NATO ships docked in Belfast

Scanning radio frequencies for Northern Ireland
stevelee1981
Regular
Regular

NATO ships docked in Belfast

Post by stevelee1981 »

Hi folks

Noticed on the marine traffic site that NATO currently have various ships docked in Belfast.
Something to do with a major exercise around the uk. Can anybody tell me will their comms
be on normal marine traffic channels or do NATO warships use other frequencies?

Many thanks
Steve..
bigbassman
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: NATO ships docked in Belfast

Post by bigbassman »

Steve I cant be of much help personally but try this Yahoo group.You'll probably find what you want there. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ni_scanner/
2 X PRO 2006 1 X DX-394 1 X GRE PSR 282 1 X UBC780XLT with ProScan 1 X Pro43 1 X Yaesu FRG 100 Uniden 125 XLT LCL 2740.
stevelee1981
Regular
Regular

Post by stevelee1981 »

bigbassman wrote:Steve I cant be of much help personally but try this Yahoo group.You'll probably find what you want there. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ni_scanner/
Many thanks for the help bigbassman i will give it a try

Steve
Minus1
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Minus1 »

They will be ships heading home after the Joint Warrior exercise.
http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/News-and-Ev ... l-exercise

I heard one Dutch Navy ship, whilst off the north west coast of Scotland, saying they were heading to Belfast after the exercise.

A lot of military intership comms during Joint Warrior used normal VHF marine channels, esp 69,71,72,74,77.

The only onboard freq I heard was 156.75/ :15 (This channel is limited to 1W power)

There were some UHF AM freqs in use, but these all seemed to be used for exercise scenarios.

One freq that might be worth checking is 269.8, said to be "NATO ConShip" though exactly in what circumstances it is used I'm unclear about.

Bear in mind that many frequency allocations around the world are not the same, so a valid freq in UK waters may be of limited use elsewhere, hence navy ships probably often use the international VHF channels for comms that don't need to be secure.

Of course each national navy will have other discrete and secure means of communicating with their own ships…
KEY : = channel/stud | ~ = CTCSS/DCS | ^ = transmitter site | ¯ = overhead | * = trunked
stevelee1981
Regular
Regular

Post by stevelee1981 »

Thanks for that Minus1

I just happened to stumble across the ships docked in Belfast when i was checking out the Marine traffic site,
then saw a piece on local news about the excercise taking place so wondered what ship to ship comms they might be using.

Thanks again
Steve