Glasgow city center Shopwatch Digital

Scanning radio frequencies for Scotland
scottyboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Glasgow city center Shopwatch Digital

Post by scottyboy »

I have had activity on that channel 2 within the last hour so it is active.
most licences on the Ofcom site just say the frequency, but some newer ones that are digital state CC under the frequency, not all do it, and some older ones that have upgraded to digital don't change the licence so it may be an old licence number but it is a digital setup.
2M0SRM

Quansheng tg-uv2
yaesu FT-7900E
Motorola DP3600 UHF + VHF
MTH800
MTP850s
SRH3800
CM-9000
MTM5400
rob12770
Banned
Banned

Post by rob12770 »

billybigears
Regular
Regular

Post by billybigears »

Hi all I'm new to the scanning I recently bought a ubc355 clt am I able to get these frequency as the numbers show is only six digit and not seven any help and information would be much appreciated live in glasgow
scottyboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by scottyboy »

Ive just checked the spec of your scanner and it does 12.5khz steps so should tune to the frequencies listed, but most shopwatch systems are digital so you will not get any voice from the digital ones, just noise like a jack hammer.
But there is still quite abit of analog traffic so you should be able to pick up some stuff.
Scan between 440.000 and 460.000 should pick up some stuff.
Look at different topics in this section for anything that may be mentioned near you etc.
2M0SRM

Quansheng tg-uv2
yaesu FT-7900E
Motorola DP3600 UHF + VHF
MTH800
MTP850s
SRH3800
CM-9000
MTM5400
billybigears
Regular
Regular

Post by billybigears »

Thanks scottyboy for your info had a scanner years ago was brilliant then. I've read alot of people talking about digital can you buy a digital scanner or how does it work??? Or what do i need lol cheers
rob12770
Banned
Banned

Post by rob12770 »

billybigears wrote:Thanks scottyboy for your info had a scanner years ago was brilliant then. I've read alot of people talking about digital can you buy a digital scanner or how does it work??? Or what do i need lol cheers
NO, you cant buy a digital scanner.. google discriminator tap for your scanner model, its a mod to output unfiltered audio via a jack plug you install, that is then fed into a pc line in, you then use dsdplus software to decode digital( as long as its not encrypted)

OR buy an rtl dvb dongle for £8 .. read here http://www.rtl-sdr.com/about-rtl-sdr/
cheers rob
billybigears
Regular
Regular

Post by billybigears »

Waw rob been reading up on this and I'm totally getting hooked on the dongle set up I wish I done my research before I bought this @£86 lol thanks for your info. Is this setup pretty straight forward once I have the sdr donngle?
rob12770
Banned
Banned

Post by rob12770 »

no probs billy, you can always sell your scanner if need be :)
billybigears
Regular
Regular

Post by billybigears »

What would be best for me rob had a we read about discriminator to be honest im lost :) do you know of anywhere in glasgow that can fit a discriminator? Or where I can trade this one in only a week old what to hear more than I do lol any info much appreciated
rob12770
Banned
Banned

Post by rob12770 »

billybigears wrote:What would be best for me rob had a we read about discriminator to be honest im lost :) do you know of anywhere in glasgow that can fit a discriminator? Or where I can trade this one in only a week old what to hear more than I do lol any info much appreciated
its really easy mate, especially for your scanner. theres a wee hole that goes to pin 11 of the NJM2552 receiver IC chip , solder a a 10k mini resitor in there then a wire from the resistor to a mono headphone jack you would drill a hole in the back of the scanner and fit it in there, the ground will come from the chassis so no need for 2nd wire in this case,
this will give you unfiltered audio from the chip, which is what the decoding software on your PCneeds
you then just run a regular audio cable from said headphone jack to the line in or mic in to your pc and decode the digital signals with DSDPlus software.
cheers rob
heres the link for your scanner http://www.discriminator.nl/ubc355clt/index-en.html
Last edited by rob12770 on 29 Nov 2014, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
rob12770
Banned
Banned

Post by rob12770 »

or.... you could return it for a refund ???
billybigears
Regular
Regular

Post by billybigears »

Cheers rob for getting back to me mate reading what you said was lost but once a seen the link makes sense but never soldiered in my life ha lol and not technical at all would love to try and do it so its just a case of like speaker wire? Soldering on the back of the jack plug and same with the pin11 then download software and bobs your uncle. Dont think I could return it as bought online more hassle than its worth and nothing wrong with it if i could do it what else could I buy save me attempting the above where I can hit the ground running :) cheers
rob12770
Banned
Banned

Post by rob12770 »

billybigears wrote: if i could do it what else could I buy save me attempting the above where I can hit the ground running :) cheers
sorry m8 waddya mean ?
billybigears
Regular
Regular

Post by billybigears »

Lol sorry its me when you say solder is it just a case from pin 11 to the mono thing thats on my scanner and do I use speaker wire? I've just emailed the company I bought it from to see if I could return as doesn't have frequency that I require so hopefully they will take it back but not sure as I've used it lol if they do can you recommend a scanner I could buy? Cheers billy
rob12770
Banned
Banned

Post by rob12770 »

yea any wire m8.. reccomend a scanner ? naw.. stick with the dongle .. its much more versitile imo..and cost muuuuuch less..