High SWR When using a linear.

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Buick Mackane

High SWR When using a linear.

Post by Buick Mackane »

To top all the other crap iv'e had with this linear my anytone 5555 is now giving me a high SWR warning when i use it, Although only on high SSB voice peaks. My SWR is 1.2 (ish) My SWR stays constant at 100 watts on FM. It only happens on SSB like i said with high voice peaks, I had this problem with the anytone before using another antenna and without using a linear. Harmonics ?
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: High SWR When using a linear.

Post by andymuza »

Doubt it will be harmonics but you may be getting some RFi into the cables. Try a few feritte clamps on the power cables, Patch Leads and Mic cable, in fact any cable that is connected the radio in any way.
I will not be commanded, I will not be controlled.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

andymuza wrote:Doubt it will be harmonics but you may be getting some RFi into the cables. Try a few feritte clamps on the power cables, Patch Leads and Mic cable, in fact any cable that is connected the radio in any way.

Its possible as i'm using a dipole in the attic and its right above my shack, Its been one of those days, Think i'll take up butterfly collecting :(
listner132
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by listner132 »

Best to check swr with an inline swr meter just to make sure your swr is ok and if it is then just turn off the high swr protection in your menu.
163TM847
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 163TM847 »

This is a common fault with cheap Mosfet amps especially the KL203.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Black Spirit wrote:This is a common fault with cheap Mosfet amps especially the KL203.
Any way round it nick besides ramming it up their ass ?
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

And it is a KL203 :shock:
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 163dt307

Post by dt307 »

Use a rig not from China with MOSFETs in it

Honestly the kl203s I have all hate China MOSFET rigs

Same supply same antenna same patch leads
Madison.grant.shogun.257.Benjamin.George. All good the 5555 .9900 keep giving high swr or holding the amp in tx u till magical smoke come from the rig

But swap out the kl203 for a b300p and will work with China or Italian or any thing else you feed it with
163dt307-chris

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”
― Albert Einstein
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

cheers for the info, i'll use my mark 1 lincoln see how that goes.
jason
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM070

Post by jason »

I had this . Found my swr meter was patched in after the linear or before gave different reading .
wa10
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by wa10 »

That's normal,
with the meter after the amp your measuring vswr on the coax to the antenna, if the antenna is close to 50ohm with 50ohm coax and there is not much common mode on the coax braid you will have a good vswr,

with the meter before the amp you are measuring vswr on the coax from radio to amp, if the amplifier input matching is off you will have raised vswr,

the amps directivity also plays a role, the input & output are not totally isolated from each other,
high directivity gives decent isolation between input & output so input tune & output load don't mutually effect each other so much,

unstable operation can cause vswr issues on both ends of the amplifier, very few if any cb amps are unconditionally stable,

some are sensitive to what's connected to their input and will self oscillate with certain loads or patch lead length,
you unkey and your amp is stuck in TX, even with the rig off its still putting out power & vswr is in the red,

changing patch lead length on amps that are sensitive to what's feeding them can stop the oscillations.
W8JI
"An antenna with a poor ground using few radials cannot have a support mast grounded to the radial common point (at least it shouldn't if designed properly) There is no exception to this!