Folkestone, Kent, Shopwatch

Scanning radio frequencies for the South East
marshphantom
Regular
Regular

Folkestone, Kent, Shopwatch

Post by marshphantom »

Sounds encrypted, not heard a encrypted shopwatch scheme,

i can nearly make out some of the words being said, i can make out wether the op is male or female, and there is a chirp at the end of each over.

anyone know what kind of encryption this is or is it trunked, can i beat it? and how.

youtube video of the signal, sorry for it being a video of a video but my laptop would not allow me to up load the video from my phone so i have done it this way,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rip3tP5PZE0
Ed
Marsh Phantom
26-TM-1986 - 26-CT-112
mikecharlie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Folkestone, Kent, Shopwatch

Post by mikecharlie »

Hi

It sounds like it may be simple inversion scrambling, which can be easily beaten on numerous alinco scanners, a yupi 9000, or a free downloadble computer program ( sorry, cant remember the name)

THat 'chirp' is just the roger bleep or the ID / selective call bleep.

Its not MASC encryption anyone, is it ?

I've never personally, heard speech inversion descrambling by the way.
Radio, wall of sound, coming up from my tower...
Radio, wall of sound, 24 hours of power...........!!!
marshphantom
Regular
Regular

Post by marshphantom »

masc was the first thing that came to my mind,

it seems that both my local major towns are using the old analogue police repeater sites for shopwatch as i can open the repeater with a h/held from 15-20miles away (im responsable enough not to talk, just a quick key and relese to open the repeater, this is not line of sight either its got a whoping great hill in the way.

anyway.

thought as much for the chirp at the start/end of the over.

cheers for the info there mikecharlie.

if anyone has more info on the free software i would be over the moon.
Ed
Marsh Phantom
26-TM-1986 - 26-CT-112
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

It just sounds like simple inversion with a roger beep at the end to me. MASC as far as I know has a clicking sound as the inversion point changes, and a data burst at the start like this;

http://seussbeta.tripod.com/rolling.wav
marshphantom
Regular
Regular

Post by marshphantom »

i will have a go at finding the software, or buy the yupi lol

cheers
Ed
Marsh Phantom
26-TM-1986 - 26-CT-112
mikecharlie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by mikecharlie »

Hi

Its definatelly not MASC (Marconi Advanced Scramble Encryption) I think it stands for?, as BK is right, has consistent clicks as the inversion changes from a sound sample from somewhere.( much harder to crack open)
The Alinco DJ-X3 (Ive got one, but hate it) will do the job, it has 16 different scramble codes on it.

Dont know why users still think their message encryption is secure when they use simple inversion scrambling!!!!
mikecharlie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by mikecharlie »

Hey, marshphantom

Ive just found on my PC lurking in a folder a voice descrambler I mustve downloaded ages ago but I've never used.(Never recieved any scrambled Tx's)

Its by IZ8 BLY, Nino Porcino, Voice descrambler, extremely simple to use, I think you just plug the audio in to the sound card and race through the scrambling frequency range ( up to 22000 Hz) untill the speech is clear.
Just type the info into google to find it, and download and install it!!!
Go on, Go on, Go on, I'd like to know if it worked for you !!!!!! :D
marshphantom
Regular
Regular

Post by marshphantom »

hi mikecharlie,

cheers for the info there, just searching for it now, im back in the midlands now till thursday so i will update you on friday when i get back to kent again.

i will let you know how i get on, cheers again
Ed
Marsh Phantom
26-TM-1986 - 26-CT-112
marshphantom
Regular
Regular

Post by marshphantom »

scrub that,

the modern tech of phones, just pluged the audio out socket on my phone into the laptop and it worked.

i have decoded it (from the recording on my phone), the readout says 6800, and it is two pcso's talking about a missing person.

just have to wait till thursday now when i can listen to a bit more than a 30 second recording lol

cheers mikecharlie and others for the help :D :D :D
Ed
Marsh Phantom
26-TM-1986 - 26-CT-112
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

That style of voice inversion scrambling can be found on the Puxing PX777+

The very same ones that I own and reviewed for here. Mine would be able to make sense of that conversation, if I was in your area and received them.
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...
marshphantom
Regular
Regular

Post by marshphantom »

Panteneman wrote:That style of voice inversion scrambling can be found on the Puxing PX777+

The very same ones that I own and reviewed for here. Mine would be able to make sense of that conversation, if I was in your area and received them.
how would you go about finding the correct code pantenman, is it just a case of turning a dial while the shopwatch repeater is tx'in so you flick through all the inversion settings on the puxing till you get the right one?

or is it a bit more in depth
Ed
Marsh Phantom
26-TM-1986 - 26-CT-112
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

marshphantom wrote:how would you go about finding the correct code pantenman, is it just a case of turning a dial while the shopwatch repeater is tx'in so you flick through all the inversion settings on the puxing till you get the right one?
I'm reminded of bigbloke's review of the Wouxun KG-801
http://www.transmission1.co.uk/forum/vi ... =44&t=7922
Well.. sorry to disappoint you !!! they've T O T A L L Y missed a trick! VERY DISSAPOINTED WOUXUN!!!

Two of the eight frequencies "just about" work with the 777+ and one with the LT3260 as long as the user doesn't have too high pitched a voice

None - thats right **NONE** of the eight frequencies interwork with the legacy KG669 / 689 - this is a major cockup if you own a fleet of their older radios.

One frequency "Just about" works with the cobra 900 if the user has a deep voice. But my 3 year old is unintelligible using it

Interoperability was CLEARLY never a consideration! which in the low cost market is perhaps a major gaffe!
So clearly its possible to have a choice of several inversion points on your radio and still not have the right one, although a nearby point sort of works sometimes.
AlfieDivine1
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26CT2369

Post by AlfieDivine1 »

Marshphantom would you happen to know of any Taxi frequency's for Folkestone, I live next to Channel cars and i seen there antenna around the back of there office any idea