Identify antenna by description.

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Identify antenna by description.

Post by original45 »

Picked up a cb antenna today and I'd like to know what it is please.
It actually resembles the sirio 27 signal keeper , about 5ft top section that's black plastic coated and wound top to bottom like the old dx 27 .
It has a threaded Top tip about 8" long for adjustment and the same type looking base as the signal keeper in to which 3 radials will screw in.

The guy suggested it was 80 s.

He had another again maybe 5 ft tall with a threaded top section for adjustment have about 10" this time,white smooth plastic coating.
Probably 2" dia this antenna from base to top then a short taper over which some sort of rubber boot red I believe covered the base of the adjustable tip .

Any ideas appreciated .thanks

No apparent mounting fixings so I guess it used clamps to attach to a pole. Standard plug fitting into base
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Re: Identify antenna by description.

Post by The Collector »

I think "Lemm" did a tripod aerial that sounds very similar. Try Google images and see if it's that one perchance :)
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

Ive had a few like that and they were all LEMMS. They dont work very well though, Well mine didnt.
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

It could be a lemm gpl 27 @86 although I can't find a real image other than some very poor modern sales advert printed type image.

I will Google more and try and measure it tomorrow see if I can confirm it .

Are they loft antennas as the 3 radial arnt very solid . I presume it needs to be pole mounted to keep radial from contact with floor.

I will try it in the week .
I wouldn't have ordinarily considered it but at £2 be rude not too.

Looks well made even if it hasn't good performance.

Nicely guessed , I imagine it must be such.

Cheers
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

For £2 you cant go wrong. They will sit in the loft or you can mount them on a pole. The ones I owned had LEMM stamped on the boss part and I had one mounted on my 4th floor flat balcony many years ago and worked most of Europe on it but we all know when the skip is good you can do that on a piece of wet string. Bargain for £2 anyway :thumbup:
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

The Collector wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 19:59 I think "Lemm" did a tripod aerial that sounds very similar. Try Google images and see if it's that one perchance :)
Used one of these about 8 year ago with orange rubber stoppers on each leg 30 ft up and it worked ok for what it was.
A brass plumbing fitting the same size will connect perfect onto the base with the tightening nut removed,as the antenna is a female and the plumbing fitting is a male connection and the diameter is big enough for the pl259 ;)
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
prettypolly
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26FB185

Post by prettypolly »

Heres one near me he or she uses it for swl listening ..
Screenshot_20180610-133912.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

This one has no lemm stamp on boss. The top section resembles the old dx 27 with a steel rod on top threaded base to see.
Has a coil wire wound top to bottom black plastic coated.

The 3 radicals are thin ,have white nylon end protectors and again is plastic shrink tube coated .these are not very strong and although hold the weight of antenna free standing I wouldn't leave it as such as their too flimsy in my opinion.

Radial measure 23" each x3 the antenna and boss 60"

Hope to try it soon.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Pics pics pics!!! :thumbup:
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
DrZ
New User
New User
Call Sign: 26CT2592

Post by DrZ »

Lemm Mini GP - £29.99 Late 1980's

I remember it distinctly because the little CB shop near me had one on display when I first got into CB and I thought this was the answer to all my problems! My parents initially woudn't let me have an antenna up, so I had a magmount on the proverbial biscuit tin. I was convinced that this little antenna would sit in my loft and perform like my mates Thunderpole 2. At least a couple of times a week I'd look in the window and drool at this antenna!

Took me months to save for it, and when I did, it was the guy in the shop that talked me out of it and told me it was rubbish, and that I'd be better off buying a 1/2 wave Silverod (£19) even If I only mounted it a few feet off the ground. Which I did, and my parents finally came around.