11Mtr Packet - PSK31 - is anyone using it?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

Re: 11Mtr Packet - PSK31 - is anyone using it?

Post by ghost123uk »

ChrisMagpie wrote:Ah, so it's like one of thoes alarms that wakes up night fishermen when they get a bite :D
:thumbup: :D 8)
ChrisMagpie wrote:I'm going to build the interface, and see if I can pick anything up. Then, it will probably just sit there, gathering dust :|
You don't need to build owt to just pick it up and de-code it, the microphone built into a laptop can pick it up from the recievers speaker, but using a headset's microphone, with the mic taped over the rig speaker is a bit better. One of the main points about packet is it's ability to pick out the "required signal" from a whole load of background noise. I have seen 11Mtr Packet text appearing with 100% accuracy when all I could hear on the channel was white noise.
ChrisMagpie wrote:I can't imagine people building bulletin boards with it, in this day and age, so I think it would only be used for real time chat, and only then probably on an organised net.
Agreed.
ChrisMagpie wrote:Maybe we're just early adopters? :mrgreen:
So what shall we call this new TM1 digi net then? 8)
Last edited by ghost123uk on 28 Dec 2016, 09:01, edited 1 time in total.
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

If you just want to earwig then no need for an interface, just an audio jack will do. I tend to use MULTIPSK as it covers a lot of HF digital modes.

http://f6cte.free.fr/index_anglais.htm
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ghost123uk »

Admiral wrote:If you just want to earwig then no need for an interface, just an audio jack will do.
If using and audio jack though, inexperienced users might try to connect the extension speaker output on the rig, to the audio input on the computer, with no attenuation = bang goes your soundcard :evil: If anyone needs info on this, shout out.
Admiral wrote:I tend to use MULTIPSK as it covers a lot of HF digital modes.

I'm about to head off for a half days work, but will have a peek at that when I get back. Might turn out to be better than the fldigi which I am currently playing with.
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
ChrisMagpie
Call Sign: 26TM553

Post by ChrisMagpie »

Admiral wrote:If you just want to earwig then no need for an interface, just an audio jack will do. I tend to use MULTIPSK as it covers a lot of HF digital modes.

Crikey! That's a busy piece of software. Does it make the tea and do the washing up, too? :lol:
Had it running on the laptop earlier. Got a nice graph of the sound with my extension speaker next to the laptop mic. Didn't manage to decode anything on mid 24FM, but the band was flat. Will try again, when there's some Euro skip :)
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Yeah, it's been around for a long time and has evolved, and obviously by 'digital' I should have said data :oops:

I use it primarily for HF FAX and NAVTEX as they work very well, CW is good, packet and PSK is okay, and then there's a ton of modes I've never heard of.
Last edited by Admiral on 29 Dec 2016, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisMagpie

Post by ChrisMagpie »

ghost123uk wrote: One of the main points about packet is it's ability to pick out the "required signal" from a whole load of background noise. I have seen 11Mtr Packet text appearing with 100% accuracy when all I could hear on the channel was white noise.
Sounds ideal, as we're all so spaced out (erm, no, that's the UK19 crowd! What I meant was, we're all so geographically far apart! :D )
ghost123uk wrote: So what shall we call this new TM1 digi net then? 8)
Hmmm, where's Delboy when you need him? :)
From what I've read, packet is mostly used on upper sideband elsewhere, it's only on CB that it's used on FM, I guess because that was what was legal in Europe at the time. Now that we've got SSB though, I was thinking mid block USB, channel 30 maybe? It'll probably be a while though, before more people here get tooled up for packet.
It'll be good for us homebases, who aren't going to go climbing hills anytime soon :thumbup:
ChrisMagpie

Post by ChrisMagpie »

Admiral wrote:and then there's a ton of modes I've never heard of.
Phew! It wasn't me just being thick then :D
Bit of a steep learning curve for a noobie, but I'll keep playing with it :)
Off to work now, though :(
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ghost123uk »

