crt ss9900 anyone?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
mickymcd

crt ss9900 anyone?

Post by mickymcd »

anyone have one a variant of the anytone at6666n how do they perform ?
andrew013
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT013

Re: crt ss9900 anyone?

Post by andrew013 »

bought one brand new its now back at CRT France getting looked at faulty from new out the box , apart from the fault i did like it, it is a fault on the rx audio circuit and i heard of one that that jumps bands half way through a qso apart from that a friend of mine has one works a treat so far
also heard a few on air sound really good on ssb freq is stable audio crisp if not a tad flat but still nice and of course 60 watts(ssb)does help
on air,tyne&wear,northumberland,durham,holy island,eu120+eu124 and anywhere from gateshead/north wales
scrap uk 40 give cbers L/M/Hcalling on 27.355/555 usb qsy 27.015 lsb/410 usb cb radio is for life not just for profits
i do cb radio not 11mtres,countrys worked 2015 with imax 2000 72
CaptainKirk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: KIRKY

Post by CaptainKirk »

Got one in the car its ok. to be honest its nothing special but it will do the job lots of features ctcss, split, powerful but being menu driven bit of a pain.asq is a bit dodgy, the speaker is krap use an external one,the mic is not brilliant either using a president one from a jacko2 sounds bit deeper.
CAPTAIN KIRK-26TM013/26CT013/26UK013 John mobile South Cheshire.
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

I swapped an Alinco DR-135 for mine (a CRT SS 9900). I think I got an absolute bargain!

Very stable on frequency and works great. The supplied mic is horrible to look at and feels uncomfortable in the hand, but it does it's job. I've not yet tried a different mic on it, but reports on the stock mic are positive.

A very small radio it is too, even smaller than a Lincoln 2, but still quite heavy due to the quality heatsink. Solid feel to the build.

The 9900 gets the thumbs up from me :thumbup:
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
26SD782
Regular
Regular

Post by 26SD782 »

ww1.1[1].jpg
nice little radio sounds great on both RX/TX, it's easy to use if you keep it in frequency display mode in channel display mode it's easy to get lost... On rx at my home the s meter shows s3 of man made noise but so does my ts590 in the car it's fine...I had this radio for a few days now and I have worked a lot of DX already
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B5566

Post by B5566 »

I'd second KptKirk here. Nothing special.

After just only 2 days of mobile use my thoughts are:

- changing frequencies is annoying, there's muted delay between each click on selector so you can't sweep the band by just turning knob to hear what's up without stopping on each click
- audio output is a bit too low as for my liking for mobile
- sensitivity is pretty much so so, bit deaf compared to my favourite rci, will have to give it a bit of fine tuning
- knobs are a bit too fiddly, but it's small radio so not much choice here
- filtering isn't the greatest on both rx and tx, it's just about ok, something to mod and improve
- swr meter is out of alignment? Shows something different than my meters or analyser - must find out how to get it lined up
- Roger beep, selection of 5, none useable, silly tunes, no plain single bleep.

That's it.

Pros:

- good tx audio
- rit highly customizable - I like it!
- echo and amplification built in the radio makes power echo mics unnecessary. But I've wired up nice ex police mic what goes nicely with this radio
- lots of menu driven options - not abundantly stuffed as yaesu but few nice ones
- small and lightweight with reasonable power output - just fine as mobile rig.

Probably the best thing what you can get for the money now.
Resistance is futile.
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

B5566 wrote:- changing frequencies is annoying, there's muted delay between each click on selector so you can't sweep the band by just turning knob to hear what's up without stopping on each click
The joys of the digital age. Analogue had its issues but digital has issues of its very own.
I will not be commanded, I will not be controlled.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
CaptainKirk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by CaptainKirk »

I agree for the money very good value for all that it can do and a nice size for the car thats why I got one
a very ham radio looking CB not a disaster well mine is working as it should.not compared SWR readings yet must have a look at that.
and yes delay on changing freq the maxlog 8900 doesnt do it so it can be done shame its not like that on this rig.
Might be a simple mod to do the Realistic DX394 did that all that you did was clip a wire and it stopped it.
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

Delays are down to the AGC releasing to slow. Should be able to be sorted via a firmware update.

I remember the FT-950 having an AGC delay if ever the radio received a strong pop from a light switch being switched on or something similar. Cured via a firmware update.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
cubwolf
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M3CBY

Post by cubwolf »

I had one in to program the other day that some numpty had pushed the usb socket off the pcb.

I was impressed with the build quality and the receive but didn't get very good reports on the FM tx audio with the stock mic and a NM-532.

Not a bad radio though for the money. Plenty of output and worked well on SSB.
B5566

Post by B5566 »

It has nothing to do with AGC. Rather "joys of digital age" - some firmware code or sdr management is just very poor. None of other "digital radios" I own does it.

Actually I am thinking to myself that despite few annoying points I like this radio and rate it higher than Lincoln 2.
Resistance is futile.
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

B5566 wrote:It has nothing to do with AGC.
We will have to agree to disagree and so will the guys at Yaesu who advised me that the logarithms within the AGC code were incorrect and hence why the problem was cured with a firmware update.
andrew013
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT013

Post by andrew013 »

well i got mine back from crt audio amp faulty they said apparently i talked to long on it even tho fault came on in rx mode and i never tx`ed on it at all anywho put radio straight in the motor had not even connected antenna to it and guess what the same fecking fault , shop gave me another one , and straight out the box scratches all over top cases i doubt i will be buying any more crt radios even with a 2 yr warranty
on air,tyne&wear,northumberland,durham,holy island,eu120+eu124 and anywhere from gateshead/north wales
scrap uk 40 give cbers L/M/Hcalling on 27.355/555 usb qsy 27.015 lsb/410 usb cb radio is for life not just for profits
i do cb radio not 11mtres,countrys worked 2015 with imax 2000 72
B5566

Post by B5566 »

Lol! I was going to share my experience - a week of mobile operation and white LED backlight for MEM button started flickering. Also mode button instead of changing mode brought up VOLUME word on display. What a joke :)
Resistance is futile.
CaptainKirk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by CaptainKirk »

Yes there are a few bugs with this rig I pressed mode and volume came up on the display,does not do that everytime though.