Moonraker Minor, Weak output transistor?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
DavidB445
Registered New User
Registered New User

Moonraker Minor, Weak output transistor?

Post by DavidB445 »

Hey,
I picked up an old moonraker minor for cheap, sold as not working. Hoping that I can fix it for a cheap little radio for in the car.
I was told that it had been used with a high SWR and now the output is very weak. Connecting an SWR/PWR meter up to it shows virtually nothing for SWR or PWR. The needle moves probably 2mm.

Using my SDR I can see that it is still transmitting, carrier and voice, however as the meter suggests it's putting out almost no power. The local guys 10-20 miles from me come in very strong on the SDR, much better than this radio does even 5 feet away :lol:
As it's been a high SWR situation I'm guessing that the output transistor is blown or at least very weak.

It is a C2078, which I have ordered some new ones to replace it with. Just wondering if there's anything else I can check or replace?

Receive is still pretty good, I can hear all the locals with strong, clear signals. Just the transmit is almost non-existent.

Cheers :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.