Bit of advice needed

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Neil-Harrison
Regular
Regular

Bit of advice needed

Post by Neil-Harrison » 07 Feb 2006, 22:15

Hello to everyone,
I have been in and out of CB for 25 years. Over this time I have used all sorts of legal/illegal gear but never become an expert in the intricacies of the art. I am currently in possession of a Cobra 148 and want to set up a decent homebase aerial. What aerial would people recommend for doing good distance, and can anybody recommend a decent mounting system or will bunging it atop a scaffold pole do? Any other advice readily accepted. Also, is there a decent book that covers the topic in proper depth - ie;- explaining frequencies, bands, who can be found on where in the spectrum etc, etc, etc..........
Thanks
Neil
( CB handle was Magic Rat back in the '80's)

Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

Post by Guzzy » 08 Feb 2006, 14:27

Different people will give you different advice on which antenna is best.

Here's my opinion:
  • #1. Solarcon A99 (with Groundplane kit and Firetip if you want improved DX). It's a fibreglass shell around the copper antenna wire.

#2. Sirio 827 (with Anti-vibration ring if you intend on mounting it near your house, because it 'strums' otherwise). This one is alluminium tubing.
Both are VERY good. The Sirio is prone to bending in (very) high winds, in my experience. The Solarcon tends to just whip about, but not bend or break.

I think the Sirio may be the better 'antenna' though.

One important thing to remember: Don't buy cheap coax. Get good RG58 or even RG213 if you can.

As for mounting: I use a 20' scaffold pole for my Solarcon A99. Works just fine. :-)

Books:
  • Check out the: RSGB Book Section. They are the place to look when it comes to books on radio!
If you see a spam (or abusive) post, don't 'reply' to it, don't 'quote' it, don't start a new thread discussing it.
Report it using the Image ('Report this post') button, inside the actual spam post.

Neil-Harrison
Regular
Regular

Received with thanks

Post by Neil-Harrison » 08 Feb 2006, 16:21

Hi there,
Thankyou for taking the time to reply and thanks for the advice. Any and all is well received.
Regards
Neil

predator
Regular
Regular

Post by predator » 20 Feb 2006, 20:26

HAVE TO AGREE ABOUT THE A99 WITH THE FIRETIP FITTED THEY BOOM OUT.
LARGER THAN LIFE AND TWICE AS UGLY!