Remember your first time?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Remember your first time?

Post by Transwarp »

I was 14 years old and had a go with a mates :shock: I was nervous and the words didn't come out quite right :sick: but after a few goes I got in the swing of things and I wanted one for myself. It was illegal and naughty but there were many doing it and it was fun 8)

My own very first one was a Realistic straight 40 AM with a DV27 on a piece of sheet metal I got out of my dad's shed. I borrowed a power supply and swr meter and when I set it up in my bedroom one weekend I spent hours on it. My folks weren't best pleased with me for using my holiday spending money I'd saved up but it was worth the earache :clap:
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
sickboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Remember your first time?

Post by sickboy »

Yeah I was around the same age, my older sister's boyfriend got me set up with an old Midland 2001 AM rig and a DV27 on a car wheel, to begin with I only had the courage to ask for a 10-36 lol. That started a lifelong hobby that I can't shake (I've tried to a few times).
My first legal rig was a Harvard 410T 40 channel handheld, then I traded up to a brand new Amstrad 901, and that rig was the gateway to girls, parties and adulthood. I met my first missus on air and we went on to have 2 kids (and now 4 grandkids).
Ahh the golden years.. Wurthers original anyone?
Embrace your inner muppet !
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

1979 I was 12. Little did I know my dad was planning on buying me one and he took me to see his friend who used to deal with CB. He had a Midland 150M set up in his car and he let me have a play around and an earwig to the many people that were on the channels.

My dads friend then said "do you want a go?", I nervously nodded my head to say yes. He told me to go on to channel 14 and to say "One Four for a 10 36." I was a little bemused as I had no idea what a 10 36 was. I keyed the mic and in my best pre teen squeaky deep voice I repeated what I was told to say. Lo and behold a voice came back "11:45 good buddy." I was then told to say, "thanks good buddy." which I repeated without haste. And that was my first ever contact on CB.

I never shut up about it on the way home and we stopped off at a CB shop and my dad bought me the Big Dummy's Guide to CB Radio and a little receiver that had the CB channels on. Around 6 weeks later I had my first CB, a Colt 210 which my dad bought from his friend and I have never looked back since.
I will not be commanded, I will not be controlled.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

I Was about 12 and went to visit one of my pals, His mum answered the door and said that he wasn't home but would i mind helping her carry some bags upstairs, Anyhow i'm sure you can guess the rest, So i'll leave it there.

OOh you mean my first time on the CB :oops:

Like sickboy above i was given a midlands from my older sisters boyfriend, Think i was around 12, And i got it as an xmas present, It was used (Stingy basstard) No idea whatever happened to it,

Not sure what i used as an antenna, Probably the classic mobile whip on a biscuit tin and a car battery to power it, Back then it was buzzing, Every channel was packed full of breakers, Great fun, And very addictive
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Remember your 1st time.....
Transwarp wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 12:05 I was 14 years old and had a go with a MATES (condom) :shock: I was nervous and the words didn't come out quite right :sick: but after a few goes I got in the swing of things and I wanted one for myself. It was illegal and naughty but there were many doing it and it was fun 8)

I too thought he was on about losing his virginity :clap: :lol: :oops: :D :lolno: :thumbup:
andrew013
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT013

Post by andrew013 »

1979 14 yrs old midland 150m dv27 on a yank car bumper ch 25 listened for 3 days solid first words 10.36 then ch25 for a 10.36 , and hooked ch 25 being the geordie breaking channel (19 for mobile )
on air,tyne&wear,northumberland,durham,holy island,eu120+eu124 and anywhere from gateshead/north wales
scrap uk 40 give cbers L/M/Hcalling on 27.355/555 usb qsy 27.015 lsb/410 usb cb radio is for life not just for profits
i do cb radio not 11mtres,countrys worked 2015 with imax 2000 72
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Post by original45 »

I'm guessing 1977/78 harada telescopic disguised antenna in my old fellas Ford cortina mk3. Hygain 2 cb am bought of a trucker who used to sell cb radios New in boxes of a pub car park in whiteheath oldbury the Rowley rag, can't remember the guys handle though.I think he usrd to go weekly same time. Nod rings a bell but not sure
Sat down the drive of our house listening to the yank truckers on skip. Yes they even heard my call out.

Had issues with grounding the antenna on installation , a couple local cb blokes came and sorted it out . Gentleman Jim and drifter from west bromwich.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

Im sure this topic has been covered but hey it's a good one. After watching Convoy with the old man in 1985 I wanted a CB bad. My first time was chatting to a guy called Firefox after my folks got me a Ford Roadmaster 500 with a Tarren power supply and a DV27 mounted on the gas pipes ripped off the back of a fridge but that was soon replaced with a shiny new Thunderpole MK2 on the chimney which cost about £25 and RG58 was 25P a meter from Beamrite aerials in Cardiff. CB in Cardiff was busy as hell back then and I made loads of mates and a few girlfriends :P Good times indeed and I still cant leave the hobby alone :D
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Post by 26mb04 »

When I was about 12 in the late 90s my dad took me to a CB shop just outside Melton Mowbray (I think it's gone now...) and bought a Kernow Beta 1100 with a Thunderpole centre-loaded mobile whip with a mag mount.

My first time operating, I was hanging out the upstairs window with the antenna stuck on a biscuit tin, speaking to some older friends a few miles away and thinking this was great! The family car had a fibreglass body, so I had to stick the antenna on the funny X-spanner jack thing and balance it on the roof and hope it didn't fall off. I used to annoy the heck out of the local taxi firm on CH34, and I can remember being told (kindly) to get off CH9 by one of the older folks who monitored it.There used to be bingo in the evenings too! As in, 20+ stations who only ever came on for the bingo and then went away again until the next week. They had about 3 relay stations, so it must have covered quite an area.
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

Ahh yes ch9 and taxis. I recall local kids/teens talking on ch9 back in the day and it was really frowned upon then. They got 'warned' by older breakers for messing about on it, they didn't do it again! In the late 80's and onwards local Taxi driver's used to use ch16 high band in the split as their own private channel, good channel for testing linear amps out on at the same time as well :lol:
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

Ahhh I forgot about the nightmare taxi drivers that used to hog a few channels in Cardiff. A few of us used to give them hell and it ended up in the South Wales echo, I still got the cuttings so I will have to scan them and put them on here.
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Post by 26mb04 »

NightProwler wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 21:08 Ahhh I forgot about the nightmare taxi drivers that used to hog a few channels in Cardiff. A few of us used to give them hell and it ended up in the South Wales echo, I still got the cuttings so I will have to scan them and put them on here.
That'd be funny. I'll try and upload my (my mums, I was too young to have my own) CB licence with legit 2E0 callsign (2E0AN), from 1997 or thereabouts. It confused the local radio club to see a CBer with a legally issued 2e0 callsign, and only two letters after it!
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF