Is it legal to use a CB (etc) whilst driving?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Martinedwards
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Is it legal to use a CB (etc) whilst driving?

Post by Martinedwards »

Repeaters wrote:Add into the mix, PTTOC (ptt over cellular) is it a radio, is it a phone or is it simply something to align ones sights on!
It Frequency, therefore if it uses phone frequencies, its a no no
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

It's illegal for any licenced amateur to use a CB. To do so would cause their Werthers to melt, and someone to write an indignant letter to Adcom.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
NUBSTER
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM545

Post by NUBSTER »

Farty wrote:It's illegal for any licenced amateur to use a CB. To do so would cause their Werthers to melt, and someone to write an indignant letter to Adcom.
I was wondering when someone would notice why is this thread in the Amateur section
FakeJake
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0SEY

Post by FakeJake »

Farty wrote:To do so would cause their Werthers to melt
Such an atrocity should never be permitted to happen!
:lol:
Jake 2E0SEY
Saltney, near Chester (Cheshire-Flintshire border)
Monitoring 2m simplex (when I can)
Dysgwr Cymraeg
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Post by Tim »

The Law is changing on March 1st and this will, if the Police consider you to be driving without due care and attention or in a dangerous manner, include anything in your vehicle that causes you distraction or to take your hand off the steering wheel to operate other than those items that make up the controls of your vehicle, this will include poking buttons on any radio, SAT-NAV, eating and drinking whilst driving, even if you are stopped at lights. The use of mobile phones whilst driving will now carry much heavier fines and possibly an instant driving ban, there will no longer be an 'improved driving course' option. So be careful when picking up that mic and pressing buttons or turning the selector to change frequency.
NUBSTER
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM545

Post by NUBSTER »

What about picking up a Werthers to suck on or smoking a pipe will that be illegal too ;)
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Post by Tim »

If you are seen by the Police and they consider it to be causing you to drive without due care and attention, yes. The child seat Law is changing as well.
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

Due care and attention offences were abolished an age ago. It's now careless or dangerous, And it's always been the case that if your driving is deemed careless or dangerous because you're operating radio equipment you'll get fingered. It has always been incumbent upon us to ensure that our driving is not affected adversely by virtue of us operating these devices, so the forthcoming legislative tweaks make no practical difference whatsoever to us.

I supervise and do planning for an office full of coppers, and the above is from the horses mouth, though don't tell my source he resembles a horse or he'll get upset.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Here's a pic of some of my colleagues hard at work. PC Miggins can clearly be seen with her walkie talkie in her hand and she also uses it when she needs to when she's driving single-crewed ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

Post by ghost123uk »

Well I think that surely clears it up once and for all :thumbup:
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

The new changes don't change anything apart from mobile phones - thank goodness.
porky.69
Legend
Legend

Post by porky.69 »

this was all covered when i did my ham ticket..... :D
This is my Territory.....Be on your way 8)
Bigdave
Legend
Legend

Post by Bigdave »

O yes but the new law only applies to certain people, ie me and you. I think the police think they are exempt 4 some reason, link 2 video attached see what you think. Never a better example of do as I say not as I do, HYPOCRITES..........................
https://youtu.be/hqo-l5qRSzI
26 TM 1248
WINNER of INB4TL, the big battle edition 16/07/23
OFTEN IMITATED,BUT NEVER INTIMIDATED.
WINNER of INB4TL,the no interest edition 18/03/24
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

The law is simple on using a radio whilst driving, using a fist mic (which you hold in your hand) to talk is not an offence - end of debate. The offences regarding poor driving are a separate issue, you can be done even if the reason for your poor driving was down to picking your nose. Anyway driving is serious business, if folk want to jibber-jabber on the radio when driving then go hands free or just listen and talk later when parked up.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
mof000
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mof000 »

Does it not just boil down to common sense? If you can't use a mobile phone then it's a good idea not to drive and using a radio/mic?
What will it take to refrain from driving and talking on a radio,mowing someone down?
I'm sure if landed up in court and you said that the mic/radio is exempt, I don't think it would do you any favours?
I'll pay whatever i think it's worth...:-)