ChrisMagpie wrote: From what I've read, packet is mostly used on upper sideband elsewhere, it's only on CB that it's used on FM, I guess because that was what was legal in Europe at the time. Now that we've got SSB though, I was thinking mid block USB, channel 30 maybe?
I will go wherever the signal is. However, I think there might be a frequency that is in current use, or at least one that has already been designated as a data mode frequency (and mode??). If there is, and someone will be along soon no doubt to tell us (or "we" could research it ;)), then we might as well use that one. You never know, we might catch some amazing DX while we're there. Otherwise, CEPT C30 USB is fine for me.
ChrisMagpie wrote:It'll probably be a while though, before more people here get tooled up for packet.
Well I for one have been testing some attenuated wiring to and from the rig and computer. So far I am able to TX and RX at the correct levels, according to the S meter and the computers "waterfall" RX meter. I am now just waiting for the 9 pin "serial" plug to arrive so that I can wire it so that the fldigi software can control the PTT. When that arrives I will make up a proper "lead set" rather than the lash up I have been using for experimenting. So far this project has cost me about £4 :o
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ghost123uk »

Back to back posting :o

In the meantime, if you just want to listen (if you can find any packet radio) check this out = Packet Radio for your phone !!! :o

And there is more Packet stuff HERE, though so far I still like fldigi, but that is likely because it's the one I have currently learnt how to use.
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

MULTIPSK can be used for TXing too if you are a Windows person.
Black_Pirate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM034

Post by Black_Pirate »

packet is still going...quite well in Holland and germany...
still hooked up on the internet with the second system.... www.cbaprs.de...
you can send your position via your android and windows phone..

search aprs on the stores...

you can send packet 1200 or 300 hf with your soundcard so no need to buy a modem...just a cable in some instances or used your psk/sstv box.. search UZ7HO or sound card packet.... its really sensitive....

the web site www.cbaprs.de is the hub for system two.....(search 27 mhz packet on FB)
www.aprs.fi is the ham one (system 1) thats what I call them...

still passing messages flying baloons and tracking vehicles....

sim31 is on 27.245 usb sometimes....too psk31 c.w. and others are on 27.500 usb occasionally (conditions are horrendous at present)

sstv is on 27.700... again a FB page if you search
and RoS is like a modern 1 to one packet is on 27.635 usb slow but sure
and has its own web site www.pskreporter.com

hope this is of interest... :crazy:
looking for propagation for 2013 and beyond... Operating close to the Edge....
of reason......and the Quantocks...
Didi modes (JS8 on 27.245 usb) txt messages via radio lol at minus- 10 to 20 db..... 😊 See FB page...

26T.M.034
GOOD LUCK IN DX
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ghost123uk »

It jolly well is interesting :thumbup:

Thanks for posting :thumbup:

I've got a few days off work now, and I intend to spend some time tidying up my wiring, audio attenuators and serial port PTT switching, then I will have a go "on air" for real :)
Black_Pirate
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Black_Pirate »

mmsstv will send and decode sstv pics using vox....we use this here on a cheap £20 net book...and a windows tablet... cute...
Didi modes (JS8 on 27.245 usb) txt messages via radio lol at minus- 10 to 20 db..... 😊 See FB page...

26T.M.034
GOOD LUCK IN DX
Black_Pirate
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Black_Pirate »

Last edited by Black_Pirate on 31 Dec 2016, 19:39, edited 2 times in total.

26T.M.034
GOOD LUCK IN DX
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger »

you can still get the FBB BBs software if you fancy setting one up. It isnt difficult. but what would be the point with no users.
most TNC's can be had for a few quid and they have a built in PMS (personal message system) where folks can log on and leave you a message.
Might be handy for un-snooped messages no NSA capture cus its RF, and you can leave the TNC running connected to the radio with no computer running.

I think FLDIGI would be a better option though using one of the PSK modes and FLARQ
:D :thumbup:
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