president himalaya wb antenna

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
mrpsychopath
Call Sign: 108tm1313

Re: president himalaya wb antenna

Post by mrpsychopath »

Got woodland at rear of my house then open country. Not many places to guy antenna without interfering with phone and power lines at rear of house.
Kill em all and let god sort them out.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

You sound like you don't want to improve :)
I guyed antennas on 5m fishing boat, your garden must be bigger than that.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

I would swap the A99 for an Imax. Much better antenna that is also robust.

I wouldn't have expected a 1/2 wave fibreglass antenna to work much different to another 1/2 wave fibreglass, unless one if faulty.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
mrpsychopath

Post by mrpsychopath »

Keeping the a99, the himalaya was 2nd antenna.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

mrpsychopath wrote:Might just be a bad antenna drew, but not what i was expecting from others results.i had thought it was because it was closer to house and couple of feet lower than the a99. But changed them round, now its higher and further away and still getting walked all over by a99. Might just be a bad antenna, i have tried new coax and plugs, new meter, still same swr wise but the low ouptut thing is strange too. Have never seen that before. Test with 7 radios yesterday says something is not right. All far out, low signals are gone on himalaya, plug in a99 too same radio they jump straight in with a low signal and readable audio.
Aye, it's strange how some folk are saying how good they are compared to other antennas, both of which we already have up. I would have expected it to be close to your A99 but to be so far down is odd to me. I hear what CH25 is saying but signals that are S5 on the A99 and not being heard on the Himalaya are a considerable difference and while we're not talking about properly calibrated meters, that's a decent number of db's down on the A99.

I'll soon find out if mine is a duffer too as hoping to swap them over in the next couple of weeks.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

No guy lines, wind resistant so maybe http://www.a1antennas.com/ ?
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Post by Tim »

If you can't guy an antenna due to the proximity of telephone and power lines then that also means that you can't erect an antenna in the proximity of. There are practical and Legal restrictions on the erection of and distance from such lines, especially power lines which has also to be considered.
mrpsychopath

Post by mrpsychopath »

Not when poles in garden are feeding my house and neighbours. My antennas miss the lines and my coax in under the cables. If i guyed the ali antenna to stop it breaking. I would need something high above the lines to guy it too. Which there is only house at one side.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Why are you guying it high? They usually go down to the ground at say 30-45degrees.
mrpsychopath

Post by mrpsychopath »

I am not guying it, i would have to if i used and ali antenna, i have 2 fibreglass antennas up that dont need guyed, one does however need ramming up mr president cb,s crap pile. The more i try to use it the more it makes me rant. Cant guy lower as i have 2 telephone cables and a power feed at about 12,13 feet above ground level in my garden and the poles holding them on the boundry.
AShockwav
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: KE6LYU

Post by AShockwav »

ch25 wrote: 29 Oct 2017, 18:19 No guy lines, wind resistant so maybe http://www.a1antennas.com/ ?
The problem with the I-10K antenna is getting Jay or Steve to build you one. They are extremely well built, mine has survived High winds, Ice and Snow here in the High Sierra, but I got it long ago when they were building them regularly. I have not heard of them building any for years now.
They are not any magic antenna by any means, simply a 5/8ths wave ground plane with very robust construction.

Jeff
mrpsychopath

Post by mrpsychopath »

Himalaya sent back replaced with i2000 and its working a lot better.
steepeljack69
Call Sign: 26SF333

Post by steepeljack69 »

I have had every vertical going,Antron was just a Static Stick!my Hymalia WB beats all other verticals I have had.mine is only 5ft off the ground and I live really low down with hills to 3 sides.Had a Gainmaster up could just hear my mate ,swapped it same place for a IMAX,yes bit better but the Hymalia was best out of lot,and I can tune it for most of the Ham bands.Even stuff that gets 5/5 on Eham always has someone who says it’s only 1/5!All I know is my Hymalia is best antenna I have had,others disagree but that’s what makes TM1 best forum to discuss.
mrpsychopath

Post by mrpsychopath »

Yep it does, i cant fault the himalaya for coverage i had good swr from 25 to 30 but the bad meter reading and being totally deaf to all but the stronger signals. I 2000 picks ip more static than a99. But better than president.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

mrpsychopath wrote: 19 Nov 2017, 10:01 Yep it does, i cant fault the himalaya for coverage i had good swr from 25 to 30 but the bad meter reading and being totally deaf to all but the stronger signals. I 2000 picks ip more static than a99. But better than president.
I still haven't got round to swapping mine over. It's just such a bugger to get down and swap over. I may try and put something together as a temporary measure to compare them side by side before swapping them out. I'm not hopeful mind you.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think: