Meter scale.

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM413

Meter scale.

Post by sureshot »

This might sound a daft question, but on an SWR /PWR meter I recently bought, I might have been reading it wrong. I know the SWR scale when setting, but was using the scale on the same bar across for the 10 - 100 watt scale. I think I've got it wrong. Not wanting to over drive anything would I be right in thinking the bottom lowest scale with FS is 10 watt. And the scale above the SWR is 100 watt scale ? I know it sounds daft, I'm just not 100% sure.
Thoughts appreciated :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CB call. Shipwreck.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: Meter scale.

Post by ch25 »

FS is not a Watt scale. It is field strength. It is oem scale, your meter does not measure that.
BTW it is junk meter.
Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

Yep it's for field strength readings Dave. Might be a cheap meter but it will be fine for what you want it for.
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

Use it for VSWR, and treat the Watts readings as a gauge of everything working - real power meters that are accurate are very expensive, compared to this one that's just a few quid.
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sureshot »

Ahh ok i see, its the line above the SWR scale that's the power scale then. Yes I'd only use it as a rough guide until i get something a bit better quality.
Thanks for the replys guys. :)
CB call. Shipwreck.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

SWR readings with that meter are very inaccurate.
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sureshot »

ch25 wrote: 06 May 2018, 12:41 SWR readings with that meter are very inaccurate.
Its not far off the radios SWR menu reading, very close. And yes i know that's not super accurate. Although i don't have another power meter atm i do have a trusty 10 year old SWR meter as a spair. The readings are the same.
So I'm happy with the SWR reading the same from three sources. Can't all be wrong.
CB call. Shipwreck.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

Dave that meter is fine for what you need. Just because it's not a gold plated Yaesu meter does not mean it wont do the job :D
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

Meter showing swr 1.4 instead of 2.0 indeed does the job xD
I never had Yaesu meter, but Zetagi could be accurate after calibration.
Chris
Kaliphan
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M0

Post by Kaliphan »

Main reason meters are inaccurate is cos the reverse sensor isn't matched to the forward sensor, it throws the ratio off, there is a way to get an accurate reading of SWR as long as the forward reading is the same every time you key up.

I've explained this before I think but:

Set the left switch to 10W FWD and the right switch to SWR.

Adjust the control so you get the needle to the 'SET' marking on the curved scale.

Without moving any of the switches or controls swap the patch lead from the TX socket and ANT socket over so your radio is on the ANT socket and your antenna is on the TX socket.

The reading when you key up on the meter is your SWR and it should be at least as accurate as using the meter 'the correct' way round and probably more accurate.

Power readings will be gibberish unless you connect the meter back the right way round.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

...but that then reads your RWS ;)
Kaliphan
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M0

Post by Kaliphan »

Well obvs, that's why the Rewop readings are gibberish too.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Pretty sure the op said that this meter gave the same SWR reading as another meter and the meter in his radio, so despite being labelled as 'junk', it seems to be working just fine to me.

On a budget, a cheap meter is still better than no meter. Also just giving blanket statements of 'its crap', it's junk', 'blah blah blah' helps nobody. Be constructive or be quiet, there's no need to put people down for the sake of it.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

MrWeetabix wrote: 10 May 2018, 09:06Pretty sure the op said that this meter gave the same SWR reading as another meter and the meter in his radio,
It does not prove anything.
MrWeetabix wrote: 10 May 2018, 09:06On a budget, a cheap meter is still better than no meter.
Sure. Useful when you need to check if you still have an antenna without looking through the window. Nothing else.
Chris
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

ch25 wrote: 10 May 2018, 11:59
MrWeetabix wrote: 10 May 2018, 09:06On a budget, a cheap meter is still better than no meter.
Sure. Useful when you need to check if you still have an antenna without looking through the window. Nothing else.
Chris
again, in this instance, his cheap 'junk' meter is reading the same as another meter and the meter in his radio.... so I'd say that whilst you may regard it as junk, it's giving a decent indication of SWR. You can't argue with facts.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |