Are Radiozing going under?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Re: Are Radiozing going under?

Post by Mudslinger »

26TM5890 wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 17:38 Easter holiday
Seems a long holiday though, unless it is run by school children.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
NUBSTER
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM545

Post by NUBSTER »

Mudslinger wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 19:06
Seems a long holiday though, unless it is run by school children.
I've been to them a few times and TBH wonderd that myself sometimes ;) joking
porky.69
Legend
Legend

Post by porky.69 »

lets hope its a permanent holiday.
This is my Territory.....Be on your way 8)
NUBSTER
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by NUBSTER »

Just a little observation, on another forum not as good as this one there members are always harping on about how CB is making a big comeback just because there have a few little weekly networks :yawn: and when you tell them CB is really on the downside they all spit there dummy out and get defensive lol,but TBH with sales of radio equipment stagnant plus no new stuff being brought out and be honest CB is not as buzzing as it was, just wondered if this why companies are closing down , wonder how long before there will be no CB shops and be just second hand stuff for sale only .
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Actual 'Bricks and Mortar' shops in all areas are under pressure. CB shops are no different, they have to deal with
  • Internet sales (no shop overheads)
  • Cheap imports
  • Declining numbers of users/buyers
  • New equipment 'revisions' quickly changing (unable to shift version 1 stock for example)
  • strong second hand market
  • Users tending to buy second hand HAM radio gear for 'new' CB money
Just a few of the reasons I can think of. If I were to open a business, I can't say that catering to an ever-shrinking CB market would be in my business plan :-/
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
NUBSTER
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by NUBSTER »

I think CB in its self need a good kick up the ar*e to get it back how it was, it needs a modern look and then prohaps the manufacturers will bring out new stuff and the CB business can get back on track but ATM it's just going around in circles no body on it so nobody buys the stuff so no body can be interested in bringing out new stuff so businesses go down
silverspring
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: G7OVK

Post by silverspring »

CB the way it was is never coming back. Time has moved on and most people communicate over the internet. If you're really into radio, you're more than likely going to get your ham ticket, and even then, things have changed there over the decades. That said, there is always dx opportunities that come and go so there is still some enjoyment to be had at times.
sickboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by sickboy »

I think the whole CB market is propped up with the nostalgia from our generation. The annoying thing is that when us lot are pushing up daisies, the old classics like Madisons and 148's will be selling for next to nothing, or just going straight to landfill :cry:
Embrace your inner muppet !
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

sickboy wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 13:43 or just going straight to landfill :cry:
Not mine ! I have a coffin already lined up for when I go .
MD_Sq_Sheds_7290106928442_D.jpg
:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM552

Post by RadioPixie »

cb4ever104 wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 17:29
sickboy wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 13:43 or just going straight to landfill :cry:
Not mine ! I have a coffin already lined up for when I go .

MD_Sq_Sheds_7290106928442_D.jpg

:)
Is that a coffin or a mausoleum? :lol:
73 from Dave the Pixie - 26CT052 - 26TM552 - CB Radioaficionado
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM552

Post by RadioPixie »

NUBSTER wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 11:18 I think CB in its self need a good kick up the ar*e to get it back how it was, it needs a modern look and then prohaps the manufacturers will bring out new stuff and the CB business can get back on track but ATM it's just going around in circles no body on it so nobody buys the stuff so no body can be interested in bringing out new stuff so businesses go down
You're right Martin. Retro is for old timers. Bluetooth should be standard on CBs, and may be some digital mode or modern selcall facilities. Not every potential radio user wishes to DX, and CB can be a valid street to street or car to car comms system. Then there is quality control issues with some gear not fit for purpose. Even typical bulk standard PL259s can be badly machined these days.

Let's face it even a smallish CB antenna is huge and unwieldily for many people that are not used to a sticky out antenna.

Simon the wizard often says on his blog that there isnt much call for SSB CBs according to the dealers. When ever someone on a forum says what about a legal SSB radio or even an AM/FM radio, most people say buy a SS9900 or similar, or buy a secondhand HF rig. May be there is only so many rigs that will be purchased.

Having said all of that, the modern miniaturized rig seems to me following a market need, as its getting harder to install rigs on a modern dash board. Perhaps it's time for slim line mounts and antennas, than the bulky 3/8th or bulkier PL259/SO239 screw-in mounts.
73 from Dave the Pixie - 26CT052 - 26TM552 - CB Radioaficionado
NUBSTER
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by NUBSTER »

I love my old school radios Dave I've been around CB since 1975 /76 so it's what I'm use to really lol, but I agree with you radios need modern extras on them now to try and keep up with new technologies that's about now, CB needs to progress if it gonna survive.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Bottom line, adding Bluetooth to a CB radio isn't going to revive the format.....

CB radio (and by that I mean 27mHz CB radio) is dying, because the generation which embraced it, love it and still use it are slowly dying off. If you need short-range comms you buy 446 handies, if you need reliable longer-range comms you use your mobile phone, cell-based systems (for business) or something connected to the internet.

The practicalities of CB radio mean that it will never be a viable option for someone with a genuine need any more. It is now an out-dated method of comms, used by hobbyists or enjoyed by the nostalgia-driven breaker from back-in-the-day with sites like TM1 helping to keep those disparate breakers in-touch and enjoying their hobby.

It's very much like the story of vinyl records. Back in the day, they were a viable way of buying/delivering music. Overtime that need has been met by other technologies, to the point where yes, you can still buy vinyl, but its bought by a very small number of people for nostalgic of novelty reasons and most buyers will often own the digital version of the same music too, so you could argue that they don;t have a need for vinyl, but a novelty interest.

Which brings us full-circle and back to the point-in-case. Like there are now very few 'Record Stores' out there punting Vinyl, there are even fewer CB shops. Maybe we need a 'CB Shop Day', but unless Smokey and the Bandit gets a JJ Abrams remake, I can't see the market changing for the better any time soon.

RIP Radiozing if they have gone under, not often I heard a bad word about them, compared to some others out there.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
sickboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by sickboy »

I often feel that if the young boy racer, driving their souped-up Clio or Corsa around found out about CB, that there could well be a revival. If one of the dealers started advertising in the performance car mags, or set up a stand at one of the "meets" these guys have it might introduce a new generation. Especially with the law clamping down on mobile phone use while driving.
Embrace your inner muppet !
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Theres only one way CB will make a comeback, And thats if the plot of the terminator becomes reality. Where resistance fighters fighting the terminators in the distant future have to use antique CB radios to plan attacks because the terminators have destroyed all modern forms of communication,

The terminators become wise to this and send a terminator back in time to kill bigpimp, Knowing he owns 99% of the worlds CB Radios, :mrgreen:

Arnold Schwarzenegger stars as the terminator model FM1000 in

TERMINATOR - THE RISE OF THE CB BREAKERS
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?