To My Neighbours.

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
kc
Top Poster
Top Poster

To My Neighbours.

Post by kc »

Among a pile of 1980's CB club membership certificates I found the following letter.
I have altered it slightly but It's very long winded & sod all that typing.

To My Neighbour.
Notice Concerning Alleged TV Interference from this location.

Dear............

You have called to my attention the fact that my transmissions are causing interference to your TV set.
Interference as you describe it, is not caused by CB stations & my station has noting to do with CB.
Be advised that the government is placing a new ?500.00 (per year) tax on all TV viewers in addition to the current licence fee's.
And due to a European ruling it is not possible to use the TV licencing data base so a network of TV jamming stations has been established with the hope that TV set owners will make themselves known. So that their names can be added to the new data base.
Your government greatly appreciates you turning yourself in & is pleased to add your name to the new data base.
They also wish to thank you for informing us of how well it is working.
So that you will not be the only one taxed we hope you will be patient as we continue our jamming operations.

Yours

B Bloggs.

Senior Engineer TV Taxation Dept.
So I passed this test that allows me to twiddle with knobs, push buttons & call my self an Advanced !!!!!!!
M0LSX
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

LMAO!! Love it!!

That's a classic, well worded with a sarcastic and black humour :lol:

We have had jobsworth neighbours complain about TVI, when all it has basically been down to is that they have a dodgy TV aerial, TV, or coax cable. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that modern day TV's are better filtered towards spurious RFI.

I remember in a recent radio magazine reading about a Radio Ham that had the police called out to them. All because the elderly neighbour was convinced that the guy's 2m Yagi was a "Death Ray" and was out to target her (she went into the garden, and the antenna changed direction via a rotator at the time) :roll:

I kid you not...

What was the outcome of this letter that you created KC?
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...
kc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by kc »

This was among a pile of DX, QSL club stuff from the 80's & I would guess it was something sent to me as part of a QSL package.
So I passed this test that allows me to twiddle with knobs, push buttons & call my self an Advanced !!!!!!!
M0LSX
roadwarrior
Regular
Regular

Post by roadwarrior »

Very useful letter will keep it for future reference HE HE !!

You wouldn't by any chance have one to send to neighbours with EL CHEAPO low voltage lights, TV's that radiate S**T all over the HF bands , ETC . WE have no protection from them do WE so why should they have reason to complain and have somehting done about it .
Anyone else got the same problems ie ; S9 of noise on most HF bands until they are all asleep .
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

roadwarrior wrote:Anyone else got the same problems ie ; S9 of noise on most HF bands until they are all asleep .
Oh yes, too frequently. Worse on my DX-394 I used to own. It had bad shielding compared to my Icom. There was that much of a noise reduction that for a couple of days I was under the firm belief that my Icom was deaf : shock :

At least I have the pleasure of IF Shift and Notch on my Icom R71E, and a DSP external speaker. Out of all the things, the Sky Box is the worst culprit. I have shoved some ferrites on the downlead from dish to receiver which has helped a bit. Had a week off work once and tuned around at stupid o'clock and picked up all sorts of things usually invisible during sociable hours (e.g. a radio ham from the Cocos Islands on 40m).

I even have it plague VHF frequencies too :(

I think a wee bit of TVI to the neighbours is a fair trade off for that S9 hash from their plasma screen TV, don't you think?

Word has it that radio hams don't have a leg to stand on with such a matter like this, yet it's okay for the neighbours to read the riot act if Eastenders is spoilt by a bit of TVI for example.
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...