di pole

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
cosmic
Regular
Regular

di pole

Post by cosmic »

Hi could anybody give me the measurements for a 1/2 wave and a full wave homemade di-pole?
Cosmic, 108-TM-014, MM3XXO
adrian
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

RE: di pole

Post by adrian »

I am NOT getting involved with this subject...........YOU cant make me! [-X
FoulOleRon

Post by FoulOleRon »

adrian
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by adrian »

yep nice 1 ron,dunno bout fullwave maybe 32,ft 6 wire and matcher,pass.
ryan_paul
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ryan_paul »

if you want a 1/2 wave on 27.555 MHz you will need 2 legs at 2.72 meters each. I would recomend that you measure out 2.75 meters as you will loose 1 cm in connecting to the feed and this gives you some scope to cut the legs shorter when agusting it.

I found the best way to measure the sire is to extend your tape measure on the floor and use crocadile clip the wire every meter to the tape measure.

I used a terminal block as my dipole centre make sure that one leg connets to the coax centre and the other to the coax outer and that ther is no connetion between the two legs and between the inner and oputer of the coax. its also a good idea to solder the connction.

cheers.
cheers and 73

Paul
M3XPR.
greg68div
Regular
Regular

Post by greg68div »

You will prob need to make a balun

http://www.hamuniverse.com/balun.html

This will give you a balanced line. 50ohms in ---> 50ohms out. It will seriously help with TVI and will help your swr.

I have a centre-fed dipole. I have added a counterpoise(another piece of wire the same length as my antennas cable) at 90degrees to each leg. The electrical length is now a full wave. just solder these to the coax braid and core. I will swr it this weekend when i get home from work. Hope it works.

I am also going to do a 'Blue Light' Conversion to my lincoln.

I will post photos as i get through it. It looks easy enough to do. :)

If anyone has the value of the resistor which acts as a dim switch on the lincoln i would be muchas grazias. I'm estimating 80k, but cant be sure
cosmic
Regular
Regular

Post by cosmic »

Excellent,thanks all for your info,think i feel a project coming on...it is the holidays!!! :D
Cosmic, 108-TM-014, MM3XXO
ryan_paul
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ryan_paul »

Baluns are generaly considered to be optional and in my opinion you will only neeed to make one if you use a long feed.

If you do make one it will need to be a !:1 ratio. I would suggedt using the coax itself as a bulun around 5 turns of coax each about 6 inches would proabaly do.

other things to watch out for
- SWR your antenna in AM or FM modes as SSB and CW do not have a carrier unless modulated.

- Try to keek your antenna away from anthing conductive.
- if you support your antenna with a tourt insulator (I used strimmer line) the antenna may need to be cut shorter than you expected.
- SWR yor antenna and then make small ajustments and try again.
cheers and 73

Paul
M3XPR.
adrian
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by adrian »

this halfwave centerfed thing seems to be catching on a bit!

oi ryan paul,come on,,,hows that rig of your doing?

magnetic loop anyone(i think the capacitor is a bit overboard,diy)
http://www.geocities.com/fucimin
ryan_paul
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ryan_paul »

Coming on very nicely.

nice low SWR and when you run on USB the watt meter can peak ar 20 watt although its usualy around 10 -12 at least acording to the external VSWR / power meter.

after I had ajusted the VSWR I called CQ for a bit but the wather was nastly and I did not hear anything back.

Hopfully I will have more luck tonight. Wednesday is radio nigh and after my amateur radio club on the air meeting I will have anoither go at CQ ing.
cheers and 73

Paul
M3XPR.
adrian
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by adrian »

u listen to amateurs? strange
ryan_paul
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ryan_paul »

I am a member of an amatuer radio club as well.

there are couple of the guys in my club also moonlight on eleven meter.
cheers and 73

Paul
M3XPR.
adrian
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by adrian »

why do they do that i wonder,are they trying to tell us something! is it not all its chalked up to be,i supose its what you make of it!
ryan_paul
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ryan_paul »

Amateur radio is great and for me one of the apeals is the technical nature of the hobby and amount of bands across the hole spectrun.

I also love 11 meter but for very diferent reasons. its much more relaxed ther are no regulations because at lease part of 11 meter is illegal and also its less techncial.

I dont know about others but I dont see why you cant enjoy both hobbies many CBers have gone on to be hams.

cheers.
cheers and 73

Paul
M3XPR.