Anyone know the current Northern Ireland St John Ambulance & British Red Cross Frequencies

Scanning radio frequencies for Northern Ireland
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: Anyone know the current Northern Ireland St John Ambulance & British Red Cross Frequencies

Post by Admiral »

There's a slight contradiction in earlier posts to the essay post, earlier you wanted to attach an external aerial to get a greater receiving range on the 380, now you just want it for legit purposes. You were also programming the 380 yourself in the 1st post, now someone else is programming it.

It's still none of my business, you can do what the heck you want at your own risk.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Medic1
Regular
Regular

Re: Anyone know the current Northern Ireland St John Ambulance & British Red Cross Frequencies

Post by Medic1 »

Admiral wrote:There's a slight contradiction in earlier posts to the essay post, earlier you wanted to attach an external aerial to get a greater receiving range on the 380, now you just want it for legit purposes. You were also programming the 380 yourself in the 1st post, now someone else is programming it.

It's still none of my business, you can do what the heck you want at your own risk.

Hi Admiral,

Yes, as stated before I did not make other post(s) clear. It ws always for legit purposes however due to lack of knowledge in this area I assumed it would be something I could do myself, however since the initial posts I have established there is a lot more to it. Radio (GP380) has been sent yesterday for programing (let he expets do it :thumbup: ). I had thought that we could attach an external (portable aerial) to something to give us better range whilst providing cover at events.

The GP380 will only be used for work purposes and I will stick to the few scanners I have for my hobby. Looking forward to starting the foundation course- hopefully learn more about amatuer radio communications.

I have also been reading quite a bit on the forums and that has put a lot of things into context for me, the do's and don'ts when using radio communications.

Only starting out, still a long way to go and a lot of learning to do, but best to do it by the book to keep things right :thumbup:
bigboyblue
Regular
Regular

Post by bigboyblue »

Make sure you have got something in writing for the frequencies in use, knowing what some st John radio people are like, they will get all pissy about a 'non member' having access to their frequencies.

I am sure some of their stuff is on 'uk simple' freqs, so they cant stop you, as long as you have a 'uk simple' licence., but anything that is licensed to them, or that they use (seem to remember some are mil freqs ?), you have it in writing from them that you are allowed to use.

We have an event client that did just this, and they got VERY pissy about it.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

Understandable, and of course, your license prevents you from discussing anything you hear. Being able to do something doesn't mean you should? It also causes problems with callsigns - St John are required by their license to use callsigns, so are light class business users - I have no idea how the license terms would work with two callsign types on the same channel, talking to each other. The other thing, of course, is St John don't wish to talk to non-St John people during their duties. Emergency use would be an obvious exception, but not anything else.

Yesterday Lowestoft was in chaos traffic wise - we have a split town, with two rail crossings and two river crossings, and traffic was at a standstill. One of the bridges has a lock next to it, and my radio in the van is handy for knowing which way to go. A ambulance, with blue lights overtook the queue I was in heading for the lock bridge, and then the lock radio chirped up on 73, talking to the railway bridge next door. He announced that he'd be opening once the train had passed, and the lock said they'd lift at the same time. They were unaware of the ambulance squeezing past the traffic heading for the crossing. With the railway bridge opening, that was one main road blocked and the only other access would be disrupted if the road bridge lifted.

I have a suppliers license that covers me for marine - and I could simply have pressed the button and told them, but I don't have a license to talk to other users on Marine band - that needs a different license which I don't have. So although I can press the PTT button, I cannot speak - and didn't!
bigboyblue
Regular
Regular

Post by bigboyblue »

well, reading posts over at the Motorola support group, this seems to of got a lot more interesting.

This time, he's trying to get a free copy of software as most of their 'stuff has been stolen'.

Something is not right here.
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thelad »

Moving on now hes got no joy here, like he did when he posted on the Uk scanning forum.
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

I wonder what the 'day job' is? Shelf stacker and designated first-aider at Wal-Mart?

