Power on finals output.

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM413

Power on finals output.

Post by sureshot »

Just a general question on a radios power output. A local guy sold another breaker a multimode anytone, the recipient is some what gullible, simple lad really. The seller told him the radio puts out 75 watts bare foot, straight out the back of the radio. FM AM SSB. Those in the know ! Is that possible with the right pre driver and FET finals ? I'm just curious as i don't think the stock heatsink can handle 75 watts of power. What is the maximum power an anytone can be pushed up to ?
Thoughts from those that know...
CB call. Shipwreck.
astradyne

Re: Power on finals output.

Post by astradyne »

I think the guy who sold the lad that radio was taking the p!ss. An Anyclone wouldn't be able to provide or cope with that kind of output. 40W is around the maximum these will provide, and even that's way too much. Heat issues and blown finals are a testament to this. The radio simply isn't designed to do that much power, let alone 75W.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
radio pete
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26EY49G7xxx

Post by radio pete »

more like 7.5 W from a anytone
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sureshot »

Thanks for the replys, I had a suspision it was to much to be true. I know there are FET's capable of many watts / Amps, but not that high in the anytone radio.
I thought 40 watts was about the max, but even that's daft.
Thanks for the info.
CB call. Shipwreck.
sonoma
Regular
Regular

Post by sonoma »

I have seen guys turn the power meter up on what ever meter they use to make it look like it is putting out more watts. a guy here in the US at one time was doing mods at a truck stop. he claimed higher out puts on radios. I had a radio that I had tuned and he was doing free test out of his truck. so I took mine to him and he said it was doing good. he was getting 65 watts out of his setup with a single final cobra 29 radio. so that was how he showed more out put. on my gear all I was showing was 20 watts with a whistle into the mic.
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sureshot »

sonoma wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 00:00 I have seen guys turn the power meter up on what ever meter they use to make it look like it is putting out more watts. a guy here in the US at one time was doing mods at a truck stop. he claimed higher out puts on radios. I had a radio that I had tuned and he was doing free test out of his truck. so I took mine to him and he said it was doing good. he was getting 65 watts out of his setup with a single final cobra 29 radio. so that was how he showed more out put. on my gear all I was showing was 20 watts with a whistle into the mic.
Yes, i think the local seller to me sold it to the gullible lad thinking he will never know. Funny thing is, his always running the lad he sold the radio to down. Regardless of anyones IQ i hate hearing people being run down.

This local unpleasant breaker is an amateur 2E0 i think, but fallen from grace now. I've got a radio in the living room and the language is terrible. Sorry to go slightly off topic. Just annoyed that the guy kind of got fed a load of nonsense and bought this radio. I don't intend on stepping in at the moment. Just sad to know that someone can take advantage of someones simpleness.
CB call. Shipwreck.
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

sonoma wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 00:00 I have seen guys turn the power meter up on what ever meter they use to make it look like it is putting out more watts
Another trick we used to see when 27MHz was a big thing here was hack shops bypassing or removing components from the filter stage between the final and the antenna socket - in addition to defeating limiters. Power meter reading looks very impressive, AM sets 20W+ on peaks and some SSB radios showing close to 50. But sounds terrible on air, like a cheap transistor radio turned up to maximum volume on a strong local station.

With the reduction on 27 meg usage here and the shift to only SSB, the people doing these hackups have moved on. But we still see it here in a radio occasionally when someone buys a set hacked up decades ago and wants it putting right again...
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sureshot »

lbcomms wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 13:00
sonoma wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 00:00 I have seen guys turn the power meter up on what ever meter they use to make it look like it is putting out more watts
Another trick we used to see when 27MHz was a big thing here was hack shops bypassing or removing components from the filter stage between the final and the antenna socket - in addition to defeating limiters. Power meter reading looks very impressive, AM sets 20W+ on peaks and some SSB radios showing close to 50. But sounds terrible on air, like a cheap transistor radio turned up to maximum volume on a strong local station.

With the reduction on 27 meg usage here and the shift to only SSB, the people doing these hackups have moved on. But we still see it here in a radio occasionally when someone buys a set hacked up decades ago and wants it putting right again...
It's a shame radios get hacked up like that, in nice condition some radios are very sort after now days.
See what looks like silly money radios sell for, I think it's often worth it if it's that once in a life time mint condition radio you've been looking for.
CB call. Shipwreck.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

sureshot wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 11:55 A local guy sold another breaker a multimode anytone, the recipient is some what gullible, simple lad really.

**cough**, hopefully he accepts returns..
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sureshot »

Admiral wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 08:23
sureshot wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 11:55 A local guy sold another breaker a multimode anytone, the recipient is some what gullible, simple lad really.

**cough**, hopefully he accepts returns..
Yes indeed, that experience of mine still leaves a bitter taste :x
CB call. Shipwreck.
Unit 148 Mobile
Call Sign: G4ZOW

Post by Unit 148 Mobile »

Sad if the above still goes on after all these years.

Of course it's best to leave the radio alone and run an external amplifier if you feel you need it.

If you are using a radio with any more than stock 4W/12W power output then it will probably pay to have your local tech adjust the output to not over-drive the amp.

CB amplifiers designed to be driven with high output radios are far and few between compared to the rest.

Unit 148
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

Was the radio in question returned to the seller?

sureshot
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sureshot »

astradyne wrote: 09 May 2018, 10:27 Was the radio in question returned to the seller?
No the lad the bought it still has it, he believes it's 75 watts output. I'm not going to ruin his day. It's sad a gulable lad can be sucked in like that. But it's nothing new in the dishonesty of the minority.
CB call. Shipwreck.
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

Shame on the seller who in all likelihood knew exactly what he was doing and that he was targeting a vulnerable individual. If the radio works as it should then it's not a complete loss, but it's the principle of the matter.

sureshot
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sureshot »

astradyne wrote: 11 May 2018, 11:18 Shame on the seller who in all likelihood knew exactly what he was doing and that he was targeting a vulnerable individual. If the radio works as it should then it's not a complete loss, but it's the principle of the matter.
Exactly, but yes the radio seems fine for him. I couldn't take advantage of anothers vulnerabilities.
CB call. Shipwreck.