montgomery ward 719a conversion help

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
2E1IIP
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 2E1IIP

Re: montgomery ward 719a conversion help

Postby 2E1IIP » 23 Dec 2016, 11:35

mastercare wrote:Hi Rob
just been looking at the s15351 board and the arduino im not into programming at all i notice arduino uses a c++ code but what is this board doing in the application im wanting i understand the s15351 can generate various freqs or does one board control the other, im a bit confused?
cheers
paul

Hi Paul, the SI5351 has an I2C data bus that receives a frequency word from the Arduino micro, so in simple terms if you wanted a fixed oscillator running at say 17.6MHz then you would define this in the Arduino software, or if you wanted a VFO, like what I use for my homebrew rig then you would implement a rotary encoder which sets the frequency when you spin the dial - the Arduino controls the SI5351.

I can send you the code if tel me what you want the SI chip to do, I could even program an Arduino Nano ready and post it to you - these Nano boards are only £3 each off Ebay and the Adafruit SI5351 breakout boards are about £8.

Hope that answers your question, just shout if you need more info.

Cheers

Rob.
Amateur Radio Callsign: 2E1IIP

mastercare
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: g4sbx

Postby mastercare » 23 Dec 2016, 12:03

hi rob
yep it sure does, well libcomms has suggested the rough freq i need but i guess there's more work apart from just a crystal change...
but it seems with your boards these could be planted so to speak in the rig and diff crystal freqs can be chosen till i find the one i need,,
i will have to think about this....
ill get back to u,,
thanks for the explanation rob...
cheers
paul

dt307
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 163dt307

Postby dt307 » 23 Dec 2016, 13:13

2E1IIP wrote:
just been looking at the s15351 board and the arduino im not into programming at all i notice arduino uses a c++ code but what is this board doing in the application im wanting i understand the s15351 can generate various freqs or does one board control the other, im a bit confused?
cheers
paul

Hi Paul, the SI5351 has an I2C data bus that receives a frequency word from the Arduino micro, so in simple terms if you wanted a fixed oscillator running at say 17.6MHz then you would define this in the Arduino software, or if you wanted a VFO, like what I use for my homebrew rig then you would implement a rotary encoder which sets the frequency when you spin the dial - the Arduino controls the SI5351.

I can send you the code if tel me what you want the SI chip to do, I could even program an Arduino Nano ready and post it to you - these Nano boards are only £3 each off Ebay and the Adafruit SI5351 breakout boards are about £8.

Cheers

Rob.

i would be interested as well in the setup of a rotary encoder few small boards to generate a stable frequency i could find many projects for that
to replace custom crystals or to directly inject frequency ect , did try to pm you but its not happening ,sorry for hijack
163dt307-chris

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”
― Albert Einstein

2E1IIP
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 2E1IIP

Postby 2E1IIP » 23 Dec 2016, 14:34

dt307 wrote:
2E1IIP wrote:
cheers
paul

Cheers

Rob.

i would be interested as well in the setup of a rotary encoder few small boards to generate a stable frequency i could find many projects for that
to replace custom crystals or to directly inject frequency ect , did try to pm you but its not happening ,sorry for hijack

No worries mate - no hijack all relevant :)
I will clear out the cobwebs of the mailbox and if you try again in 5 mins you should be good.

Cheers

Rob.
Amateur Radio Callsign: 2E1IIP

mastercare
Regular
Regular

Postby mastercare » 23 Dec 2016, 14:48

hi Chris Rob feel free to add any info about vfo etc using these boards its all good learning for me aswelll
cheers
paul

dt307
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 163dt307

Postby dt307 » 23 Dec 2016, 15:06

mastercare wrote:hi Chris Rob feel free to add any info about vfo etc using these boards its all good learning for me aswelll
cheers
paul

pm sent no worries paul got lots on at the moment but when i get around to it i will share

because sharing is caring :D :D :D
163dt307-chris

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”
― Albert Einstein

mastercare
Regular
Regular

Postby mastercare » 24 Dec 2016, 19:44

hi lbcomms
ive been looking through all my old crystals ive found 13 mhz 15mhz but nothing around 17mhz,, ive got a friend also whos gonna look through his shack for me...im wondering if no luck whether this si plus arduino board may the way to go, or if no luck i could order a crystal but as u say we dont know the exact freq we need, well have to wait get christmas out of the way...have a nice xmas day down there....
paul

lbcomms

Postby lbcomms » 24 Dec 2016, 23:08

Just off to Christmas lunch, I'll do a proper reply when I get back. You've got a few options there...

