ss 3900 finally died

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
mac51
Regular
Regular

ss 3900 finally died

Post by mac51 »

hi all, i bought a super star 3900 a good number of years ago and it has finally died on me, the rx became quite poor about two years ago and i sometimes got complaints about tx quality round about the same time, as i am mobile and i knew the set had to warm up for about 15 minutes before i picked up a decent signal it now picks up nothing at all, aerial is ok (checked out on mates rig ) so i am not even going to bother trying to repair a set as old as this. now i am on the market for a new set, 10-11m opened up, i've looked on the internet and i like the look of the k-po dx-5000 and the alinco dr-135uk but the reviews are quite patchy to say the least, so i would appreciate your views and advice/thoughts on what sets you would consider to buy.
thanks
john mac
Buick Mackane

Re: ss 3900 finally died

Post by Buick Mackane »

Well first of all don't give up on the superstar, send it down to nick who will have her up & running in no time for the mere price of a few cold beers. As for the anyclone, Gets the thumbs up from me, A lot of radio for the money around £135 brand spanking, Can't beat that, I own one and can't really fault it.
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

PLL02A wrote:Well first of all don't give up on the superstar, send it down to nick who will have her up & running in no time for the mere price of a few cold beers.
Seconded, it's not like a knackered engine, probably just wants re-capping and tuning and it'll be like a new radio.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

The good thing about old radios is that usually they can be fixed quite succesfully.

Nick has resurrected loads of radios for me...

As for the KPO-DX thing, here is a link to the CRT version with blue display (which I prefer). £135 delivered. :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CRT-SS-6900-N ... SwmmxW6st1
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

mac51 wrote:hi all, i bought a super star 3900 a good number of years ago and it has finally died on me, the rx became quite poor about two years ago and i sometimes got complaints about tx quality round about the same time, as i am mobile and i knew the set had to warm up for about 15 minutes before i picked up a decent signal it now picks up nothing at all, aerial is ok (checked out on mates rig ) so i am not even going to bother trying to repair a set as old as this. now i am on the market for a new set, 10-11m opened up, i've looked on the internet and i like the look of the k-po dx-5000 and the alinco dr-135uk but the reviews are quite patchy to say the least, so i would appreciate your views and advice/thoughts on what sets you would consider to buy.
thanks
john mac
Definetly send to Nick aka Black Spirit. He will have your 3900 singing again in no time!
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
mac51
Regular
Regular

Post by mac51 »

thanks a lot guys for the advice which i have taken in part, i've bought the k-po dx5000 version 6 as my mobile rig and i'll get the 3900 repaired and i'll set up a homebase so i can have best of both worlds.
once again thanks for the advice
john mac