which is the very best ukfm cb radio

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Re: which is the very best ukfm cb radio

Post by Mudslinger »

UGLY_BOB wrote:Just to throw a little petrol on the fire... for RX the Midland 3001 / 4001 can do sterling work. I've used a 4001 in the Uglimobile for a while now, and it pulls in distant stations better than many of the 'favourites'.
Binatone 5 Star - York - Rotel - Uniace - Audioline... A well set up 3001 or 4001 can equal or exceed them all.
Ugs

I am glad you mentioned the Midland 3001/4001, as I was going to mention another radio with the same board.

The Maxcom 30E

Although the Maxcom does come with a crystal filter as standard though which might make the recieve a little deaf in comparison?

The one I have certainly sounds better on transmit than the Rotel RVC-240 I have, but it doesn't sound as nice as the Uniace 200 that I normally use.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
CaptainKirk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: KIRKY

Post by CaptainKirk »

If you live in a highly populated area full of cbers then its got to be uniden boarded rigs they are great for dealing with bleedover.if its sensitivity your after then the cybernets are brill. modulation?, the uniden prob shades it but like what ugs says the big midland rigs are good too esp modulation wise, the amstrad is good as well.I personally have a soft spot for the Maxcom 30e which has a crystal filtered midland 4001 board :)
CAPTAIN KIRK-26TM013/26CT013/26UK013 John mobile South Cheshire.
26CAB40
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 26CAB40 »

Back to the original question.
I think you have your answer, nobody rates modern transceivers.
"It's worth whatever they're willing to pay"
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Adriano9966 »

26CAB40 wrote:Back to the original question.
yes I agree however he did say dedicated 27/81 and the only modern rig I can think of is the moonraker minor

on the other hand if it was a multi norm transceiver you are spoilt for choice there seems to be quite a number of new ones atm i think there is even one that features a remote lead and separation cable
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

I think some of them work well enough, but they don't seem to be built to last like the old skool rigs were.

We have a Moonraker minor kicking about here somewhere, and it looks awfully cheap and nasty. Not something I would want to use personally.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Adriano9966 »

Mudslinger wrote:

I think some of them work well enough, but they don't seem to be built to last like the old skool rigs were.

We have a Moonraker minor kicking about here somewhere, and it looks awfully cheap and nasty. Not something I would want to use personally.
me neither but if someone was really stuck for a cheap transceiver it does work

but that is the only 27/81 dedicated modern transceiver that i can think of

the rest are all multinorm ie switchable for each country

if he had said 80 channel then there would be a better choice

I would like to see a brand new dedicated base unit for eg but there are none atm
Ashtec
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: M6LTD

Post by Ashtec »

I think any think with the cybernet PTBM 134 AOX PCB is worth a look at for 27/81uk..............

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

Post by WARLOCK »

Any one had any dealings with a maxon cm10 ,would this be a good choice or not ? From warlock1946
SierraTangoUniform

Post by SierraTangoUniform »

WARLOCK1946 wrote:Any one had any dealings with a maxon cm10 ,would this be a good choice or not ? From warlock1946
Great reviews apparently - I wish I'd read 'em a bit better before buying a Midland, that's for sure!

If you're looking to spend as little as possible on something with warranty, the Maxon is probably going to be one of the better ones. I guess the other budget models are the Midland 98 or one of the TTis, but then again, the TTis are multiband.

To all those above: I didn't see Warlock ask for a 27/81? He simply said UKFM which to me implies 80 channel 27/97 too, so modern units should be included

Adriano9966: I didn't see him specifically mention 27/81?
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Don't the midlands and TTi's use Maxon Boards anyway?
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

porky.69
Legend
Legend

Post by porky.69 »

UNIDEN 300. AUDIOLINE 341 HARRIER CBX ;)

my personal choice
This is my Territory.....Be on your way 8)
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

For reception and good audio then the good old (and cheap as chips at the time, £19 from Comet) Amstrads and Mustangs are hard to beat lol. If you want decent quality, reliability and good RX too then the usual suspects of Rotel240/York863/HarrierCBX/Radiomobile202/Cybernet Beta 3000 etc. If you want good adjacent channel rejection if you live close to another CB'er then the Audioline/Unidens do nicely. It depends on your situation, or sometimes you prefer the looks of one radio over another. Another decent radio is the good old Magpie Autoscan 5000. I always had Cybernets until I lived a few doors away from someone with a silver rod running 50watts, and I switched to a Black Uniden 200 to see if it would help matters. It did help a bit.
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Adriano9966 »

SierraTangoUniform wrote: Adriano9966: I didn't see him specifically mention 27/81?
:) yes fair point Im showing my age here back in the day just after legalisation people used to refer to 27/81 as uk fm eg on the nato 2000 in the instruction booklet 27/81 is also refered to as uk fm

ukfm cb can also be the cept band however i dont think I am the only person who took him to mean this

in that case I would say the the president jackson 2 as this is the only multi norm cb on sale that has both 27/81 cept and all other european normatives and also on ssb

laughable that this meets the type conformity for sale here and is completely legal to use but we are not allowed to use the ssb/am settings

I enjoy using this transceiver whilst on holiday in france and this was also what i used for the big net :D
mayhemicmayhem

Post by mayhemicmayhem »

The best 27/81 set that I had was the Audioline 341, good adjacent channel rejction and great reception.
euroman
Regular
Regular

Post by euroman »

WARLOCK1946 wrote:Any one had any dealings with a maxon cm10 ,would this be a good choice or not ? From warlock1946
Hi new to this, well was on the air 20 years ago, just bought a Maxon cm10 well pleased.
Was talking to a breaker in the Malvern's a couple of nights ago I was on large hill near Exeter. Not sure what he was running but he told me I was real clear on modulation hitting him at about 2pounds on a cm10 with a sparkler antenna
Not sure how far Exeter and the Malvern's are apart ?