Cobra MKV Spares/Parts...

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
PeterA
Call Sign: 26TM2714

Cobra MKV Spares/Parts...

Post by PeterA »

Spent the best part of the last few days searching and reading every Thread and Post I could find about these as I have one that needs fixing...

Ended up with one of these years ago in a deal... unsure how it ended up without various parts although someone possibly robbed it of certain parts to keep as spares or to fix another?

The main item is the rotary encoder, anyone got any ideas what I can use as a replacement for the original as not much hope of finding a second hand one that someone would be willing to sell I don't think?

Any and all help/info appreciated...

Thanks.
WANTED
Galaxy Pluto, 2100, DX88HL, President Ronald (Or Equivalent)
SuperStar 3900 MK1
President Adams
Cobra 148 GTL
Fireproof
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM165

Re: Cobra MKV Spares/Parts...

Post by Fireproof »

As you may know working these are worth big bucks, actually just as spares they fetch silly money also.
Parts I would guess would be very hard to come by, maybe try Nick Black Spirit he is the resident radio tech on here.
Good luck with the repair.
SS3900
PeterA

Post by PeterA »

Fireproof wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 15:36 As you may know working these are worth big bucks, actually just as spares they fetch silly money also.
Parts I would guess would be very hard to come by, maybe try Nick Black Spirit he is the resident radio tech on here.
Good luck with the repair.
I've not seen one sell yet... but read all the older Threads/Posts on here about the frenzy and craziness that ensues!

I ended up having to sell all my gear/setup years ago due to one thing and another but kept a couple of bits back including this MKV to fix some day...

It will never be sold, if I can't repair/fix it now... I'll wrap and box it back up and keep my eyes open for another in the same kinda state/condition to pop up eventually!?! :crazy:

Appreciate the info, will drop Nick (BlackSpirit) a message!

Thanks. :thumbup:
WANTED
SuperStar 3900 MK1
President Adams
Cobra 148 GTL
Fireproof
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM165

Post by Fireproof »

No problem hopefully you will get it up and running very soon, awaiting to drool over the pictures.

73'S for now
SS3900
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Try sending "Radio Pete" a PM , or email . You don't have that many posts , so I'm not sure if you'll be able to . Anyway . I think he worked with John back in the day , so he may be able to help you with parts etc.

Sammy
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
PeterA

Post by PeterA »

Fireproof wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 15:36 As you may know working these are worth big bucks, actually just as spares they fetch silly money also.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cobra-Jentec ... SwtbxbqhVk

I knew to expect bidding/prices to be silly but thats just mental!?! :shock:

I own one and even I wouldn't pay that much, especially non working spares or repairs... {bnghd}
cb4ever104 wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 18:59 Try sending "Radio Pete" a PM , or email . You don't have that many posts , so I'm not sure if you'll be able to . Anyway . I think he worked with John back in the day , so he may be able to help you with parts etc.

Sammy
Hi Sammy,

Saw "Radio Pete's" replies in most if not all the threads on the subject when searching... dropped him a message earlier.

Definately picked the right forum to ask for help I think

Appreciate the info...

Thanks,

Pete. :thumbup:
WANTED
SuperStar 3900 MK1
President Adams
Cobra 148 GTL
PeterA

Post by PeterA »

Finally had time to get started on this...

Nick (BlackSpirit) replied to the PM I sent him and although couldn't help with spares gave me some helpful advice regarding the encoder...

Didn't hear back from Radio Pete unfortunately...

I've replaced everything except the encoder so far... which will hopefully be here soon!

I've also joined a local amatuer radio club and will be taking the Foundation exam in January...
WANTED
SuperStar 3900 MK1
President Adams
Cobra 148 GTL
satelitesid

Post by satelitesid »

Any iea what device the encoder feeds in to?
It may be neccessary to follow tracks, if you can see what it feeds and then find the spec for that device, it should be possible to work out what sort of encoder it is, and reverse engineer it
PeterA

Post by PeterA »

satelitesid wrote: 24 Dec 2018, 04:44 Any iea what device the encoder feeds in to?
It may be neccessary to follow tracks, if you can see what it feeds and then find the spec for that device, it should be possible to work out what sort of encoder it is, and reverse engineer it
Hi,

I'm following the advice given to me by Nick (BlackSpirit) ...
Recipient: PeterA
I dont have any parts at all for a MKV here and havnt done for years, But almost all rotary encoders are the same, as long as its the same shaft shape [MKV i believe is D shape] and length it can be wired up to work Usually just three wires, Input, Up, Down, Sorry i couldnt be much help.
Matched the shaft shape and length, plus the 3 wire contacts needed... Just got to wait for it to arrive now.

Only thing I need to double check is the orientation needed for the 3 wires that go to it.

I don't have the original, as it was missing... would have been easier if I did.

Appreciate the advice! :thumbup:
WANTED
SuperStar 3900 MK1
President Adams
Cobra 148 GTL
PeterA

Post by PeterA »

Finally got 5 minutes to grab afew pics...

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

And yes, that roger beep board needs to go! {bnghd}
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WANTED
SuperStar 3900 MK1
President Adams
Cobra 148 GTL
PeterA

Post by PeterA »

And a couple more pics to finish off...

4.jpg
5.jpg

Not tried fitting the Encoder yet, Were the originals indented or not... as the one I have isn't and not sure if I should fit it and see or get a different one? :think:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WANTED
SuperStar 3900 MK1
President Adams
Cobra 148 GTL
Queball
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Queball »

Cobra MkV-195x260.jpg
Mine has got an encoder but do have some original channel selectors to sell if you need one. Not sure if it will fit the MkV though.
gholdq on youtube.com
26TM265
26FB165
26CT066
26UK165
PeterA

Post by PeterA »

Queball wrote: 27 Mar 2019, 00:35 Cobra MkV-195x260.jpg
Mine has got an encoder but do have some original channel selectors to sell if you need one. Not sure if it will fit the MkV though.
Appreciate the offer but it needs a rotary encoder, that I do know... as you have a working one there is it indented like an original chanel selector... but not as coarse/clunky though?
WANTED
SuperStar 3900 MK1
President Adams
Cobra 148 GTL
Queball
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Queball »

I'll check when I get home. Will need to remove the channel knob. Am sure is just a rounded selector but has been sawn to made a idention so the original channel knob will fit.
gholdq on youtube.com
26TM265
26FB165
26CT066
26UK165
Retrodog
Call Sign: 26SW07

Post by Retrodog »

Just a thought,
The Yaesu FT747GX used a rotary soft click encoder for VFO control, I have no idea if it would work bought it might be worth looking at maybe?
I replaced one in mine many years ago, quite a simple small device.