Velothon Wales 14th June

Scanning radio frequencies in Wales
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Velothon Wales 14th June

Post by Mikel »

Unusual traffic on UK General 449.400 at the moment. Control doing radio checks with all checkpoints. Radio checks completed with 20 checkpoints. Not close to me though, hearing control S3 and could not hear all checkpoints, thats with dual band colinear in loft. Have not caught ctcss yet.

Edit - doesnt sound velothon related - possibly a school event - back to monitoring!

BB I am not taking part in Velothon, not keen on paying to go for a bike ride - could be fun I suppose but could be a bit hazardous with such a large group of unknown ability. But you never know how I may feel next year. I will be out and about on Sunday watching the 'fun'
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

Ok found repeater being tested on 163.275 ctcss 162.2. Full scale signal strength. 3 guys as far as I can tell. A lot of wind noise in mics. Just stated, mast at full height, Link capacity 2.31, Link loss 135.9, stand by for digital test with Moto DP3600, but nothing was heard.

May be nothing to do with velothon but sounds like possibly temporary mast being used so possible?

Edit Moto DP3600 - looks like an interesting radio.
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
welshevo
Call Sign: 163TM995

Post by welshevo »

ahhh so theyve brought Motorotrbo DMR capacity plus systems and handhelds 3600! lovely jubbly!! will get my SDR and have a scan around! :D
:thumbup: Tetra is a Lonely place! Get DMR instead! (163TM995) ...... :thumbup:
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

welshevo wrote:ahhh so theyve brought Motorotrbo DMR capacity plus systems and handhelds 3600! lovely jubbly!! will get my SDR and have a scan around! :D
No, no, no please no. Ha, ha sounds like it, dam going to have to buy a dongle soon. Frequency just fired up again with couple of bleeps.

Forgot to say 159.4875 ctcss 123.0 was busy briefly earlier again with 'Testing, testing 1,2,1,2' and heard the two mobiles talking whilst driving a few mins ago.

Edit - Have been monitoring Plane Finder and Flightradar24 for last few days but have not noticed any unusual aircraft activity yet suggesting testing of airborne repeater - but will keep an eye out until Sunday morning.
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

The repeater on 163.275 ctcss 162.2, input is on 158.775. This has been active all day, still active now - sure its Velothon related. Setting up multiple links.

The repeater they are using to communicate seems very close to me as its 60 over 9 on the LDG meter. They could be on one of the hills around Caerphilly but equally they could be further north as I get similar strength signals from amatuer stations working SOTA from the Blorenge Mountain.

They appear to be on farmers land somewhere but stated they haven't told the farmer yet as he is on holiday! Security recently arrived to watch the equipment tonight.

Talking about repeaters in Abergavenny and Langstone, which I believe is just outside Newport.
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Post by bigbloke »

got back to my data and i'm 98% sure that is a JFMG frequency

so the links are probably video point to point feeds , although
they could be IP links for DMR comms

regards

BB
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by bigbloke »

langstone is probably the surf telecom site on the side of the A449
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

bigbloke wrote:langstone is probably the surf telecom site on the side of the A449
You could be right there BB - listening to the conversation this morning, they have all links up and running.

They were having problems yesterday as connectors kept falling out - weather didn't help, Sound like ip links for DMR to me. Were running tests earlier with 'Moto' radios on channel 8.

Mentioned one link up on Sugar Loaf.

Ironically one guy was delayed getting to site this morning as road sweepers were out cleaning course ready for tomorrow!
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

local stewards/roadblocks so far received on:

462.3625 DCS 454

456.8625 DCS 246

456.3875 DCS ?

All analogue simplex

Great listening - all very angry drivers!!
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by bigbloke »

interesting - I picked up a new simplex DMR on 462.3625 yesterday

too damned busy to decode it yet :-/

regards

BB

{with plans all on head :-( }
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

bigbloke wrote:interesting - I picked up a new simplex DMR on 462.3625 yesterday

too damned busy to decode it yet :-/

regards

BB

{with plans all on head :-( }
462.3625 DCS 454 very busy - sounds like they are just about to tow a residents car away on Bedwas road.
welshevo
Call Sign: 163TM995

Post by welshevo »

Oh yes plenty of disgruntled drivers! Had loads on dmr this morning :)
:thumbup: Tetra is a Lonely place! Get DMR instead! (163TM995) ...... :thumbup:
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

Race radio on 449.4750
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: RDX64

Post by Mattylad »

AFAIK plenty of shopkeepers are not happy about it - they are losing business due to road closures.