Best Ariel For My Needs

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
P5shn
Regular
Regular

Re: Best Alriel for my needs

Post by P5shn » 22 Feb 2017, 08:50

{bnghd} Well I have brought the venom 5/8 Ariel for the time being and have mounted it on a new 3m heavy duty Ariel pole from screwfix
Also mounted to the pole is my new air and scanner Ariel.
Well here is my new problem, I spent a good couple of hours going through my president Grant 2 last night and never heard anyone on any band,
The swr is good and either 1.1 or 1.5
Is it because the fibreglass top of my scanner Ariel is poking between the 3 radials on my venom 5/8 would this mess with my reception ?
The scanner Ariel has plastic brackets that isolate it from contact with the 3m pole
I am at a loss, I struggle a lot as it is with my health so now I am thinking bugger would I be best taking the scanner Ariel off the 3m pole that the venom cb Ariel is on & would that solve my problem ? Also my scanner coax is running along side for 50ft the length of of my cb coax, both being mini 8 military grade, i don't use the cb & scanner at the same time but there is deffo a problem cus I am getting no one on my Grant 2 & it is a new rig that has had the export mod professionally fitted by the same shop where I brought all my kit.
Any help would be much appreciated.
I will never forget, I will never regret, I will live my life !

ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

Re: Best Ariel For My Needs

Post by ghost123uk » 22 Feb 2017, 09:03

The other antennas will not be causing any problems of that nature. Is it not possible that it was simply dead on air during the time you were testing it. If the SWR is good, all should be fine.

My only concern is that I would FOR SURE disconnect any other receivers from their respective aerials before transmitting on the 11Mtr set.
Reason being, the very high RF field strengths that close to the other aerials could easily wipe out the RF input amplifying semiconductors in the scanner!!
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. Muppet handle "Grey ghost" and on UK C25 most working days.
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!

andrew013
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT013

Re: Best Ariel For My Needs

Post by andrew013 » 22 Feb 2017, 21:35

as said in post above swr is perfect more than likley nobody on it does happen
on air,tyne&wear,northumberland,durham,holy island,eu120+eu124 and anywhere from gateshead/north wales
scrap uk 40 give cbers L/M/Hcalling on 27.355/555 usb qsy 27.015 lsb/410 usb cb radio is for life not just for profits
i do cb radio not 11mtres,countrys worked 2015 with imax 2000 72