mastercare
Regular
Regular

Postby mastercare » 12 Jan 2017, 21:10

Hi all hope you all had a good xmas,
i had my mate check back ref 17 meg or close crystals but nothing doing, so ill have to wait for further instructions on this one,
thanks again
paul

lbcomms

Postby lbcomms » 13 Jan 2017, 07:28

There are two ways you can go.
1) Build a new synth circuit with a PC or AVR controller board to drive it, sounds like you'll have plenty of help with programming it going by the other replies. It's hardly a simple conversion though.

2) Buy a crystal, fit it, and realign the radio for 29 MHz. Only one component needed, it doesn't get much simpler than that. You might have to add a few diodes to get the repeater splits and all of the the exact channels you want though, but worry about that once you have the basic conversion up and running.

Spectrum Communications have 17.655 MHz crystals for a "fiver": http://www.spectrumcomms.co.uk/Components.htm

This will give you 29.260 MHz on channel 1, through to 29.700 MHz on channel 40. Nothing more needed other than changing one component (in most cases) and a realignment of the mixer and RF stages of the radio...

mastercare
Regular
Regular

Postby mastercare » 13 Jan 2017, 13:53

hi ibcomms
just emailed tony at spectrum ref crystal let u know outcome...ill get that fitted , its been a long time which crystal am i replacing again?
sorry im having a bad day...
cheers
paul

mastercare
Regular
Regular

Postby mastercare » 13 Jan 2017, 19:55

Hi lbcomms
tony at spectrum got one 17.655 crystal left, ive just ordered it, let u know when it arrives...<also i forgot this rig goes 1>34 seems strange but ok i hope>
thanks
paul..p/s happy new year down under

lbcomms

Postby lbcomms » 14 Jan 2017, 01:09

It's used to replace the downmixer crystal, which is usually 15.360 MHz.

17.655 - 15.360 = 2.295 MHz, the radio will be shifted up by that amount.

Old channel 1 = 26.965, add 2.295 = 29.260 MHz. This will be your new channel 1.
Old channel 34 = 27.345, add 2.295 = 29.640 MHz. This will be your new channel 34.

By manipulating the programming pins, you should be able to cover 28.8 to 29.7 MHz OK without gaps.

Having a great but rather warm new year down here, temperatures in the high 30's and low 40's. Should be cooling down a bit to something more bearable next week. Hope you had a great Christmas / new year break over there.

You'll need a good set of alignment tools and a multimeter to do the ham conversion. A frequency counter and an oscilloscope are not strictly essential, but you'll have a much nicer time doing the conversion if you have them.

Post here when the crystal arrives and I'll explain the next steps then...

mastercare
Regular
Regular

Postby mastercare » 14 Jan 2017, 18:07

Hi lbcomms
I will post here when crystal arrives, i know tony well from spectrum he helped me with a AKD 6 meter rig which i modified and rebuilt front end as it was deaf, thats very warm even for sydney i guess, I know sydney fairly well as i stayed for 3 weeks in a small outback town called Ourimbah north of sydney
had rather too much victoria bitter if i remember right, it was in november i landed wearing a tee shirt got out of airport and it was cold and pouring rain lol. I did enjoy the captain cook reinactment based on 200 yr celebrations, it was also the year we won the the rugby , i was the the only one who cheered had to make a quick exit....all good fun.
its been below freezing here in UK and we have had alot snow this week, but nothing too bad here in the s/w.
contact u soon
paul...

lbcomms

Postby lbcomms » 14 Jan 2017, 22:45

It's normally in the high 20's / low 30's this time of year here, 40+ for a week is unusual but not unheard of. Common in the desert areas west of here though. Been through Ourimbah many times when heading further north, not much there but a few hobby farms and retirement houses.

The Captain Cook thing must have been a while ago, the whole CC / Australia day thing has become politically incorrect in the last 10 years or so, getting more PI every year. The lefties and hippies call it "invasion day" and protest as if its some kind of racist thing when the England "invaded" the country. The same people that protest about equal rights for "other genders".

Back on subject - I found the Spectrum crystals in a google search, I've never dealt with them. Small world when you know the guy that came up in the search. Let us know here when it arrives and I'll try explaining the process step by step...

Return to “CB Radio - General Topics and Discussion”