just got a cobra 2000 gtl omg what have they done

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 163dt307

Re: just got a cobra 2000 gtl omg what have they done

Post by dt307 »

you can see the sticking meter in the pics ....

remove the meter and cut the sellotape that holds it together
now at the front and back of the meter is the smallest screws you ever seen in your life
add a drop of acetone (the wifes nail polish remover from superdrug ) to both screws to soften the locking glue (threadlock,locktight what ever its called)
back the screws off anti clockwise 1/4 turn at a time both by same amount
mine took 1/2 a turn and she is back working as new
put it all back together and marvel at your work

ahhh the psu guess thats next on the todo list a 220v conversion
163dt307-chris

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”
― Albert Einstein
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

dt307 wrote:add a drop of acetone (the wifes nail polish remover from superdrug ) to both screws
A handy tip indeed . Those screws are usually a nightmare to loosen . And if you don't get them first time then the slot usually gets mangled .
dt307 wrote: ahhh the psu guess thats next on the todo list a 220v conversion
Let us know how you get on with the PSU . The Madison one you gave me didn't fit in mine . For some reason I thought it would be a direct replacement , but it's too big . I know the whole power supply section could be removed and replaced I suppose , but I really wanted to keep mine as original as possible . Luckily I've a decent US<->EU power adapter , which has the US sockets on it , so I just use that on mine . I'll probably do the conversion though , once I find a compatible transformer .

S.
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by dt307 »

i can only see a few ways
did you try a standard transformer m8 ? as some uniden home base didnt use magnetic sealed types
remove whats there and install a switch mode that will fit
relocate the counter module
find a transformer and convert to magnetic sealed (i have no idea if will work or mess up the internal magnetic fields)
as you have done an external voltage dropper or fit one inside
run it from dc

ordered this was 8 pound to try size is 110x79x37mm 12v 5amp -/+10% voltage adjust
s-l500 (1).jpg
radio is drawing 3.5 amp max about 4w dead key 18w ssb and the std transformer from new was 4.5 amp
will look clean and tidy and the first way i will try,would be nice to keep std but even dropping a different 220v transformer in it aint std,might look it tho so i see where your coming from
will prob need to add a bypass cap from the - output to ground to remove any hum if present
if not happy with the outcome will re think it i might just put all the radio std and ebay it and make a few pound,i change my mind from one day to the next ...as it stands she owes me 200 plus my time

managed to restore the clarifier back to the std locked state rewired as it should be (might get an unlocked 10 turn when i start the mods but want everything stock before i start )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
163dt307-chris

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”
― Albert Einstein
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

The US 120V Madisons took the 220V EU transformer directly using the same holes . That's why I thought the 2000 might do as well .

I prefer using AC for the clock . Running it 24/7 through a 13V external psu seems like a waste of energy to me , although it probably draws the same as the internal one :)
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
bigal68
Call Sign: 26fb806

Post by bigal68 »

Just a thought gents for the digital clocks.... there a quite a few good clock (50hz) pulse chips around that keep good time. I'm sure one of these could be pressed into service if you replaced the transformer with an switch mode psu??
Alan 26FB806
----------------------
27.385 LSB, 27.555 USB, 27.78125 FM

Use it or lose it!!!!
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by dt307 »

the clock in the 2000 is a dc clock so no matter how you power the radio dc or ac or change the transformer to a switch mode the clock will work the same as it did.
when the radio is plugged in and the mains switched on the transformer or switch mode is on and hence powering the clock.
the power switch on the radio does not control the internal psu.
the madison setup is a little different as it uses a mains clock and as such the clock dont work when run from dc.
a better setup imo would be a small stand alone psu for the clock and the power switch control the main internal psu
163dt307-chris

― Albert Einstein
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

To be honest the whole point of a home base for me is to run it from the mains anyway . I'll maybe dig mine out again and see what options are available regarding the transformer .

S.
Last edited by cb4ever104 on 06 Jan 2017, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
bigal68
Call Sign: 26fb806

Post by bigal68 »

Sorry Chris.... my bad.

I thought that clock probably used the 50/60hz off the AC supply similar to the StalkerXX and TRC-457, I didn't realise it had its own divider in the module.

The Madison uses a small synchronous AC motor. I have a Madison that the motor died in, and I replaced it with one out of a dead Siemens Burner Ignition Controller. I guess the StalkerXV and the Cobra135 have similar motors in for the flip clocks...??

Doesn't the 2000 switch the 0 volts with the power switch?? I'm sure I've read somewhere about the display glows dimly when you change the meter lamps to LED's unless you load the supply with some resistance.....??
Alan 26FB806
----------------------
27.385 LSB, 27.555 USB, 27.78125 FM

Use it or lose it!!!!
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by dt307 »

bigal68 wrote:Sorry Chris.... my bad.

I thought that clock probably used the 50/60hz off the AC supply similar to the StalkerXX and TRC-457, I didn't realise it had its own divider in the module.

The Madison uses a small synchronous AC motor. I have a Madison that the motor died in, and I replaced it with one out of a dead Siemens Burner Ignition Controller. I guess the StalkerXV and the Cobra135 have similar motors in for the flip clocks...??

Doesn't the 2000 switch the 0 volts with the power switch?? I'm sure I've read somewhere about the display glows dimly when you change the meter lamps to LED's unless you load the supply with some resistance.....??
not looked into it m8 been so busy sorting stuff out not looked into extras or how every aspect works lol

the most i have looked into the power switch is pushed it and the radio came on :D result moved on

no need to be sorry its all good

got a working madison clock here for years on top the shelf with a president speaker but its going in a deal im in the middle of trying to sort out
163dt307-chris

― Albert Einstein
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

bigal68 wrote: Doesn't the 2000 switch the 0 volts with the power switch??
Yeah . It does . It drove me a bit nuts at the beginning as I had a 13V counter in line with the 2000 which had the chassis connected directly to the -ve supply and the 2000 wouldn't switch off with the on/off switch with the counter connected . Took me a while to figure that one out as it was the first time I'd ever came across that configuration .

S.
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by dt307 »

Just a test fit of the psu looks like will be a clean install
image.jpeg
Might fit the rectifer board back to fill space
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
163dt307-chris

― Albert Einstein
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Yeah . Looks good Chris .
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
beamer320i
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by beamer320i »

I had the exact same PSU mod done on my 2000 GTL that Dave (Nitehawk) now proudly owns....

Quite possibly the best looking homebase CB radio ever made...

Dom
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by dt307 »

beamer320i wrote:I had the exact same PSU mod done on my 2000 GTL that Dave (Nitehawk) now proudly owns....

Quite possibly the best looking homebase CB radio ever made...

Dom
nice Dom have you got any internal pics of your old one?
163dt307-chris

― Albert Einstein
beamer320i
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by beamer320i »

Yes I have, I've just been looking for them to compare! I've put them 'safe' in a folder some where, soon as I found them I'll put them up :D