or see any aircraft at the time. Three different conversations in progress.

Plymouth Rescue could clearly be heard in the background, along with what sounded like local air traffic control and aircrew discussion. All being transmitted at the same time.

Radio was a Uniden 3500 with a Watson W889 Tele-Gainer set top antenna but with an 85cm (33 1/2 inch) telescopic fitted in place of the original. Scanner was upstairs near window.

I had Plane-Finder running at the time but could not see the helicopter on there for some reason?
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Augusta Westland AW-192?

Post by thelad »

Was maybe too low/out of range for Mlat plotting. Are running at St Athan? All the coms now seem to run through the Polycon so you could hear Vhf/Hf and Airwave on it aswell as crew chatter onboard or even chopper to chopper.
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Augusta Westland AW-192?

Post by Mikel »

Thanks for the information. They have 2 AW-192 at St Athan apparently. I thought the non display on Plane-Finder may have been a height issue.
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................