Scanning in KENT area! - Where's ALL the action all gone?

Scanning radio frequencies for the South East
M3ZZN

Re: Scanning in KENT area! - Where's ALL the action all gone

Post by M3ZZN »

well i used to live in medway and i listened to them was quite interesting as i agree with all what you said we should be like the yanks and be able to know where our money goes we should be able to listen to what we want ive listened to alot of stuf on a scanner over the past 20 years and heard alot of good stuff but ive never acted on it kpet it all to myself apart from my dad lol but i think its wrong to stop us the public from listening in on the main things like police but if you think about it the local scum would use it so they can avoid being caught by the police and be that 1 step ahead
the fire brigade was good listening in kent and here in essex but all gone now
your right we should be able to listen in on the main stuff and i think we should be able to listen to stuff like mi6 etc as well ive picked up covert survielence a few times was quite interesting listening and its still on analogue around the 173 area
Minus1
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Minus1 »

kent detective wrote: QUESTION -

Why does OUR own law enforcement bodies get so damn worried about allowing citizens to hear what they are up to when most of the rest of the civilised world is allowing such practices to go on?
Because the powers that be still have the paranoid mentality of World War 2 and the Cold War {bnghd}

Having spent millions on encrypted radios, they then spend more money asking the public for help on Twitter and Facebook :roll:

They can't accept that a police force is paid for, and serves the public, and should therefore be fully accountable to it.

But let's not forget that TETRA is in use across Europe (using the same frequencies), so it's not just us, the EU had a big hand in this.

P.S. Fire UHF is still analog. So somebody still has a grip…
KEY : = channel/stud | ~ = CTCSS/DCS | ^ = transmitter site | ¯ = overhead | * = trunked
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

mikecharlie wrote:As far as I know, there are measures against to try to log onto the system, as a already authorized , duplicated / cloned unit. (ghost unit etc...)

If you scan from 380 to 400 ish I think it is, youll hear the constant 12.5 Kkz spaced signal being used by the network.

Nothing can can prevent the signals ' leaking out' to be recieved by anything,, anytwhere, including a scanner, you can do that already, youre listening to that awful, harsh sounding digital signal .

I suppose then , that somehow, the voice messages are in that signal, it just need to be extracted somehow.....

....... and according to what has been openly published, an off air monitor is capable of doing just that, intercepting the signal ' off air i.e. it doesnt need to log on to the system' and extracting the voice comms.

Surely there must there will be government Depts who might want to ckeck what PC Plod is doing time to time, and theyll want to be invisible to the controll room , the above equiptment is ideal for that purpose.
I just had a thought, although it may not work or may have been tried already, but suppose if somebody made some software to somehow encode the noise from a regular scanner on 380 to 430 maybe it can be done.
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

Nah coming to think about it, it won't work but maybe something along those lines using another device plugged into a computer...

I've seen police using Mototrbo radio's occasionally...
Windy_Miller
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Windy_Miller »

kent detective wrote:I say open up the UK radio spectrum to us ALL, that way we could see the real picture instead of having to rely upon bogus facts and figures carefully prepared (doctored) and then given to us by Chief Constables...
Top notch idea. Open up all the spectrum to old fashioned analogue modes and get rid of all this secretive digital crap.

Then, your teenage daughter will be able to tell everyone in a 5 mile radius, not just her best mate, on her analogue mobile phone, which route, and when she will take to meet up with her, and which of her favourite short skirts in her wardrobe she will be wearing.

Your wife will be able to share with everyone around, via the powers of analogue cordless phones, her credit card details when she buys something off the shopping channels.

And a spotty kid in San Diego will be able to hack into everything you do online due to the complete lack of security you keep. Mind you, even the local spotty kids could do it, as your wifi will of course be completely open!

If you do not like the thought of anyone listening into your daughter or your wife's conversations, why would you think the police would be happy with you listening into theirs?
JonC
Regular
Regular

Post by JonC »

And the great thing is that the what the Police are generally talking about is the public, so when they PNC check your car we all get to listen, we all get to listen in on your grandparents details when a concerned neighbour calls, all the local crims can find out that Fred down the road is a licensed to hold firearms, etc.
Minus1
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Minus1 »

TETRA originated from the EU, that's why most EU countries have exactly the same frequency bands. The paranoia of control freaks will keep it encrypted, unless we quit the EU, or unless somebody works out how much this mostly unnecessary security is costing. MI5 might need some encryption, the local booby arresting a few drunks does not.

I find it very ironic that having gone to encrypted comms so the press and public don't know what it going on, police forces now go out of their way to tell people some things on Twitter & Facebook. They cannot conceive of how open comms could help the police work work with the public.

The fire brigade are still on FM in many areas for handheld comms, as are others with more sense than public money.
KEY : = channel/stud | ~ = CTCSS/DCS | ^ = transmitter site | ¯ = overhead | * = trunked