What's you dream station set-up?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

What's you dream station set-up?

Post by g0slq »

Apologies if been done before (I'm still fairly new on here lol) assuming money no object and space, planning prmission, avaiability of kit, what would everyone be favouring for mobile & home base?

I refer to CB 10/11m - I assume there are a lot of amateurs on here as well as SWL's.

Would it be the current radios, or classic oldies. My one regret was never owning a Colt Excalibur or Ham International Jumbo in the old days. Fortunately i had SIgma 4 and 3 ele beam yet my favourite antenna was a mighty Magnum. It had less gain, but brilliant in the wind - I live on a high exposed location. The Sigma scared me lol.

With that in mind for me, it was Cobra 148GTLDX, Turner Expander Desk Mike, Mighty Magnum & no more than 100w output.

Only just received the President so not tried it yet (will be good to compare receive with various amateur rigs.

The Delta Force 9 looks interesting though :wink:

hmm never satisfied with our lot.

Steve
G0SLQ website
Icom IC-7100 + two patchleads and a broken PL
Animal

RE: What

Post by Animal »

When I was a young 'un (1980) I lusted after a Cobra 148 GTL-DX & would have loved a Turner +3 microphone and an Avanti PDL II quad with it - as it was I had to settle for the Sigma IV (oh, the pain!) but still managed to work most of the world on QRP as it was the height of the sunspot cycle. :D

These days I'm lucky enough to have got my ultimate homebase set-up (Kenwood TS-870S, Heil PR-40, W2IHY EQplus & 8 band EQ, & a Cubex 2 element quad) & I'm livin' the dream, lol but I still have a couple of oldies for mobile work (plus a Magnum S9!) :twisted:

I like the retro stuff as it looks well when I'm wearing my Harris Tweed blazer & straw boater whilst driving my Austin Healey! :lol:
Rig ~ Tomy Baby Monitor (8 Pill)
Mic ~ Heil Element in a Pot Noodle Cup
Ant ~ Two co-phased coathangers
Power ~ Running off two lemons
Amp ~ Soviet Tetrode driving a flux-capacitor
Rotator ~ Cement mixer motor with dimmer switch
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: RE: What

Post by g0slq »

Animal wrote:When I was a young 'un (1980) I lusted after a Cobra 148 GTL-DX & would have loved a Turner +3 microphone and an Avanti PDL II quad with it - as it was I had to settle for the Sigma IV (oh, the pain!) but still managed to work most of the world on QRP as it was the height of the sunspot cycle. :D

These days I'm lucky enough to have got my ultimate homebase set-up (Kenwood TS-870S, Heil PR-40, W2IHY EQplus & 8 band EQ, & a Cubex 2 element quad) & I'm livin' the dream, lol but I still have a couple of oldies for mobile work (plus a Magnum S9!) :twisted:

I like the retro stuff as it looks well when I'm wearing my Harris Tweed blazer & straw boater whilst driving my Austin Healey! :lol:
I always loved the Kenwood radios. The TS 440s was my first love, then the 450s (in sexy black casing) then the 850s - I believe your 870 replaced it. When i became licenced, and had more disposable income etc I never quite manage to get the radio - I got a Yaesu FT990 and now IC7400 - would still buy a 450 or 850s when I find a nice clean one :lol: - I met that nice Mr Heil chap at Donnington Rally a couple of years ago - great kit you got there btw
G0SLQ website
Animal

RE: Re: RE: What

Post by Animal »

Love the 850S Steve, (with DSP100 of course) in fact any Kenwood - great audio! :D

How do like the George by the way - have you had chance to put it through it's paces yet? :wink:
Rig ~ Tomy Baby Monitor (8 Pill)
Mic ~ Heil Element in a Pot Noodle Cup
Ant ~ Two co-phased coathangers
Power ~ Running off two lemons
Amp ~ Soviet Tetrode driving a flux-capacitor
Rotator ~ Cement mixer motor with dimmer switch
ne181
New User
New User

Post by ne181 »

HI Steve

Back in the olding days the only radio I had was a Midland 4001 until I called into supertech in south shields to price a swr/power matcher.
In there I met a bloke at the counter buying some coax, got talking and ended up at his qth to part x my 4001 against a mint condition ham jumbo and some money of course.
After getting on side bands for the first time and enjoying it I made another trip to Teds and bought a Tristar tripple 7 and an 11m beam. Then back again to buy a 250w linear which I didnt use more than once as next door could here my calls to Germany over the news at ten. Also had three silver rods the last was a high gain with the small ground plane and a 7amp power supply by mr woosh, dont know what happened to them.
Now its a full licence icom7400, Kenwood TS2000, Magnum 257 ,Kenwood THF7E 3 watson 30amp supplies 8mtr mast at bottom of garden with dualband 2mtr/70cm on top with a G5RV fixed also looking at dipoles for 20 and 40 mtr when the sun comes out a bit more. Still have an antron 99 up and do still listen on a night time between 8pm and 9pm on 27.355 mid to the net that gets on there.

Cheers Alan.
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by g0slq »

ne181 wrote:HI Steve

Back in the olding days the only radio I had was a Midland 4001 until I called into supertech in south shields to price a swr/power matcher.
In there I met a bloke at the counter buying some coax, got talking and ended up at his qth to part x my 4001 against a mint condition ham jumbo and some money of course.
After getting on side bands for the first time and enjoying it I made another trip to Teds and bought a Tristar tripple 7 and an 11m beam. Then back again to buy a 250w linear which I didnt use more than once as next door could here my calls to Germany over the news at ten. Also had three silver rods the last was a high gain with the small ground plane and a 7amp power supply by mr woosh, dont know what happened to them.
Now its a full licence icom7400, Kenwood TS2000, Magnum 257 ,Kenwood THF7E 3 watson 30amp supplies 8mtr mast at bottom of garden with dualband 2mtr/70cm on top with a G5RV fixed also looking at dipoles for 20 and 40 mtr when the sun comes out a bit more. Still have an antron 99 up and do still listen on a night time between 8pm and 9pm on 27.355 mid to the net that gets on there.

Cheers Alan.
Hi Alan (we're virtually neighbours)

The good old days, eh. I had a Tristar 777 briefly. Best receiver I ever had. Living in the lofty location of Springwell VIllage, I could receive most of Washington, Sunderland and Gateshead on every channel lol. - I've recently done an inventory of gear and came up with some interesting bits & bobs. Also got an Icom IC7400 & Yaesu FT857 for base & mobile covering all bands from top band to 70cm via 6m - also bought an ALinco DX70 as it was less than ?400 and saved me coming home from a rally with nothing. Have a couple of Kenwood handies, including the same as yours and several 20A+ psu's

Thanks for the info on the net on 27.355 will see if I can hear them (locations?) Just using a Wonder Wand at present as handy for general listening on any band with a whip size antenna working DX with 5w on an indoor whip and counterpoise slung out the window or attached to radiator. A modern take on DV27 & bscuit tin.

http://www.wsplc.com/pages/pdf/wwand.pdf

Animal, still not used the George properly yet, hoing to go out tomorrow as have to break in all new gear, from radio, ant, coax,linear - even the swr meter & extension speaker lol. Weather permitting, co. Durham hills.

Steve
G0SLQ website
jazzsinger
Banned
Banned

Post by jazzsinger »

I miss my mk2 cobra[busted] in eighties and my old A/S MIGHTY MAGNUM 3 what a twig that was.would love ts2000 and pdl2[sadly no longer made]
Banned Account