Ideas to make CB Radio Great Again ; )

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: Ideas to make CB Radio Great Again ; )

Post by Admiral »

Buy a flux capacitor on the dark web and go back to 1980. Other than that CB has had its day, just like B&W TV and Theresa Mays career.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

Hmm....... :think:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Post by Tim »

I think CB is like Theresa May's career, Just about hanging on.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Theresa May is the new Poster Child for CB radio....

10-4 for a no-deal, or ask the EU for 9 on the whole article 50 malarkey. :lol:
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Ideas to make CB Radio Great Agaion ; )

Post by 108EH002 »

Tim wrote: 28 Jan 2019, 00:57 I think CB is like Theresa May's career, Just about hanging on.
CB will still be used in the U.K long after she isn't,but especially by people who like a basic ragchew/dx on air without pomp,and who dont want to have to sit any kind of test to use a 2 way radio,as that was the whole point of CB being legalised in the first place = CB will live a bit longer than some people think..........because there is no test and it is really easy to get on the airwaves :shh:

There are still plenty old set ups still to "return" before it is dead imo,another half a dozen old breakers have appeared back on air the last year local to me,saying that they were "bored of the internet/nothing decent on tv/wanted to know if folk still use CB radio local" ;) :thumbup:

CB will still be used for many a year in the U.K. but especially still used by the truckers who cant get a phone signal on over 900 miles of our main roads up the North of Scotland ;)
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Post by Tim »

Truckers using CB down here are virtually if not altogether extinct now, there may be some owner users but all the trucking Companies now don't allow their drivers to fit a CB in the cab, I think that there are more tractors fitted with CB radios than there are trucks.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: Ideas to make CB Radio Great Agaion ; )

Post by Admiral »

108EH002 wrote: 28 Jan 2019, 17:42
CB will still be used for many a year in the U.K.
There's always hardcore nostalga types, some folk still use Commodore 64's and the like, but they have a Ryzen Threadripper machine to do serious stuff, and some have a 1974 Ford Capri, but go to work in their new NCAP5 machine with heated seats and air-con. And likewise most of those with a Superstar 360 in the shack also have a bells and whistles Yaeseu too.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

^^ Nostalgic types maybe or maybe more like the ONES who are the "hard-core" breakers as you put it,are actually just the folk who cant be @rsed sitting the foundation,like many of the others local to me,who have returned after a long absence from the CB.I went off early '80's (started '78) = hard-core suggests not having a break = a lot of the "local voices" didnt exist at the end of 2006 when I "returned" so they couldn't have been that die-hard eh.As for most owners of 360's having a bells n whistles Japanese amateur radio,they have old school CB radios as most of the new CB radios are sh1te.Some folk prefer using a CB compared to HF gear,but some amateurs started on amateur radio before getting into CB,and just don't get the concept that some folk actually prefer just using a CB on air = some of the best contacts I have managed were on cheap second-hand CB radios.......not the 5 hf sets I have owned and since sold ^^
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
Astro fantom
Regular
Regular

Post by Astro fantom »

Sad times really when you think back in the 80’s you would struggle to find a clear channel and nowdays your only struggle is to find someone to have a good old chinwag with😢
Soloution to the problem build a time machine and go back to better times when your only solcial media event was a local eyeball meet at the pub and it was deemed as cool to be a cb’er and above all people got along with one another..
Yes we did have local muppets dragging it down on channel 19 but for the most part it was very civilised and we had a sunday night quiz where everyone could take part and was run very well and people got involved..
Sadly times change and the cb was doomed after 27/81 as it was at this time motorola where advertising the first generation mobile phones which would be the beginning of the end for cb radio although i do find it strange the government just happened to legalize 27/81 just before christmas just in time to take advantage of people buying as christmas prezzies so everyone involved could rake in the profits off the back of it🤔
We still have a few locals on after 9pm most nights and the north east net is still on the go and i sat up sutton bank october last year for a few hours enjoying some good conversation with likeminded users from as far off as telford so all is not lost just yet and i wont be selling any of my radios anytime soon😎👍
26TM003
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M3VUI

Post by 26TM003 »

CB as in local ragchew in the west is dead, nothing, nada, zip.

Ive monitored ever since i moved to the west two years ago and made many a call.

I made two contacts in all that time, one die hard 19er who sits and calls for a breaker that has never come back to him in two years, think the guy is on drugs to be fair, Ive seen his house, has an old 99 up.

The other voice was over the border in South Wales about 25 miles from me and he said sadly its dead, he mentioned one or two breakers that pop up in Bristol occasionally but so rare it was not worth it, he said he was pulling the plug soon

I finally gave up and sold the last of my CB gear last month and went Amateur only, glad I did, plenty of action on VHF/UHF for local chinwags and HF for dxing, to be honest wish i pushed myself sooner Ive spent for to much time on CB 'hoping', for me that moment has finally passed, Im getting older and I can't wait for the next sunspot cycle to do its thing.
Test