Scanning radio frequencies for Scotland
scottyboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Scottish digital

Post by scottyboy »

Has anyone ever heard of this company?
http://www.scottish.digital/

And anyone in central Scotland, Edinburgh or fife area who has an interest in tetra got any knowledge on there proposed set up?
I'm not convinced this is a legit company.
2M0SRM

Quansheng tg-uv2
yaesu FT-7900E
Motorola DP3600 UHF + VHF
MTH800
MTP850s
SRH3800
CM-9000
MTM5400
stratocaster
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Scottish digital

Post by stratocaster »

I'd check out the licence with ofcom first, just to make sure. If it is genuine, then I see it's DMO mode TETRA, smashing, I'll be able to put my new acqisition in my "radio rack" to the test once I have figured it out! :) I wonder though, who will migrate to this new network?
You can never have enough radios!
GlasgowSnapper
Call Sign: 2M0FRA

Post by GlasgowSnapper »

Interesting. If it is genuine, I wonder if we're likely to see more of this sort of thing as the Blue Light services migrate onto their new, 4G based "ESN".

Presumably Motorola, the current owner of the Airwave network, will want to open it up to civilian use, in order to keep making money form it once the Blue Light business stops.
2M0FRA
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G7HID

Post by Metradio »

Think you will find it is TMO TETRA not DMO...

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
morgan306
Regular
Regular

Post by morgan306 »

The number goes through to a voicemail. It does say they have a DMR system active in that area currently but WTR is buggering about so I can't check.
stratocaster
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by stratocaster »

Ahhh, I thought it was DMO! Misread it...oops! :oops:
You can never have enough radios!
scottyboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by scottyboy »

There is very little information about this company and that's what makes me suspicious
But why would anyone go to the trouble of setting up a website about it and phone numbers with voicemails about an existing DMR network etc?
Suppose only time will tell.
2M0SRM

Quansheng tg-uv2
yaesu FT-7900E
MTH800
MTP850s
SRH3800
CM-9000
MTM5400
jhampton2000

Post by jhampton2000 »

scottyboy wrote:But why would anyone go to the trouble of setting up a website about it and phone numbers with voicemails about an existing DMR network etc?
Perhaps they are trying to gauge business demand, before they make the leap to invest in anything beyond their current test site...having a DMR system allows them to meet any immediate demand, and possibly move these customers onto TETRA if/when it ever materialises?

The other possibility is that they are using DMR in the widest possible form, not meaning the MotoTRBO type format, but anything that's digital and a radio. Believe it or not, i have actually heard some people in the comms market refer to DMR when they actually do mean TETRA.
scottyboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by scottyboy »

The photo on the website of the test site does not match the location given, I know the area a little and my girlfriend is from there originally and has family still there, 1 being a HAM also, who has had a look about with no success. the suggested final coverage is on my doorstep so will be keeping an ear out for any new tetra base stations popping up on the scanner.
2M0SRM

Quansheng tg-uv2
yaesu FT-7900E
MTH800
MTP850s
SRH3800
CM-9000
MTM5400
scottyboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by scottyboy »

GlasgowSnapper wrote:Interesting. If it is genuine, I wonder if we're likely to see more of this sort of thing as the Blue Light services migrate onto their new, 4G based "ESN".

Presumably Motorola, the current owner of the Airwave network, will want to open it up to civilian use, in order to keep making money form it once the Blue Light business stops.
As far as I know or at least been told, Airwave will cease once the changeover has taken place.
2M0SRM

Quansheng tg-uv2
yaesu FT-7900E
MTH800
MTP850s
SRH3800
CM-9000
MTM5400