My 1980s gap 5/8 ,it's light compared to my Antron

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

My 1980s gap 5/8 ,it's light compared to my Antron

Post by original45 »

Visited dad yesterday after the dentist as he's considering moving home I thought it best I save my old gap from 80 s out his garage.
I had decades after removed its mounting plate for some reason I can't remember why maybe to utilise the steel .
Stupid mistake. Bit corroded but straight.
Found out my old harada telescopic disguised am cb antenna too ,pull up n push down jobby still with keys.

What surprised me on the gap was its weight ,compared to the antron I use today it's silly light.
I would have liked to put it up and compare it to the antron ,I'm sure a gain would be made.
Kind of got me thinking I may try pick up a used 5/8 wave to compare if nothing else for a spare antenna for base.

My first gap was up on 31' of scaffold pole and lasted about 5 years before heavy wind bent bottom section.
I read some of the cheaper variants today bend easily now.
Sirio I understand is about the best budget vertical for cb.

Against my better judgement I may pick up one of these venom hygain 5/8 wave antennas for a trial.
Seems a few varied cheapies around £30 on the market.
I imagine I could strengthen the base section with a plastic tube inserted internally or bamboo cane. Ensure all joints fit tightly and tape up well to save water ingress.
I read drilling a drain hole in base of some is advised too.

Then theirs the straight silver rod or versions with 3 too shorter radials however I guess replacing for longer tubes may be benefit ?
.I'm too reading some of these new 5/8 waves are only 18' ish, I thought these used to be 21' or over?
Sounds silly but sometimes enjoy buying the underdog and look at getting the best out of it by simple changes on the cheap or free if possible with other interests.so may try it with my cb too..
And if I'm honest I don't intend on spending £130 on a vertical antenna not this side of winning the lottery anyway.
I don't take the radio too seriously but do enjoy a bit of tinkering and a local gas on occasion.
Yes yes I know buy the sirio .
Don't waste your money. I hear you :thumbup: .
Nothing is what it was years back
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Re: My 1980s gap 5/8 ,it's light compared to my Antron

Post by Mudslinger »

The cheap rods are inferior to the Sirio in terms of performance as well as build. Spend the extra tenner or so and get the real deal.

Buy cheap buy twice...
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Looking at the sirio but keep finding references to water ingress on coil swr issues .
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

I know of 4 of them locally to me, and none of us have had issues.

The problem stems from relying on the sirio supplied "Waterproof" jointing sleeves. They are not very waterproof and you need to tape over them with PVC tape yo keep the water out, which you would do on the joins of a cheaper S-Rod anyway.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Ok I'm looking at sirio gpe 27 5/8 wave.
So I sent Nevada radio a email to confirm the actual length ,because I read posts that state antenna length is 19feet others 22 feet long.
Some 5 sections others 6 sections.
All for the same sirio 5/8 wave gpe.

So email arrives back from a guy called Tim, at Nevada.
Further to your enquires ,the length depends on the frequency you have it tuned to,ie at 27 mhz ,it would be longer than at 29 mhz which is why sirio say it's approximately 5,9 m long.
Which works out to the 19 feet Mark.

I could measure the antenna fully extended but that may not be the actual length once tuned to the particular frequency you want.
Hope this makes sense.
End of message.

So now I think to myself I'm confused, but doesn't the sirio gpe 27 5/8 have screws that fix every section in to place making it pretty much one standard length when fully installed and isn't it swr adjusted by a little threaded bit on top section.

I could be way off here as I havnt seen one first hand.

Is this info correct please.
Thank you
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

If you dont want to spend £130 on a CB antenna Original 45,just buy a second hand one at a fraction of the price.I used an 827 for a few year and they do work.
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

My GPE is around 20 feet long. 5 sections, plus the tuneable tip

My brother has a slightly earlier version which seems to be a bit longer at 22 feet, and has 6 sections plus the tunable tip.

They obviously tried to cheapen it up a bit, but it still seems to work the same.

The main sections have screws, the top bit is moved and retained by an allen grub screw. I set mine according to the instructions for the frequencies I use and the SWR was very good.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Thanks both. I have been looking at antennas with radials , the radials may cause me a problem though as I have the k t brackets in the best position however antenna will be kind of in a corner of a right angle wall with apex roof above both .

At present I use the antron and its not quite base above ridgeline however I have new poles to do so but because of neighbours don't wish it so all the time

I am hoping to see a improvement on rx tx and noise with what ever goes up next .
I am still concerned about the sirios water issue along with radial usability as they will fit but may not always be above ridge line UNless I get poles raised for a dx on occasions.

And then again I keep looking at antron ground plain and fire up ,or one of the other 22 foot silver rod types and no radials maybe or even lengthen them to work better.

I'm not in a high wind position either.

I can't see me shelling out on a new gain master either.
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

Keep an eye on the tree of gum for a localish second hand cb antenna Original45,not everyone wants top dollar for a second-hand Imax/Solarcon 2000.Spend a pound on white pvc tape,and make sure you tape up the joins 2 inch/50mm above and below the 2 joins,and then the pl 259 plug,leave swr rings in middle.Will work better than a silver rod/a99 ;)
Last edited by 108EH002 on 15 May 2018, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.

27.555 Usb
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

I will thank you. Last night I started looking into the Imax 2k as well as sirio 827 however latter has radials.

The Imax appeals as I imagine it's simular to antron which is pretty much put it up and forget about it pluss no radials.
Then I considered the noise without radials on 5/8 antennas.

World be nice to have a lighter antenna of alloy though for those having to erect it .

Finally got someone to being my antron 99 down to ground level today.
First handling of it confirmed fibres lifting not visible to my eye but to my skin lol.
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

Fine sand paper and yacht varnish/damp start might save it,Imax works fine here,not a heavy antenna as mine is on t n k brackets with a 14ft pole inbetween and put up by myself off 2 part ladder :lol:

27.555 Usb
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Spotted a used sirio gain master for £50 got a friend not far away who could collect too .
How does the gain master stack up against the Imax and 827 which I now understand are quality performers .

Would you use yacht varnish over fibreglass resin ?
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

The gainmaster seems a bit more sensitive to location and surrounding structures than the 827.

Some find it better than the 827, some worse depending on what is around it. Ideally it needs to be up high in free space.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612