Mega Tracker CB 1100

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
matt_ne
New User
New User

Mega Tracker CB 1100

Postby matt_ne » 29 Mar 2017, 15:04

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 'Mega Tracker CB 1100' for nostalgia reasons (they originate from my home town in North Essex). I would be interested to hear from any other owners of this seemingly rare radio. I'd particularly like to find out more about 'Mega Electronics' and the history behind these radios.

Please get in touch if you have any interesting info, or just want to chat about the rig.

Thanks in advance,

Matt.

The Collector
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Mega Tracker CB 1100

Postby The Collector » 30 Mar 2017, 19:01

Bugger..it was you that won it lol. £31 was a bargain. Yet again I forgot to set my alarm to pit in a bid.
I've got one that needs a fix..cant recall if it doesn't tx or rx.

If you get bored of it then please let me know ;)

matt_ne
New User
New User

Postby matt_ne » 30 Mar 2017, 19:29

Hi Collector,

Nice to hear from you. Yes, it was me, I was surprised to get it for £31, and it's in exceptional condition, the photo's didn't do it justice. No original mic or mounting bracket though.

I've only tested it on the bench. The receive seems pretty good, possibly a little too narrow, there's a crystal filter in the first I.F. The transmit is a bit of a disaster, very quiet audio and problems with RF feedback upsetting the VCO.

I believe that there is a fundamental problem with the design of the radio, the VCO seems to be running 'at frequency' in Tx mode; this only works well with very good RF shielding and decoupling and I believe this is main reason for the problems I'm seeing.

I remember seeing the Mega Electronics factory as a kid; it was knocked down years ago for houses, but there is still a company trading as Mega Electronics just a few miles away from Saffron Walden in Linton, I assume it's connected to the old company, but don't know for sure.

I still live in Saffron Walden but know nothing more about the history of these radios, would love to find out more. What serial number do you have on your radio?

Thanks,

Matt.

The Collector
Veteran
Veteran

Postby The Collector » 31 Mar 2017, 16:31

Mine's missing :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

matt_ne
New User
New User

Postby matt_ne » 31 Mar 2017, 17:06

Oh, that's a shame. On the plus side, the front of your radio looks in good condition.

The Collector
Veteran
Veteran

Postby The Collector » 31 Mar 2017, 17:07

A faulty MegaTracker homebase sold for about £180 a couple of years back. I wish I could have afforded it although I dont collect homebases...and my limit on buying radios is about £25's worth a month!

Return to “CB Radio - General Topics and Discussion”