Monthly UK40FM Net????

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Monthly UK40FM Net????

Post by Oggy »

DavidBehr wrote:SSB would likely exclude a lot of rigs, but so would using AM given the distances between those that might pick up.
The answers in the title, there are plenty of SSB nets {bnghd}

UKFM Net.....ideally with Oldskool equipment IMO :thumbup:
DavidBehr
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by DavidBehr »

Much respect and all that to you M0OGY, but I was replying to:

"Just mention the freq day and time and I will give it a try,Although due to my location ssb may be better.But hey ho am/fm will do."

Where specific mention of AM and SSB was made. Which is a fair point. Classic CB gear, of which I have one left in my possession and I switch to for local chats as it is better at suppressing noise than my multimode. This would not get a signal out far enough for many to join in even though the FM channels mentioned are clear of PLT noise, and thus many would be excluded unless there was a miracle of propagation.

Of course, you might consider a linear classic CB (or even a sidebander ... oh hang on {bnghd} ... ) but even then you get a lot of interference to adjacent frequencies for not much extra distance.

Enjoy.
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oggy »

DavidBehr wrote:Much respect and all that to you M0OGY, but I was replying to:

"Just mention the freq day and time and I will give it a try,Although due to my location ssb may be better.But hey ho am/fm will do."

Where specific mention of AM and SSB was made. Which is a fair point. Classic CB gear, of which I have one left in my possession and I switch to for local chats as it is better at suppressing noise than my multimode. This would not get a signal out far enough for many to join in even though the FM channels mentioned are clear of PLT noise, and thus many would be excluded unless there was a miracle of propagation.

Of course, you might consider a linear classic CB (or even a sidebander ... oh hang on {bnghd} ... ) but even then you get a lot of interference to adjacent frequencies for not much extra distance.

Enjoy.
Firstly welcome to TM1 David :thumbup:
Where's your location?

I didn't say you mentioned SSB and whilst we all enjoy that mode , it's all about getting those old UKFM rigs active again.
I'm sure back in 1981 many used linears such as Bremi BRL200 and CP100's , whilst not legal then as now ( :ugeek: )I'm sure some will appear out the cupboard.
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

Well I'm happy to go ahead with a net on channel 35UKFM on the first Sunday evening each month if everyone is in agreement?

So that would be starting Sunday 4th December at 8pm.

Of course this will only work if everyone does their best to promote the event on Facebook/Twitter/Forums etc...
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

Post by ghost123uk »

delboyonline wrote:Well I'm happy to go ahead with a net on channel 35UKFM on the first Sunday evening each month if everyone is in agreement?

Of course this will only work if everyone does their best to promote the event on Facebook/Twitter/Forums etc...
DOH, not been on here for a while, and 2 days too late I spot this :oops:

Ah well, theres is always next month (or "we" could do it weekly?)

How did it go anyway?
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
Allan666
Call Sign: G0CRB

Post by Allan666 »

I forgot about the 4th December lol well will try and get on next one...Or Or What about a Christmas hook up on boxing Day or another holiday date /time. Channel 35 FM then. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If the problen cant be sorted with a "LUMP-HAMMER" then its most likely to be an Electrical fault
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

ghost123uk wrote:
delboyonline wrote:Well I'm happy to go ahead with a net on channel 35UKFM on the first Sunday evening each month if everyone is in agreement?

DOH, not been on here for a while, and 2 days too late I spot this :oops:

Ah well, theres is always next month (or "we" could do it weekly?)

How did it go anyway?
Going off comments on the various Facebook pages it went well in many areas.

The next one falls on New Years Day so if the headaches have all cleared up by 8pm there should be plenty of stations on the air.
26TM003
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M3VUI

Post by 26TM003 »

Oggy wrote: it's all about getting those old UKFM rigs active again.

This generates the old buzz in me, hello Oggy been a long time since we chatted.
Still enjoy watching your videos, your one of those guys that has kept the fire alive for me.
pending my big house move to Somerset in january I am currently preparing to have my Lafayette Telsat serviced and an old valve amp to boot, I am looking forward to trying this once I'm set up again, no guarantees ill make it in to the actual net but they trying and speaking on air and who else may hear me and chat is what excites me.
Ill be trying a horizontal dipole initially for this as Im not fully versed up on the new house and where/how ill get a twig up but we will get there.

Interesting thread :) :thumbup:
Test
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oggy »

26TM003 wrote:

This generates the old buzz in me, hello Oggy been a long time since we chatted.
Still enjoy watching your videos, your one of those guys that has kept the fire alive for me.
pending my big house move to Somerset in january I am currently preparing to have my Lafayette Telsat serviced and an old valve amp to boot, I am looking forward to trying this once I'm set up again, no guarantees ill make it in to the actual net but they trying and speaking on air and who else may hear me and chat is what excites me.
Ill be trying a horizontal dipole initially for this as Im not fully versed up on the new house and where/how ill get a twig up but we will get there.

Thanks for the Flowers, I try my best :D
I'm trying to think who you are.......have we worked on the radio?
mof000
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mof000 »

Oggy wrote:
26TM003 wrote:

No it's not me!
I'll pay whatever i think it's worth...:-)
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oggy »

mof000 wrote:
Oggy wrote:
26TM003 wrote:

No it's not me!
I know you :lol:
26TM003
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M3VUI

Post by 26TM003 »

I used to be known as Simon in Loughton aka M3VUI

Marks old mate 037, Essex then Surrey .....lookout Somerset lol

Don't think we have ever actually spoken on the airwaves yet, Ill work on that :)
Test
rizz

Post by rizz »

I used to live in Essex and Never heard any of the big Nets ever, I was in a dip, but now I'm on top of a hill and I heard at least 15 guys on the mid week Net up here in Nottinghamshire, although they had over 50 contacts that night, so I'm hoping I will hear something on the monthly UK40FM.
Yaesu FT7900, Superstar 3900 Red Display, President Lincoln, Adonis 308, Astatic road devil, Microset 27-200T Amp. Sirio Gp-3 5/8th 2m Antenna.
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

For those who fancy a go, the next Monthly net will take place on Sunday 1st January from 8pm.....