Another HELP!!!!

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Nadine
New User
New User

Another HELP!!!!

Post by Nadine »

This is my first post on here, and it looks like everyone is seriously into CB Radios and things, but I have a question on some simple two way radios.

We have a pair of Motorola Handie pro radios. The problem we have is that we have 96% Ethanol in the area where they are to be used, and as you can probably guess, we need a pair (maybe more) of radios that we can use in this fairly explosive atmosphere.

Motorola have informed us that they don't think that these are safe in this area, does anyone have any other suggestions? The area they are to be used in is fairly noisy, and they need to be able to last for around twelve hours.

I would really appreciate any help you could give me

Thanks

Nadine
Yoda
Regular
Regular

Post by Yoda »

For any radio's used in an area which has risk of explosion you require "Intrinsically Safe" radios. These are avilible at a price and you should find out which classication your invironment is where you want to use the radios and make sure the radios meet that classification. The radios must not be charged in that area or batteries changed in the area. You probably want to contact a radio supplier who is aproved to supply the type radios you require. Expext to pay a lot of money for them, 2 to 3 times the price of an ordinary one. Motorola make Intrinsically safe radios and have many dealers through out the UK,so try in the yellow pages, or on the web.
Regards
Yoda
Nadine
New User
New User

Post by Nadine »

Thanks Yoda, You're a star, OK a little green wrinkly star, but still a star!!

Nadine.
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

Post by Guzzy »

Isn't the risk from electrical arcing?

Are mobile phones banned from the area you are talking about (like in petrol stations)?

How about fully waterproof PMR446 radios? All the electronics are completely surrounded by sealed rubber/plastic.

I hasten to add I have no idea about the rules regarding using electronic devices in an explosive atmosphere. the above is just an idea.

By the way: How do YOU survive in an atmosphere made up of 96% Ethanol :?: :D
Nadine
New User
New User

Post by Nadine »

The Ethanol is in a sealed tank, it is more from fumes when offloading the tankers. It's very much like a petrol station. I personally don't think that there is much of a risk. The Handiepros are made from plastic with rubber buttons, so I would have thought they were reasonably safe, the atmosphere isn't exactly laden with alcohol fumes, we're a vinegar brewery, so the smell of the vinegar sort of overpowers everything else!!
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

Post by Guzzy »

Personally, I wouldn't want to be blown up :D

I reckon it's worth seeking professional advice.