Ideas to make CB Radio Great Again ; )

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Re: Ideas to make CB Radio Great Again ; )

Post by MrWeetabix »

lambrettadave wrote:
bc73 wrote:What about a big budget Holywood remake of Convoy or Smokey and the Bandit would probably help spark kids interest.

Sadly probably wont happen though.
A CB radio type thing was in Die hard 4
They were using a Taxi radio on Hollyoakes last night....... even though any self-respecting/competitive Taxi firm now use an online despatch service with drivers using apps on smartphones... but hey-ho. :-P
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
mof000
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mof000 »

Ninjapower wrote:I am convinced that CB is getting busier again recently.

I noticed a few new Silver Rods appearing on houses in various parts of town, and haven't seen that in a long time. Spoke to a mate of mine who has just dug out his Ham International Jumbo and put up a new Homebase antenna, and he said that loads of people are coming back on and that it was quite busy even with Homebase users on an evening.

Curious about all this, I decided to dig out my Cobra 75 EU and purchase a new antenna for my van. I bought a President Virginia antenna which I absolutely recommend highly. It looks 100% like a normal 'bee sting' car antenna but has frankly astonishing performance for its' size.

Sure enough, there's quite a few people on. Truckers seem to be using it more and more again, all the farmers and farm contractors are on it, and like I mentioned, Homebase users are back.

And when there's not too many locals on, I flick to the EU channels and for the last week or so been enjoying listening to the Europeans absolutely booming in. Most of them are speaking English in their contacts so it's quite good listening.

Well worth getting the rig out for!
Great to hear there is a lot going on locally to you!
I turned the radio on and there was loads going on (Wednesday evening) I heard 151 division (Iraq) on 26285. Super/Super low was very busy.
I'll pay whatever i think it's worth...:-)
Chris64ex4
Regular
Regular

Post by Chris64ex4 »

CB seems to be absolutely dead round here in the South West around Exeter. Did hear a couple of Hams yakking away and Dx-ing on 27.620 MHz the other day (was testing my Lowe HF150) but other than that nothing. Even the local net they used to have on channel 24 of an evening seems to have stopped now.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

MrWeetabix wrote:
lambrettadave wrote:
bc73 wrote:What about a big budget Holywood remake of Convoy or Smokey and the Bandit would probably help spark kids interest.

Sadly probably wont happen though.
A CB radio type thing was in Die hard 4
They were using a Taxi radio on Hollyoakes last night....... even though any self-respecting/competitive Taxi firm now use an online despatch service with drivers using apps on smartphones... but hey-ho. :-P

Sat here in Majorca (the things I have to do eh :)) enjoying some Creme de Banana.
The taxis and coach drivers are still using 2-way radios and seem to chat quite a lot on them ti each other...almost CB-style.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Totally off-topic, just been listening to this tune here. Very catchy number and brilliant lyrics ;)

It's called "Burn burn burn" but you'll have to YouTube it!
MrJackson
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: bj69

Post by MrJackson »

:thumbup: How many radios do you think the average cb'er owns?
I have six.
Here's an idea. To make CB more popular, give a CB to an old friend who used to be on the rig and would maybe consider getting back into it.
I've already given a few away over the past couple of years. If everyone does the same, the CB population would double fairly quickly.
mof000
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mof000 »

OOOOOOOOOOOOO, give one of my pride and joys away....? I couldn't do that! Well unless they gave me double bubble on it!
Allan666
Call Sign: G0CRB

Post by Allan666 »

South side of Birmingham there are some CB Guys who never move off ch 19 .One ore two of them use wide banded Ham rigs and boast about how much power they can chuck out from there amps.How much Dole money they get,The language is bad all the time. So things like that don't encourage people to make conversation due to the fact they cant call out on 19 etc. Sad really when you think back to the early 80s and the fun we used to have.
If the problen cant be sorted with a "LUMP-HAMMER" then its most likely to be an Electrical fault
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Post by original45 »

Their are quite alot of people using radio in the dudley ,Stourbridge and cradley area.
These too hog 19.
Notice many new vertical antennas going up.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

MrJackson wrote::thumbup: How many radios do you think the average cb'er owns?
I have six.
Here's an idea. To make CB more popular, give a CB to an old friend who used to be on the rig and would maybe consider getting back into it.
I've already given a few away over the past couple of years. If everyone does the same, the CB population would double fairly quickly.
I've given a couple of power supplies, a few antennae and a couple of cheapo or faulty rigs away in the past. I gave one of the newish 5ft Springer aerials complete with magnet away to a "friend of a friend" of someone from off here a couple of years back. I noticed it was put on ebay the next day for a tenner. I sent a message saying it was a bit cheeky as I'd given it to them to help out, but I never got a reply as expected.
mof000
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mof000 »

That is very cheeky...... Things like that p!$$ me off.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

Happened to me, Someone put a wanted ad on a local Freecycle site asking for a CB so they could get back into the hobby so I gave them a Midland 2001 with a 3-5 amp PSU, Few days later it was on Ebay. Never again.
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

i put a lizard tank with every thing on freegle and some fella was going what conditions it in and all that cheeky gets its free !
love your familly
VintageTin
Call Sign: 26TM516

Post by VintageTin »

stanogs68 wrote:i put a lizard tank with every thing on freegle and some fella was going what conditions it in and all that cheeky gets its free !
Oh come on, be fair, why would anyone travel anywhere to pick something up to then have to chuck it away, which is what the vendor should have done in the first place.

Make sense to make sure everything is there, even if it does cost nowt.
Malcolm
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

VintageTin wrote:
stanogs68 wrote:i put a lizard tank with every thing on freegle and some fella was going what conditions it in and all that cheeky gets its free !
Oh come on, be fair, why would anyone travel anywhere to pick something up to then have to chuck it away, which is what the vendor should have done in the first place.

Make sense to make sure everything is there, even if it does cost nowt.
why would i throw it away when it cost about £160 ???? thates strange to me im just giving it away to be generous :?
love your familly