Albrecht AE485

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

Albrecht AE485

Post by g0slq »

Known as Magnum 257 among others. Ok so far this is the only radio sub-?200 I can find for 10/11m use - any more than this then I may as well buy a Yaesu radio with extended transmit!

Anyone know of any other radios Sub-?200 available and in stock? - looks like I might be ready to go with setup. Until then I can always monitor 555 on amateur rig.
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

Word has it, that you should avoid this rig brand new that has been made ROHS compliant (stupid EU thing where all dangerous substances have been removed out of the manufacturing process - second hand ones are probably ok). And, avoid the Cobra 200GTL-DX like the plague!

Visit Clicky here or Clicky here for further questions. Great forums, and worth checking out.

Heard very good words about the Magum Deltaforce and the Magnum S9. Cobra 148GTL DX variants are still going, as the Superstar SS3900 (and they have a frequency counter output socket).

I run a President George and Astatic Teardrop mic, which is pretty cool. And, get yourself a Tango Mike callsign (if you haven't already)...
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...
Animal

Post by Animal »

Superstar SS-158 EDX (made by Ranger - good quality) if I was buying new, sold by FusionRF (try Google) :D

Alternatively, I've got a Belcom LS 102L (26-30mHz VFO tuning) if you're interested in crossing my palm with silver, lol :lol:

As Mark said, avoid the Cobra 200 GTL-DX like the plague - they're susceptible to many a problem well documented on the forums - caveat emptor as they say in Rome! :shock:

Good Luck :D

Animal :twisted:
Rig ~ Tomy Baby Monitor (8 Pill)
Mic ~ Heil Element in a Pot Noodle Cup
Ant ~ Two co-phased coathangers
Power ~ Running off two lemons
Amp ~ Soviet Tetrode driving a flux-capacitor
Rotator ~ Cement mixer motor with dimmer switch
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by g0slq »

Wow - thanks for the heads up both - a couple of new sites/forums to look at too - a good days work lol.

Can't believe the old 148GTLDX's name would be besmirched like that. Is nothing sacred?

I will probably end up purchasing 2 radios (I tend to do that!).

I got me a 26 TM 026 callsign too - free of charge lol.

Belcom - makes me come out in sweats - yes I expperienced the infamous Liner 2 - (VHF amateur radio - use the word radio in its loosest terms). I trust the 102 is not (too) closely related.

I tried Fusion RF's site yesterday but there was a problem with it. As I told Simon in a PM, it is all new to me - like starting from scratch and not knowing the good from the bad let alone the ugly.

I'm too old for this - feel free to keep me right though.

Steve
ScotchEgg
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM742

Post by ScotchEgg »

Welcome to the Tangomike's ;-)
The legend of the "Scotch Egg".
"unique in my duplicity"

UGLY BOB on SCOTCH EGG... "I kinda had you pictured as the sort who would enjoy beating the bejesus out of people with a four foot dildo."
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by g0slq »

Callum wrote:Welcome to the Tangomike's ;-)
Cheers Callum 8)

Looks like I'm about to start collecting rigs now :shock:

Doubt I'll ever copy into your neck of the woods, but I visit Loch Garten annually if that is withing working distance :wink:

Steve
ScotchEgg
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM742

Post by ScotchEgg »

Actually only 100miles ACF, but thru MANY hills, lol
I have done 70miles but not in that particular direction. Depends what you are running???? lol
The legend of the "Scotch Egg".
"unique in my duplicity"

UGLY BOB on SCOTCH EGG... "I kinda had you pictured as the sort who would enjoy beating the bejesus out of people with a four foot dildo."
jazzsinger
Banned
Banned

Post by jazzsinger »

first choice for sub ?200 radio would be President Jackson[still a few left at Truck king],second choice would be Superstar SS3900.Both very reliable radios!
Banned Account
Transmission1
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM001

Post by Transmission1 »

The last batch of Jackon's that Truck King are selling is the ones that Uniden got made in PRC rather than the Philippines (from 2004 onwards). Same radio but slight production problems in some models. Probably best buying the SS3900.

Cheers
Simon
Simon, 26TM001 - East Yorkshire, UK
Founder of Transmission1 & Tango Mike 26 Division Co-ordinator
http://www.tangomike.net/
Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@transmission1
fez
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fez »

yea its hard to go wrong with a ss3900 I had great days making contacts with mine.
Transmission1
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM001

Post by Transmission1 »

So what are you running now Fez? I'm looking forward to DX Super Sunday!
Simon, 26TM001 - East Yorkshire, UK
Founder of Transmission1 & Tango Mike 26 Division Co-ordinator
http://www.tangomike.net/
Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@transmission1
TimBucknall

Post by TimBucknall »

i can confirm the delta force is a great rig, i got mine 2nd hand for ?179,
i have a RCI2970 which is more powerfull, but i find the deltaforce so much easier to use that i hardly touch the ranger, great receive audio (the ranger sounds muddy with a high noise floor in comparion)
the delta force has a better front end.

if a strong signal in on UK 19 the ranger creates a sproggie on 27.552! aaagh!

theres a new delta force on ebay @?125.
i would have liked a 2nd one for mobile but the auction closes before i'll be cashed up

fusionrf has been down since i got back online, don't suppose anyone saved their catalogue or similar that they could send me? < [email protected]>
ntj
Regular
Regular

Post by ntj »