Midland 38 Display U & L

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
sickboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Midland 38 Display U & L

Post by sickboy »

While the news channels waffle on about Trump starting WW3 and other trivial things, I'm pondering the REAL issues facing mankind here with a Midland 38..
On the display it has a letter U and a letter L which change depending on what channels you're on. I've looked up the manual to see what these mean but can't find any mention of it. Can someone put me out of my misery?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Embrace your inner muppet !
sonoma
Regular
Regular

Re: Midland 38 Display U & L

Post by sonoma »

do you have a freq counter you can hook up to the radio and look at what freq you have on the U and L . more than likely the freq change. have never had one of these radios but normally this stands for upper and lower freq.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I had one that I changed to have a blue display. However I can't recall ever seeing the L or U on the display though, especially if you've only moved 1 channel.
sickboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by sickboy »

Hi Somona, yes I checked and the frequencies are standard irrespective of whether a U or L is displayed. :(

Yeah Dave it's strange. I've had a few of these before but can't remember seeing this on the display either. One other thing I noticed is that on UK mode, every channel is either a U or an L - but on EU mode, there's a few channels that have no letter. :crazy:
Cornelius
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: Cornelius

Post by Cornelius »

The manual states that it has an Automatic Noise-limiter - maybe it's an indication for that? If so, U and L shouldn't display if you pull out the antenna... (Unless you have a noise source sitting next to the radio.) It would be a strange indication, though... :)
163TM847
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 163TM847 »

Thats an odd one i havnt seen before that does that, I have a 38 on the bench now that i just replaced the LEDs to blue, and that does not have U/L on the display.
Avenger
Call Sign: 163TM122

Post by Avenger »

I've got 2 here, one's a Midland and the other is a kernow and neither have the u or l only the uk/eu.
163TM122 - ROB
sickboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by sickboy »

Mine is an unique radio then, a priceless one-off :thumbup:
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

As long as it works then who cares haha :thumbup:
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |