dipole for 27.555 whats best ??? 1/2 wave or 1/4 wave

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Re: dipole for 27.555 whats best ??? 1/2 wave or 1/4 wave

Post by NightProwler »

Buick Mackane wrote:You can tell when a member isn't popular when the admin calls them an asshole :lol:
:lol: Spot on :thumbup:
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

ch25 wrote:
NightProwler wrote:Yes he does like to slag off everything and think he is superior to everyone else, Just another troll. Stick with the Imax, Excellent antennas :thumbup:
Nah, just some radio fan with some experience.
I won't convince you, but I had Imax, A99, Shakespeare big stick along with nice aluminium antenna on the switch for a long time.
Difference is easy to notice. Try yourself.
Try it myself? Well funny you should say that as I had a Sirio 827, Sirio Gainmaster and an Imax 2000 up all at the same location and the Imax won the battle hands down. If I moved location maybe the Gainmaster would win or the 827, Who knows. But I do not come on here saying that's crap and thats crap, Why? Because I grew up a long long time ago. Different antennas for different locations, Go figure.
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
andrew013
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT013

Post by andrew013 »

ch25 wrote:
NightProwler wrote:Yes he does like to slag off everything and think he is superior to everyone else, Just another troll. Stick with the Imax, Excellent antennas :thumbup:
Nah, just some radio fan with some experience.
I won't convince you, but I had Imax, A99, Shakespeare big stick along with nice aluminium antenna on the switch for a long time.
Difference is easy to notice. Try yourself.
you must have some S H I T E experience then ,
user of radio since 79 , had many radios and ariels , just dont go on about it , imax from new i have lost count now how long its been must be 16+yrs still work the world on 4 watts am and upto 20 watts ssb if need be if using my low powerd cb radios i also have an imax for portable use nothing wrong with them or a99`s
on air,tyne&wear,northumberland,durham,holy island,eu120+eu124 and anywhere from gateshead/north wales
scrap uk 40 give cbers L/M/Hcalling on 27.355/555 usb qsy 27.015 lsb/410 usb cb radio is for life not just for profits
i do cb radio not 11mtres,countrys worked 2015 with imax 2000 72
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Post by Tim »

I don't think there is any definitive advice anyone can give on what antenna is best, different situations, different antenna, different results. If you're out in the sticks 1700ft ASL with no noise then you could get around the World on a wet bit of string up at 10ft but if you were in a deep valley with hills all around you could have a 4 ele Yagi 80ft up and maybe transmit and receive 50 miles or so, so it's a question of where you are located, what you have around you and any physical and other restrictions as to what antenna you can put up. As for noise giving you an S5 or whatever, you will not get rid of that no matter what you do, it's usually what's around you that's the cause, such as security lighting and or any other LED lighting that uses cheap Chinese transformers to power them, central heating motors, broadband routers, PC chargers, the list goes on. The best antenna in the World will do nothing for you if for any of the above reasons you can't use it.
andrew013
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT013

Post by andrew013 »

Tim wrote:I don't think there is any definitive advice anyone can give on what antenna is best, different situations, different antenna, different results. If you're out in the sticks 1700ft ASL with no noise then you could get around the World on a wet bit of string up at 10ft but if you were in a deep valley with hills all around you could have a 4 ele Yagi 80ft up and maybe transmit and receive 50 miles or so, so it's a question of where you are located, what you have around you and any physical and other restrictions as to what antenna you can put up. As for noise giving you an S5 or whatever, you will not get rid of that no matter what you do, it's usually what's around you that's the cause, such as security lighting and or any other LED lighting that uses cheap Chinese transformers to power them, central heating motors, broadband routers, PC chargers, the list goes on. The best antenna in the World will do nothing for you if for any of the above reasons you can't use it.
if ever there was a need for a like button on posts this is one reason :thumbup:
on air,tyne&wear,northumberland,durham,holy island,eu120+eu124 and anywhere from gateshead/north wales
scrap uk 40 give cbers L/M/Hcalling on 27.355/555 usb qsy 27.015 lsb/410 usb cb radio is for life not just for profits
i do cb radio not 11mtres,countrys worked 2015 with imax 2000 72
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

37 years I've been in the radio hobby and I've tried all sorts to see what's best.
Some dead certs simply don't work in a certain environment or under certain conditions. For HF Amateur Bands, I've had everything from a dipole to a 5 element tri-band Yagi and under certain conditions, I've questioned the Yagi.

I've had several verticals for 11m and I honestly don't see any huge differences in any of them, at least not that I would stand back and shout from the rooftops.

Thing is, it's a hobby and we are all meant to experiment with stuff. Folk have different goals and expectations. It's just so disappointing and bl00dy annoying when you get folk who think they are the foremost authority and they know best and ridicule others.