Too many contradictions for me, just lay your cards on the table.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Well, Keith has stated a few things on this public profile here

Interests
  • Pre Hospital Emergency Care
    Teaching
    Radio Communications
    Cooking
Occupation
  • IHCD Ambulance TECH
    First Aid Trainer & Assessor
So he's in the right ball park
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

I've met a couple of the 1st responders in the real world, no disrespect to this guy, but the two I came across were useless, but the NHS stats said that they got someone on the scene within 6 minutes, great, but both times a bus driver or car mechanic wasn't any use.

One of them administered oxygen, or tried to, but his tank was empty, and the other managed to tread on the casualties hand and break two fingers which was noted on the post-mortem, a post-mortem was required because the situation needed a hi-tech ambulance with professional paramedics rather than a well intentioned chap in his Honda Civic with a bag of bandages.

Wildly OT, so I would suggest the OP joins the St. Johns and then all comms will be above board.
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thelad »

Bet he has a Raynet HiViz.
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
Dazza
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 68TM525

Post by Dazza »

Medic1 wrote:
bigboyblue wrote:I mean comreg. Not eircom. (who incidentally are like BT / post office telephones were in the 60's, takes 4 months to get a phone line, god help you if you want it quicker)

Ireland seems to be a lot more into regulation for cash. Their PSA (like the SIA in the UK) conduct regular inspections everywhere, and also regulate cctv and intruder alarm systems. They inspect with lots of threats of fines, and rely on the income generated by said fines.

comreg seem to be on the same lines. We have never ever had random handset inspections by Ofcom, and one of our clients is a high street retailer with both uk and Ireland operations. Yet in Ireland, every single handset in use has been inspected. Some areas more than once.

Hi bigboyblue,

Yes indeed, I agree 100 percent with what tou say regards Southern Ireland. What is even more concerning is that if you attend an Accident & Emergency unit at any hospital it is fifty Euros (yes their currency is different also :eh: ) just to be triaged. If you do not have the cash on you, then you are required to provide your welfare issued medical card and identification, you are then invoiced for the initial fifty euro just to be seen then charged for any additional treatment/services....their whole system down their has been adapted from the American systems, I guess due to the close relationship that exists between Ireland and America.

Unfortunately it is like most things no matter where you go...politics, religion and money!

50 Euro wish they would charge people in NI for attending ED
Then there would be far less people clogging up The system who don't need it.
Icom IC-7000 HF/VHF/UHF with SM-20, President Lincoln MK2, ICOM IC-208, Kenwood TS 850 Sat & 790
Sirio 827, Long wire / Icom AH-2,
Modulator & Alpha Mobile Antennas
Moonraker Avanti 4.
Pofung GT1, Baofeng UV-5B.
Scanner: IC-R10
RM KL203P
Icom AT-180 Tuner

Dazza
68TM525
MI6 KFZ
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

I know we are OT, but in NI where I spend a lot of time, I can no longer get the 22 or so people working for me doctors appointments. Nowhere in Belfast is interested in routine visitors doctors appointments, so when somebody gets a blister, hurts their ankle, has a dodgy stomach they have to go to A&E and wait. On the reverse side, they then get medication free as there is no charge in NI. I've got long term medication from my doctors here and I get the prescriptions filled in Belfast. Supposed to be the United Kingdom, but it's very different - even the laws are different. In the theatre last year I had an OFCOM license check - never had one before, but they noticed the theatre did not have a license, and I needed to provide them with details of mine - so they do check, but I guess it's somewhat random. Worse still, my license over there does not allow me to add an extra frequency, so I needed to do a one off over there for an extra channel.
bobbyjobby

Post by bobbyjobby »

In regards to CTCSS, I found that before putting it in for Mountain Rescue etc for RX only, the frequencies were subject to interference. 100Hz being mains frequency. Once I put the CTCSS in, the interference stopped, or at least was greatly reduced, so if you can put it in, do.