confusing frequencies

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

Post by Guzzy » 31 Mar 2006, 08:42

TimBucknall wrote:well your comment about Europe considering letting us use 27.555 USB gives me hope for the future
i wonder about the "Ru" & "PX" settings on multistandard rigs, does Russia really let CB'ers use those channels or is that just a cunning plan by the CB makers to let us have the whole band?
Russia is a BIG (and I do mean B I G) market for CB's. Unlike in the UK, or even Europe. They have a vast territory that wireless communications are actually useful for. Any manufacturer would be foolish to ignore that size market. The reason we get a radio that hints at those channels is purely because it's cheaper to make one radio that can be hardwired in the factory for different markets. It's a 'simple' solder job to change it.

It's not TX/RX enabled on European model 'multichannel' CB's (unless it is on your tti TCB!?!?!? Which would suddenly make the tti radios THE CB radio to buy! :-D )
TimBucknall wrote:if so , hats off to them for giving us what we want ;-)
during the last Sunspot peak i heard russian CBers on 25.615-26.955, 27.705-28.625 (naughty!)
but never 27.555 or 29.7-30.1mhz

also does Greece really allow 5 watts on AM or is it a misprint in the manual of my TTI TCB-880?
Misprint.
TimBucknall wrote:sorry to drift off topic, but i must mention the TCB-880 will scan the UK & CEPT bands unlike the maycom, i forgot to mention it in my review

theres a Net near me on 27.595 usb but i don't think they'll hear me til i get a better aerial up
there was some E's last night BTW but it was very brief, lets hope the real deal will happen soon, I'm not used to 27mhz e's I'm only familiar with band1/2 e's that only really get going at the end of may, i'm hoping we have a longer season down on 27mhz

from what little monitoring i've done Spain seems the most common country on 27mhz just like band 2 (87.5-108mhz)

can we get Transatlantic Sporadic E at 27mhz like we can get at 55mhz TV? or do we have to wait til the next solar peak to talk across the pond?
Don't expect anything till the next sun spot high.
TimBucknall wrote:questions questions so many questions! ;-)

thanks to anyone who read this far :D

oh yeah must mention when i first started listening on the UK channels i thought, wow theres a lot of activity near me! wrong! they're all a long way away using ridiculously high power theres no chance of them hearing me on 4 watts
one guy i heard even mentioned he was using 3.6kw which is a sure way to get a knock on the door
so apart from a friend 25 miles away who can reach me with 4 watts( so weak he doesn't even move the meter but i can understand him)
, i guess most of my contacts will be via Sporadic E and eventually F2
Good luck with your contacts! :-D
If you see a spam (or abusive) post, don't 'reply' to it, don't 'quote' it, don't start a new thread discussing it.
Report it using the Image ('Report this post') button, inside the actual spam post.

TimBucknall

Post by TimBucknall » 31 Mar 2006, 10:33

e's = Sporadic E propagation aka: "Short skip"

TimBucknall

Post by TimBucknall » 31 Mar 2006, 10:36

Thanks for the Info Mate, much appreciated
yes the russian channels are enabled on my TCB-880, but the tx power tails off above 29.2mhz
but receive is fine, throughout, and you can tx fine on 95% of the Russian Channels

its a nice little rig anyway, i got mine from Knights

Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

Post by Guzzy » 31 Mar 2006, 11:44

Now that's interesting...

On my Midland Alan 48 Excel and 42 Multi Hand Held, you can't receive or transmit on these frequencies. You get what sounds like background noise but nothing is actually picked up.

That makes the tti TCB CB's a very interesting alternative 'multi channel' radio.

Very useful info to have for people thinking about buying one of these 'multi channel' rigs.
If you see a spam (or abusive) post, don't 'reply' to it, don't 'quote' it, don't start a new thread discussing it.
Report it using the Image ('Report this post') button, inside the actual spam post.

TimBucknall

Post by TimBucknall » 31 Mar 2006, 12:15

see you on 25.615 :-)

andyandy

Post by andyandy » 31 Mar 2006, 22:04

2H2UZ wrote:How long's a piece of string?
Sorry to be a pain but theres an answer to that :lol: .

So here i go...

"double the length from one side to the middle!"

teapot
Regular
Regular

Post by teapot » 31 Mar 2006, 22:21

i run ssb on 27 555 at the it is only local people

teapot
Regular
Regular

Post by teapot » 31 Mar 2006, 22:25

very third thursday in the month on 27 535 there is a net meeting so any one on usb can join in