CB Radio article/book

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
NUBSTER
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM545

Re: CB Radio article/book

Post by NUBSTER »

108EH002 :thumbup: cheers , my Mrs has never really complained about my radio hobby TBH ,and my kids have always taken the pi55 jokingly but when one of them (my daughter ) spoke to person in the States on SSB back when she was about 12 (she is 28 now) she thought it was great but my two sons still have a dig joking saying that it's the 21st century dad start using a phone lol, still, I have my two grandsons perhaps I can get them in to while there young but no way will I let them be like the pratts in those videos putting on cowboy hats and pretending there good old boys truckers
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

The issue for me is that Hulks brother Will, will write his stuff and not give a flying fig about the subject, then next month he'll be on a classic motor forum because he's doing an article on the Ford Anglia of which he also knows or cares nothing about.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
NUBSTER
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM545

Post by NUBSTER »

Admiral wrote:The issue for me is that Hulks brother Will, will write his stuff and not give a flying fig about the subject, then next month he'll be on a classic motor forum because he's doing an article on the Ford Anglia of which he also knows or cares nothing about.
100% Agree
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oggy »

This guy has contacted RU magazine asking for people to help him, he has posted this on various Forums and even contacted me direct via E-mail.
I don't mind helping anyboby promote the hobby, but as others have said Giles Brandeth made a mockery of our hobby on the One Show and if I remember rightly he visited Thunderpole.
Just why this fella keeps mentioning Eyeball cards seems a bit odd to me, whilst it was a part of the hobby in the old days, it's hardly relevant today.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Oggy wrote: this fella keeps mentioning Eyeball cards seems a bit odd to me, whilst it was a part of the hobby in the old days, it's hardly relevant today.

Scratch & sniff ? takes allsorts, Who are we to judge ? :)
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

I'm not too sure what a card with 'You've Just Eyeballed Rubber Duck' will tell anyone about CB history.

The nuts and bolts of the hobby in terms of hardware is easy, you only have to read this forum, but understanding the ethos and community of CB would take a lot more explaining.
will_hogan
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by will_hogan »

Morning all,

Thanks for the responses.

I'm now doing a book which, for the record, is a very respectful look at CB Radio Culture then and now. To clarify, my step dad had a Cortina with CB Rig installed, so I guess that makes me 'sad' too. Where I grew up in Suffolk (yes, I'm a carrot cruncher) breaking was normal. I swapped eyeball cards and felt lucky that I got to be part of something more interesting and socially stimulating over the usual football chat and Panini stickers (not that there's anything wrong with these either, just personal preference). I think what I'm getting at is that it's as intrinsic to my childhood as Wotsits or the imposing visage of Maggie Thatcher. There is no negative judgement here.

As for the hiatus in posts and checking, that's life getting in the way of something I feel passionate about.

If you'd like to contribute in some way and of course be credited, great, if not, it's all good. I wish you the best.

Thanks,

Will
RogerD
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RogerD »

LOL, there you go Admiral, apologise like you said you would :D
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Being introduced to CB in the late 90s, I am probably not the ideal candidate to speak to, as that was a little later than the heyday. Also, I wouldn't describe myself as a CBer these days either, as my hobby is mainly DX and not really local CB chit-chat.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

I apologise
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oggy »

MrWeetabix wrote:Being introduced to CB in the late 90s, I am probably not the ideal candidate to speak to, as that was a little later than the heyday. Also, I wouldn't describe myself as a CBer these days either, as my hobby is mainly DX and not really local CB chit-chat.
Because your just a Boy :lol:
mof000
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mof000 »

Oggy wrote:
MrWeetabix wrote:Being introduced to CB in the late 90s, I am probably not the ideal candidate to speak to, as that was a little later than the heyday. Also, I wouldn't describe myself as a CBer these days either, as my hobby is mainly DX and not really local CB chit-chat.
Looks like some of old bu@@ers may have to chime in here!

I think CB radio should be treated like girlfriends.... Put them on the back burner until you have an interest again! ;)
I'll pay whatever i think it's worth...:-)
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oggy »

mof000 wrote:
Oggy wrote:
Looks like some of old bu@@ers may have to chime in here!

I think CB radio should be treated like girlfriends.... Put them on the back burner until you have an interest again! ;)
Trouble is your CB Radios have a Chastity belt fitted :lol:
RogerD
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RogerD »

LOL @Admiral..... I wear reading specs these days so I can quite clearly see that still :D
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Has anyone else printed and framed Admiral's apology yet? :lol:
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |