Where to sit on ssb.

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM413

Re: Where to sit on ssb.

Post by sureshot »

I've had A99's up on roofs, generic 1/2 and 5/8 wave antenna up in houses I've lived at. Been on continuous since 2005. Was on for a short stint in 1991 first come on back then.
You have to go with what's doable when you got a 6x4' area to play with. I'm under no illusions its far from perfect. But I'm optimistic. ;)
CB call. Shipwreck.
andrew013
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT013

Post by andrew013 »

ch25 wrote: 28 Apr 2018, 09:53
MrWeetabix wrote: 28 Apr 2018, 08:59You can work DX on wet string,
In early 90's sure. Now we can only dream about that even at the maximum of the cycle. It's not gonna happen again.
Chris
so you have a tardis and been to the future then have you :lol: :lol: :lol: of course it can happen again they now transmit on water antennas so anything is possible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tIZUhu21sQ
on air,tyne&wear,northumberland,durham,holy island,eu120+eu124 and anywhere from gateshead/north wales
scrap uk 40 give cbers L/M/Hcalling on 27.355/555 usb qsy 27.015 lsb/410 usb cb radio is for life not just for profits
i do cb radio not 11mtres,countrys worked 2015 with imax 2000 72
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

Just observe sun activity, you will know what to expect next sunspot cycles. Big antennas and decent power is the key to success on high bands.
Lower, 30 or 40m sure, wire on fishing rod is enough.
Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

555 its a great chanel ive met loads of good contacts
love your familly
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

MrWeetabix wrote: 28 Apr 2018, 08:59
ch25 wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 23:01 Sirio4000? lol. I barely work 10m DX on 5 element yagi 20m high.
Chris
Its not about the size of your twig, its about how you use it..... :lol:

You can work DX on wet string, no need to be negative about what antenna someone uses. Don;t all have the space, money or good neighbours to have a 5 ele yagi @ 20m. We make do with what we have.

Exactly. I have had many good DX contacts using an inverted V dipole made from old speaker wire with about 15 watts. Stick with it Dave :thumbup:
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

The nature of a cycle would suggest that things come full circle, so to say those times will not happen again isn't strictly true....
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sureshot »

Noticed some European activity in the last few days, I missed the 555 stuff. But just caught sweden, it wasn't my contact, but a couple of locals. Hopefully things improve as we head towards the summer months.
CB call. Shipwreck.
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

so you have a tardis and been to the future then have you :lol: :lol: :lol:
I've set up my shack in the downstairs toilet. I call it the TURDIS.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sureshot »

Had some European activity on the 555 yesterday, it was weak but readable. Except for a French station, i don't speak the lingo lol. Hopefully that's a sign of better propagation to come.
CB call. Shipwreck.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Loads of stuff on 555 today, with a few stations on the lower part of Hi band. Very little on the mid band.

Seems that the legal channels are not very popular.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

sureshot wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 10:06 Thanks for the frequency info, as new to ssb I've had a local bash at it. That worked great, but I'm yet to hear from across the UK or abroad. I will persevere with it though, there's got to be a lift out there soon.
27.555 Usb been ok last week,a few stations from Canada was the furthest I have heard.Spoke to Kevin 10 mile west of Brighton on ssb last week on my S9/Imax.Uk 40 fm last week,mobile station in London moaning they couldn't hear anything for the music player running an amp who was end stopping him,he couldn't believe he could hear me over the music from up here,as the music was +60db,and I was on an old Audioline 340 with same antenna.

The amount of people who say "you can't do that because I can't manage it with thousands of pound's" is what makes me even happier dx-ing away with cheap end radio gear.My mate had a qso to China a few year back on amateur with an Imax and 706 mk1,the local amateur to him (s.k. now) half a mile away,was the same signal with a £2000 beam/tower and top of the range hf set.

Before one of my mates was licensed,we made a dipole just for him to listen in,and we could hear an amateur on 40m,telling the young m6 down near Hastings,that he had no chance of being heard up in Yorkshire let alone Scotland,as his 10w and twig were not good enough and he had to sit the next part of the tests,and upgrade from the homemade dipole as it was ok,but could be better = mm6 was upto +40db,10 mile south of Edinburgh on my mates homebrew dipole that was still on my mates livingroom floor :lol:

Keep the faith sureshot,you will be heard up here and further afield soon ;)
Last edited by 108EH002 on 22 May 2018, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
andrew013
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT013

Post by andrew013 »

Before one of my mates was licensed,we made a dipole just for him to listen in,and we could hear an amateur on 40m,telling the young mm6 down near Hastings,that he had no chance of being heard up in Yorkshire let alone Scotland,as his 10w and twig were not good enough and he had to sit the next part of the tests,and upgrade from the homemade dipole as it was ok,but could be better = mm6 was upto +40db,10 mile south of Edinburgh on my mates homebrew dipole that was still on my mates livingroom floor :lol:

Keep the faith sureshot,you will be heard up here and further afield soon ;

i had a similiar situation a guy state side said you need to get your full ticket so you can run 400 watts i said why he goes you will be heard more , i said your using a 4 over 4 over 4 over4 stacked beam array with stupid amount of power im using a g5 rv and 10 watts you gave me a r5 s9 i gave you r5 s7 whos the numbskull here , he didnt speak to after that lol
on air,tyne&wear,northumberland,durham,holy island,eu120+eu124 and anywhere from gateshead/north wales
scrap uk 40 give cbers L/M/Hcalling on 27.355/555 usb qsy 27.015 lsb/410 usb cb radio is for life not just for profits
i do cb radio not 11mtres,countrys worked 2015 with imax 2000 72
currentstatus
Regular
Regular

Post by currentstatus »

Haven't been on CB for a long time.. but wow.. I've been listening recently here in Spain and the bands are packed.. even with a DIY quarter wave purched on a wall. 27.555 is real busy.. Canada, E.Coast US, France, some E.Europe. Like it was the 80's again :)
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Post by original45 »

I am hoping to get my recently purchased ssb radio set up very soon and I am quite interested to hear the various frequencies that radio guys will use across the world as calling frequencies and to hopefully listened to contacts made not as part of a hobby.

I did find a site that had a list of frequencies that are shall we say adopted by users of their country but can't find it again to print it off for future reference.

Interestingly enough I found that frequencies are adopted by various groupes of people too like communities in wilderness areas , countries also seem to have their own frequencies even survivalist and preppers in the USA have designated frequencies.

I kind of imagined it was just for more or less trying to contact over distances as many contacts as possible ,hoping to get further next time.
Whilst the radio hobby side is fantastic I am quite intrigued in how it is used as a real daily communication as opposed to mobile phones internet and alike.
I like that and hope to hear a little when conditions allow maybe.
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sureshot »

I've been flicking round a fair bit, lots of Europe Germany Italy Sweden. I'm a bit limited on only having a mobile anttena. But I'm close to 120' up from ground level in a tower block, I think the Sirio 4000 is doing reasonably well. The changeable weather has seen the most activity coming in. Ears pinned back still, and will continue flicking round when it seems there's a lift on. Some other locals hear the same as me, they usually act like an early warning system for me. They can get much better reception, but what I've got is ok really.
CB call. Shipwreck.