Old unloved radio gear still working gives me a buzz

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Old unloved radio gear still working gives me a buzz

Post by original45 »

does anyone else get a real buzz to find old radio gear for a couple quid at most looking unloved ,uncared for and after a little check over and dust off you try it out and blow me over it still works a treat.

As many of you may gather from my posts I'm not technical or too clued up on repair but I do love this old radio gear .
I really do and the buzz I get cleaning it ,checking over cleaning switches .
If it works I'm like a big kid.

Respect to you guys who save the broken gear from scrap by repairing it ,far too good not to be saved if possible.

Today's love and attentions were a old p,a speeker that back had Been pulled off. A Harrier cb swr power meter, a bremi 31 amp, none was cared for left in shed 30 years but all now works a treat.

Days back was a k40 antenna,and couple of psu bremi Altai .
Last year I found a big box of radios at booty £3 the lot , all bar one worked with minor tlc .
Credit to those manufacturers back in the day.

Dusty ,rusty,battered ,water damage most keep on ticking.
Mrs doesn't feel the same as I sell nothing but still that's the fun.
Happy days.
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Old rdio gear still working give a me a buzz

Post by 108EH002 »

An old hf radio on 27 MHz Ssb will give you goosebumps ;) :lol:

Picked up a Kenwood TS-940S with matching SP 940 speaker for £250,thesame price as a new legal ssb CB..........prefer the look of the 940 compared to a McKinley/Grant 2 but thats just me.
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Old unloved radio gear still working gives me a buzz

Post by original45 »

Oh yes I'm sure, I presently looking at hf radios .
Saw a mk 1 linc at booty ,hadn't the cash right their and guy never called me as agreed so presume sold it .

Looking for something that covers 40,60,80 so on but no rush.has go be older I guess.
Still love my cheap tatty but working junk lol.

Can't wait to feel the goosebumps
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

Plenty radios made from '83 - 2006 when I wasn't on,so have had to try many many cb radios.......just to see what I missed out on,you can speed the process of elimination up by going online ;)

Prefer radios with an analogue needle on the signal meter.

27.555 Usb
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Post by Tigersaw »

I have a Yaesu 840 for HF and a R71 as a SW receiver. Both are over 20 years old, but so well designed and simple to operate I keep returning to them despite all the features and performance enhancements of the other sets I either own or have tried.
Whilst my friends drool over the latest £3000 sets, I look forward to getting a 751A one day.
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

^^ Had a FT 840 and it worked well ^

27.555 Usb
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Fixing my wife's old vibrator gives me a buzz. As for her...
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

The Collector wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 15:02 Fixing my wife's old vibrator gives me a buzz. As for her...

Lol been their fixed that
wazuck
Regular
Regular

Post by wazuck »

Bit of lube will work wonders, hehehe
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

The Collector wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 15:02 Fixing my wife's old vibrator gives me a buzz. As for her...
You shouldn't have broken it in the first place. Then you wouldn't have had to repair it so she didn't notice! :lol:

Seriously though, it's a great feeling when you save a radio from the scrap pile. Not long since I got hold of a 360FM which had just about every essential part blown. All regulators, PLL, binary adders, driver, output... Got it working though and it's a lovely radio. Also just finished converting a President HR2600 to cover 26 - 30Mhz.

Never doubt yourself. Radio is a big learning curve, but it's well worth the time and patience.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

You did say you were keeping the A99 in stealth mode..............but I thought you would have went with the fire up stik........no wonder your banging out ;)

27.555 Usb
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

108EH002 wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 16:44
You did say you were keeping the A99 in stealth mode..............but I thought you would have went with the fire up stik........no wonder your banging out ;)
Very good :clap: lol

I've just had cause to fix my Panasonic TV soundbar. It's a 2-way speaker affair with small in-built sub and it decided not to work one day. I got it used from ebay 2 years ago and they're hard to come by as I wanted to get one the same make so you don't need yet another bloody remote control for it (we've got about 6 as it is!).

I took it all apart expecting to find nothing and to have to throw it, but I discovered a slightly tinged area on one of the 2 boards and thought that a solder joint in that area looked a bit brown. I desoldered it with some braid and resoldered it, expecting it to still be knackered. Bugger me if I didn't find it powered up and actually worked! The speakers on these new-fangled TV's are pretty pants, so it saved it from the bin and saved us about £300 finding a decent-sounding replacement.

My wife thinks I'm a hero too, although she knows full-well that I know bugger all about electronics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Old rdio gear still working give a me a buzz

Post by 108EH002 »

108EH002 wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 19:43 An old hf radio on 27 MHz Ssb will give you goosebumps ;) :lol:

Picked up a Kenwood TS-940S with matching SP 940 speaker for £250,thesame price as a new legal ssb CB..........prefer the look of the 940 compared to a McKinley/Grant 2 but thats just me.
Got bored of the kenny and sold it to a local,but he didn't want the speaker......it makes my CB's rx far better with the built in filters,compared to previous speakers I have used.

Old radio gear that's still working but unloved,can still do a turn for those who appreciate "old radio gear" :thumbup:

27.555 Usb