Velothon Wales 14th June

Scanning radio frequencies in Wales
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Velothon Wales 14th June

Post by Mikel »

Big cycling event coming up on Sunday June 14th, covering 5 local authority areas - Cardiff, Caerphilly, Newport, Torfaen and Monmouthshire. This event will be televised and many roads will be closed for most of the day to let the 15000 riders through safely - much to the annoyance of many residents and local traders.

I expect a lot of radio traffic both on the ground and airborne. This event will be taking place for at least the next 5yrs.

A lot of locals don't yet realise they wont be able to drive anywhere on the day - should be fun watching the local council estate drug dealers trying to get through the road blocks.

Info below from Velothon website:

Velothon Wales

Combining a closed road sportive alongside a UCI sanctioned professional race, Velothon Wales promises to deliver a weekend of cycling on a scale that Wales has never before witnessed.

On the 14th June 2015, 15,000 riders will make history as they roll across the start line in the heart of Cardiff and embark on a completely closed road cycling sportive that takes in some of Wales’ most breathtaking scenery. Offering a challenging 140km route for experienced riders and a 50km route for those looking for a slightly less intense day in the saddle, Velothon Wales appeals to cyclists of all abilities.

http://www.velothon-wales.co.uk/en/the- ... vent-info/
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
welshevo
Call Sign: 163TM995

Re: Velothon Wales 14th June

Post by welshevo »

ah perfect with plenty of comms being used it should make for good listening! i wonder if it will be a DMR affair or Analogue!
:thumbup: Tetra is a Lonely place! Get DMR instead! (163TM995) ...... :thumbup:
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

welshevo wrote:ah perfect with plenty of comms being used it should make for good listening! i wonder if it will be a DMR affair or Analogue!
Analogue I hope, I'm not geared up for digital yet - I will be in Caerphilly town centre watching the stewards handling the road blocks. There's always a lot of friction with residents when the town is closed off for events, such as the 10k for example. The 10k is the weekend after the Velothon this year.

The scale of this event will make things much worse, some roads will be closed for around 9 hrs - the stewards are volunteers - they must be mad. Try keeping a knuckle dragger from his Sunday afternoon big mac and sparks will surely fly!

I would imagine they would be doing comms tests as its a very big area to cover radio wise - maybe a repeater in an aircraft will be used?
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
welshevo

Post by welshevo »

that is an impressive post! knuckle dragger was certainly a favorite of mine! hahah but yep a huge site to cover! so possibly a few dotted about? or IP linked Mototrbo repeaters in which case will be DMR? who knows.... ill def keep an eye on the SDR and see if there are any noticeable DMR popping up!:) watch this space if i find any useful freqs i shall let you know ;)
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Post by bigbloke »

lots of cycling related conversations on 446 and uk general uhf today around newport

regards

BB
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

bigbloke wrote:lots of cycling related conversations on 446 and uk general uhf today around newport

regards

BB
Thanks BB - Are you taking part in the event by any chance? I assume your the BB that has recently sprayed your daughters bike black? (CTC website)
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

Two very strong mobile stations on 159.4875 ctcss 123.0 at this moment discussing generators and repeaters. Stated that repeater should run all day Sunday with batteries but generator just in case. Sounded like they were accessing a track on the mountain going to 'site one'.

edit - whatever they set up I hope its secure or it will either be stolen set on fire or full of pellet holes - nice bunch around here!
welshevo

Post by welshevo »

Mikel.... am i likely to get that in Cardiff? and ill switch my handie on tonight and have a listen... hopefully i get to hear!
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

welshevo wrote:Mikel.... am i likely to get that in Cardiff? and ill switch my handie on tonight and have a listen... hopefully i get to hear!
Dont know, depends what mountain they were on I suppose - maybe Mynydd Machen as there are tv and pmr masts up there with a track to access the site. Good coverage from up there, you can see for miles all around. The GB3BC repeater was originally sited there before the costs became too high and it had a very impressive coverage.

I am in my partners place in Caerphilly today and can see the masts on Mynydd Machen out of the window.

Heard nothing for the last half hour from them, but if it was anything to do with setting up repeaters for the Velothon then they will be moving to other sites I should imagine.
welshevo

Post by welshevo »

Thanks for the info man! will fire the SDR up and a handie later on and see what i can find! i was hoping for a bit of DMR but looks as though they are sticking to VHF analogue?
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

welshevo wrote:Thanks for the info man! will fire the SDR up and a handie later on and see what i can find! i was hoping for a bit of DMR but looks as though they are sticking to VHF analogue?
Not necessarily - the team setting up could be using VHF analogue but they could be setting up DMR repeaters. Keep your ears peeled they are bound to test the system before Sunday.

Edit - on air again now - said 'leaving this site, will see you back at the hotel with the others'
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by bigbloke »

Mikel wrote: Thanks BB - Are you taking part in the event by any chance? I assume your the BB that has recently sprayed your daughters bike black? (CTC website)
Yes I'm BB on there too -must sync my avatars - and I sprayed the bike red - but added black accessories :-) see the pictures! - my own bike (german trekking bike - long wheelbase no bounce mountain bike) is having its black re-patched gradually.

I haven't had time to get involved with the whole velothon shooting match but I gather there is a "family section" in each major town as well as the "race" so I'll read up on it and may well give it a go depending on what else family has planned for the weekend.

I bulge where others knobble and havent done any racing for over 25 years !!

regards

BB
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

bigbloke wrote:
Mikel wrote: Thanks BB - Are you taking part in the event by any chance? I assume your the BB that has recently sprayed your daughters bike black? (CTC website)
Yes I'm BB on there too -must sync my avatars - and I sprayed the bike red - but added black accessories :-) see the pictures! - my own bike (german trekking bike - long wheelbase no bounce mountain bike) is having its black re-patched gradually.

I haven't had time to get involved with the whole velothon shooting match but I gather there is a "family section" in each major town as well as the "race" so I'll read up on it and may well give it a go depending on what else family has planned for the weekend.

I bulge where others knobble and havent done any racing for over 25 years !!

regards

BB
Thanks for confirming that BB and yes sorry I meant red not black - blame it on my teenage daughter who is obsessed with everything black at the moment!
welshevo

Post by welshevo »

Had a little look around on the SDR last night not a great deal going on... so will keep at it! and hopefully find the "marshalls" pretty soon! :D
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by bigbloke »

seems if you dont want to do it for charity then its next year or nothing

so, no, not partaking this year , but might watch some of it.

see what my Lad wants to do.

Regards

BB