CH25 Please either bring a decent balanced contribution to the forum or go :wave:
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Dava
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: Dava

Post by Dava »

Knock up a quick dipole use a chock block connection block string it up and try it very little work just as a quick test and judge if its worth making it waterproof and permanant
Kaliphan
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M0

Post by Kaliphan »

Don't forget to strip off all the insulation and then polish it to make it sparkly cos all those radiowaves are like magpies, attracted to shiny stuff and once you've done that cover it back up in insulation because leaving the insulation on is a sure fire way to make it not work unless it's special radio insulation cos it says so in a special, out of print secret German book that's too involved to explain to mere mortals who have CB antennae that work 'against all science'.

It's the little things that make all the difference and all those hams and antenna professionals and designers over the years must all be wrong cos the bloke on 27.245 sez so.

Or grab yourself a load of wire, some choc block or a dipole centre, use a web calculator, add a few inches to the result, cut your wire to length.

String it up, measure the SWR, if it's high, fold equal lengths over on each end, cable tie it up and measure again, repeat until you get a decent SWR.

Most of all, have fun experimenting, make notes, think about it, learn something and ignore pillocks on forums who think they know it all (that includes me).
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

Post by WARLOCK »

Well first of all thanks to all who answered my question,having considered all i have ordered a doublet dipole antenna and a 1-1 balun , It is 10 mts long each side with 30 ft of down lead to a 1-1 balun then my mini 8 coax, The centre of the inverted V will be 45 ft high How dose this sound to you ???
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

WARLOCK wrote:Well first of all thanks to all who answered my question,having considered all i have ordered a doublet dipole antenna and a 1-1 balun , It is 10 mts long each side with 30 ft of down lead to a 1-1 balun then my mini 8 coax, The centre of the inverted V will be 45 ft high How dose this sound to you ???
Sounds like antenna not for 27MHz.
Can we see how's balun made?
Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

Post by WARLOCK »

Hi chris ch25 lets see what faults you find with these items = on e/bay item numbers- antenna= 322402789514. balun = 322624955738 Are these items any good ??? I know they are not just for 27 mhz but who knows what my needs will be in the future,
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

This antenna works only with antenna tuner. SWR will be higher than acceptable. For CB/555 you can easily build that by yourself with our help.
Balun.... there is no information about ferrite toroid material is used. We can assume that might be proper or improper core material.
I suggest to DIY http://www.qsl.net/dk7zb/Baluns/current_balun.htm

Of course you can try that doublet on 27MHz, but I'm more than sure it won't work as good as resonant dipole cut to proper length.
Chris.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

Admiral wrote: 18 Sep 2017, 12:08 They'll both be crap compared to your Imax 2000 at a similar height.
You talk crap.I had a 1/4 homebrew dipole 15ft lower than the 827 (30ft up) and it could hear Scandinavia no problem,the 827 couldn't even hear it,nowt to do with what's the better antennas,just that 1 was in the best position and the other wasn't,and it was a new 827.Last summer I was far stronger to the op Trevor in Swansea on my homebrew dipole than the same 827 when again it doesn't mean the 827 was crap,and it was a Harvard homebase 407 + Rmkl203 end of scale,then 4w a 9,then 0.4w fm and I went down to a 7,with same dipole 15ft up....works out pretty far for a CRAP homebrew dipole....some folk sit a test and think they are doing well with 10w on 40m getting that far with a £100 dipole.Thats why I prefer (C)heaper (B)roadcasting.

Ch25,just for the record I also use an Imax at present,not the best Cb vertical but I wouldn't say it was total crap.Next you'll be saying the TS 590 is crap.And before you tell me to use better radios than a sh1t Homebase,I have tried many Hf rigs,old school Cbs and most of the Chinese/President sh1t they sell now.I just prefer old school radios as I prefer an analogue signal needle on the meter.I am using an At5555 at the present time,only because I got it with a mint Sadelta desk mic (swapped it for an Audioline 341) + Opek power echo mic for £60.My opinions are based on what I have used, not what I've read on here/watched on utube.I dont know much about radio but I know that it costs a fair bit to have a "real" opinion.
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
Fireproof
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM165

Post by Fireproof »

I use a Dipole which I made for around £10.

I have one facing North to South and another facing East to West.

I have worked all over the world when condition are in my favour.

I always getting glowing reports and great feedback on the wire.

It all depends on what you want out of radio, I rarely use the FM mode, good job too as the dipole really is not suited and of course directional.

Regarding the Imax, I owned one a few years back and I must admit I was very impressed, worked very well, does not look too much on the house like a 827. I would definitely buy another without doubt. It was mounted well above the apex, bracketed with scaffold bars. Its all in the setting up, get that right and you will bang out I can guarantee that, unless you live in a Valley that it. :D
SS3900
Phoenix
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Phoenix »

Not a fan of the Imax.....Its worth giving the dipole a go try it in an inverted V configuration you will be howling when you've worked a few stations on your homebrew simple as it gets aerial. I've read a few things posted by ch25 and sometimes he comes across a bit brash but everything ive read as been spot on....so good advice.
26TM114