5/8 wave venom type silver rod improvements ?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

5/8 wave venom type silver rod improvements ?

Post by original45 » 16 May 2019, 19:46

Well I was told they were crap but wombled one recently to test against the antron.
Oh yes for anyone who said I told you so I totally agree.

Spent half hour cleaning swarfs and rough edges for tube ends and closing slots.

Couple of observations ,water ingress I wonder if I can set all sections one at a time to where their marked and securely tape them up first then secure with the hose clips ?
Obviously I shall leave top one free to swr then tape n clip as others.

Most importantly I know these are so thin on tubing and I remember reading stick bamboo canes in ,I presume this is in the base section to stop it bending and damaging where It comes out of the mounting bracket.

Any other advices or little improvements anyone has used that I can trial .
Thank you in advance

Just to add please, the screw at the bottom on base tube that seems to secure it ,can I remove this to copper grease .
And will it be best to silicon seal or not the base of bottom tube to stop water congress or is this going to trap water that may get in their .

Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Re: 5/8 wave venom type silver rod improvements ?

Post by Mudslinger » 16 May 2019, 20:35

You could try larger groundplanes.

Whilst I would expect a slight improvement over the Antron, they don't work as good as the Sirio ones. We did a few checks between an Older A99 which had been well used, the 5/8 "Venom" and the sirio GPE. The Sirio was best by a decent margin. When SWR'd in the venom was roughly the same length as the A99, which shows to me that the Venom is a pretty poor design.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.

ch25
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 » 16 May 2019, 21:01

No need to tape it. Just drill small hole in the bottom to drain water.
You can't have too many antennas...

original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 » 17 May 2019, 15:44

Cheers guys .

Yes Simon I would imagine the sirio far superior however this may make a suitable up hill top antenna and I'm interested to see if any improvements noted over antron which in fair is at present stonking .

This model isn't the high gain 3radial model but I may try radials .

Chris, the drain hole idea is a good one. I removed base tube screw and pulled off tube .
It already had moisture inside and debris of swarfs and leaves .one thing I noted was the screw if longer could go straight through and out of the other side if I drilled the base tube on opposite side .
I imagine if I add a longer bolt and two of those grip washers one either side and a nut their must be some benefit to a contact in two points of the radiating vertical to the centre rather than one.
I shall also use copper grease as its conductive and will help protect against rust corrosion and its conductive also on this bolt .

Shall keep my eyes open for some suitable alloy tubes for radials.

I presume grounding or earthing this type of antenna is important too.

robber57
Regular
Regular

Post by robber57 » 18 May 2019, 08:06

You could spray the whole thing in Tectyl ML clear, or even the brown stuff although that tacky and becomes quickly very dirty, the clear ml dries up in a day or so and doesnt stay sticky.

The sirio gpe is a better product, it has a real coil in stead of a piece of pcb acting as a coil, it has a option for (small) radials and uses just a little bit better materials and is still cheap, not as cheap as venom, i think i once saw these at €19,95 , the gpe without radial i think at €40-50 is a much better deal.

108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 » 18 May 2019, 18:35

ch25 mentions above,"not to tape it" for water ingress = its a silver rod so you should tape each join with electrical tape,this way none of the sections will slip inside the lower one below,as it is only held with a cheap jubilee clip.

I usually tape at least 2 inch/50mm/5cm above and below each of the joins on any homebase antenna,better safe than sorry eh.......especially when the half decent antennas are over £100 +.

White electrical tape blends in with ali/fibreglass ............. black doesn't ;)
You can pay the government to dx with rules,
Or you can talk worldwide on CB radio instead,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Freebanders happen to know otherwise = test free.

27.555 USB

original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 » 18 May 2019, 20:12

Will buy a roll of white elec tape . I would tape regardless myself and feel it fine to put jubilee clips ott of tape as it seems the only sensible way to seal joints from water.
But in all honestly it won't be my main base antenna as I still want something far better.

But I like to fettle and try to make things a little better if at all possible so welcome all ideas thoughts and advices to get the best from this cheapo and if it can help someone else in future all the better

108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 » 18 May 2019, 21:28

^^ An 827 wont disappoint ;) ^^

If you want a vertical homebase cb antenna to work better = put it higher up = more add ons mean more wind surface = more stress on supporting pole.
You can pay the government to dx with rules,
Or you can talk worldwide on CB radio instead,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Freebanders happen to know otherwise = test free.

27.555 USB

original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 » 19 May 2019, 10:27

Initially I discounted the 827 due to its radials but after a mounting pole jiggle it is top of my list now as I can now accommodate them .
I still want to try a imax but the 827 by all accounts is dam good.

Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger » 19 May 2019, 14:08

The 827 should work better than an Imax.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

ch25
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ch25 » 19 May 2019, 15:27

1111.jpg
Biggest improvement for that type of antennas is to get rid of clamps and use inox screws like on the picture.
Photo taken from old 30m GP :)
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger » 19 May 2019, 15:45

ch25 wrote:
19 May 2019, 15:27
1111.jpg
Biggest improvement for that type of antennas is to get rid of clamps and use inox screws like on the picture.
Photo taken from old 30m GP :)
Chris
I think if you did that to a newer one the screw holes would weaken the metal enough for it to bend over at the slightest breeze...
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

ch25
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ch25 » 19 May 2019, 16:17

I doubt. 1mm wall is stiff enough.
In my neighbourhood there is old Sirtel Super 12, over 25 years up, still working as in the day we put in on mast.

original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 » 19 May 2019, 17:28

For sure the alloy tube is dam thin and I too suspect it may not be too strong with bolts alone although in conjunction with jubilee also maybe a good idea .
I believe this one is made under the thunderpole brand .

. I have a v old gap 5/8 tube set missing mount to it.I believe top sections screw together but bottom was jubilee.

Havnt measured tubes to see if base is same or not but could be possible donor for project.

So far it's cleaned, debured , base bolt now goes straight through with washers n nut for a double contact to lower tube from centre.
Will look at stainless bolts x2for each section pluss the existing junilee .

Trying to wombled some plastic overflow water pipe too to line base tube with to strengthen It at least a couple feet up maybe more as I remember my first in 80s bending above top of mounting bracket.?
As mentioned on other posts bamboo may be best though.

Has anyone ever successfully added radials to the 5/8 that didn't originally come with it and what was exact lengths used and quantity ?3 or 4??..

Thank you again

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector » 19 May 2019, 19:01

108EH002 wrote:
18 May 2019, 18:35
ch25 mentions above,"not to tape it" for water ingress = its a silver rod so you should tape each join with electrical tape,this way none of the sections will slip inside the lower one below,as it is only held with a cheap jubilee clip.

I usually tape at least 2 inch/50mm/5cm above and below each of the joins on any homebase antenna,better safe than sorry eh.......especially when the half decent antennas are over £100 +.

White electrical tape blends in with ali/fibreglass ............. black doesn't ;)

Electrical tape will lose its stickiness and unfurl after a year or so. Use self-amalgamating tape which will seal against moisture, resist the elements better in general and shouldn't peel.

Never seen it in anything other than black though ;)