11Mtr Packet - PSK31 - is anyone using it?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

11Mtr Packet - PSK31 - is anyone using it?

Post by ghost123uk »

Back in the day, I used to do quite a lot with this, using a Baycom modem and simple DOS based software.

These days I am 100% Linux and have found a very nifty bit of software called fldigi (in the Linux repositories) but before I go building interfaces from rig to souncard, I thought I would find out if anyone is actually still "doing this" mode?
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Re: 11Mtr Packet - PSK31 - is anyone using it?

Post by MrWeetabix »

I use PSK31 on 11m when I can. Had some great contacts in the past few years too. I'll hopefully get back up and running if I ever finish my refurb! ha
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

I used to use it a few years ago when I had a homebase set, but all I got was Russians an ex-soviet bloc stations, either my antenna was hideously directional towards them (which it wasn't) or they're the only people using it.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

I was playing PR in early 90's. Anyone remembers ITACA bbs?
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Phoenix
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Phoenix »

Just getting into data modes on 11m watch this space may need help...ha ha
26TM114
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ghost123uk »

^^^ the sound of one hand clapping ?

John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
ChrisMagpie
Call Sign: 26TM553

Post by ChrisMagpie »

I don't know much about packet. Back in the day, I thought it was really antisocial of them to commandeer our channels for some system that excluded most breakers :thumbdown:
These days though, the channels are so quiet, so it doesn't really matter. Also, with SSB now legal and everyone owning a computer that could run it, maybe packet would be worth a go.
My gut feeling is that it's pushing the envelope of nerdom too far, but I could be wrong!
I did look into it briefly, a while back, but there seems to be different standards? Knowing my luck, I'd probably end up with the Betamax version :lolno:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tigertronics- ... SwuTxV-YYQ
^^^^ is this the magic box that will link a made-this-century computer to a humble Superstar 3900?
Seems elegant, but too expensive :|
bigal68
Call Sign: 26fb806

Post by bigal68 »

Chris,

If you would like to play packet, try a Tiny2 TNC and a serial to bluetooth converter.

I have seen both working on 2m but not tried them on 27megs.

I don't see why they shouldn't be ok though....??
Alan 26FB806
----------------------
27.385 LSB, 27.555 USB, 27.78125 FM

Use it or lose it!!!!
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ghost123uk »

Do you actually need a "box" these days?

From what I can see, having had a play with fldigi, (in my case on Linux) it seems to do almost everything by using just software and the computers built in sound card. All one would need is to arrange software triggered PTT operation via a serial port = easy. So, just a case of wiring up the rig to the computer for rx, tx and ptt = 2 x jack plugs and a 9 pin serial plug really.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aside = I have 4 x fairly old Dell laptops here, all with fresh Linux builds on them. They are virtually useless for use on the Internet, but would make ideal packet controllers with that fldigi (or other) software added. If any one wants one for this purpose, just pay me the postage and you can have one (with fldigi installed).
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

ghost123uk wrote: Aside = I have 4 x fairly old Dell laptops here, all with fresh Linux builds on them. They are virtually useless for use on the Internet, but would make ideal packet controllers with that fldigi (or other) software added. If any one wants one for this purpose, just pay me the postage and you can have one (with fldigi installed).
That's a very generous offer, I use an old IBM Thinkpad purely to monitor one POSAG/FLEX channel 24/7, it has run for 9 months now without needing a reboot.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
gouda

Post by gouda »

i havn't used packet for years but i do hear some activity on channels 24 and 36 once in a while so ther must be a few people still using it on this side of the water and I've often thought about setting something up again but i dont have the time. Channel 24 used to be the DX channel and 36, 38 and 40 depending where you lived were for local chinwags and the up/downlink with your home BBS. later quite a few of us (the Lucky ones that lived close to the home BBS) managed to set up 4k8 links using LPD portos, a lot faster than the 1k2 on the CB channels. ther was a wel organised national network and for a while it was great .. but internet killed packet on the CB, most of the users wher more interested in computers than radios so it was quick to die when internet became affordable and available for the masses.
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ghost123uk »

ghost123uk wrote:Do you actually need a "box" these days?

From what I can see, having had a play with fldigi, (in my case on Linux) it seems to do almost everything by using just software and the computers built in sound card. All one would need is to arrange software triggered PTT operation via a serial port = easy. So, just a case of wiring up the rig to the computer for rx, tx and ptt = 2 x jack plugs and a 9 pin serial plug really.
Anyone got any comments on this ? (wishing to learn, and if I'm right "have a go", with one of my surplus old laptops).
ChrisMagpie

Post by ChrisMagpie »

I found this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr6QojNVTC0
It seems a TNC is no longer needed. Check about 8 minutes into the video, to see how he has it connected. He uses a cheapo USB soundcard, so as not to risk damage to the computer's own soundcard. That's one way of doing it, I suppose :D
Then, I found this circuit:
http://www.echolink.ru/downloads/ptt_to_computer.pdf
which uses isolation transformers for the audio. That seems better. Use the computer's existing soundcard, and the isolation ensures no damage to the computer or the radio. Those transformers are cheap, and readily available (a search for "PSK31 isolation transformer" finds them). The whole lot could be cobbled together at very low cost.
How about 27.78125 as the official TM1 packet frequency? :mrgreen:
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ghost123uk »

^^^ I thought so, though I had forgotten to take into account matching the audio levels, though in my case, I would be happy enough to do that with a couple of simple resister "L" pads, directly on the lead, under some heat-shrink, or could go all fancy with trimmer pots in a lil box.

One reason I like packet is not just the techy / computer side of it, but the fact that you can set it to call CQ CQ etc etc automatically, say every 60 seconds, and it can sit there for hours doing that, while you get on with other stuff, but when it gets a reply, you are alerted and can then take over. Remember, it's a no no to leave it unattended ;)

Trouble ism right now, there is only a very slim (as far as I can gather) chance of finding a contact :evil:
But, remember, I have 3 free laptops here that will do this if anyone else wants to give it a go.

As for that ^^^ choice of frequency for packet, 27.8125, every time I monitor that one I do hear lots of whining and screeching noises, so perhaps that is a good choice. Or stick with an already established one, which is..........................................?
ChrisMagpie

Post by ChrisMagpie »

Ah, so it's like one of thoes alarms that wakes up night fishermen when they get a bite :D

I'm going to build the interface, and see if I can pick anything up. Then, it will probably just sit there, gathering dust :|
I can't imagine people building bulletin boards with it, in this day and age, so I think it would only be used for real time chat, and only then probably on an organised net.
Maybe we're just early adopters? :mrgreen: